Coffee Cards

Love Cruises

Dear IECalCruiser,

Yes the last couple we ate breakfast with on our four top, she said she did purchase the C-Card on this cruise and had thrown away others before after each cruise. (( Knowledge is a wonderful learned attribute, eh..))

I did notice no lines at most times to obtain the Black Gold. More were getting the treats / eats..

On the Barista's, I do also think it is probably a personal choice by them .. as before it was.. some punch out once, some twice, some not a t all.

Those errors multiplied add up to many Black Bucks...:mad:

But you well know who makes out now best.. from the California Bean Counters Changes..eh...:eek:

Were those cards purchased on your cruise, or old cards? DW brought an old card and it was not exchanged for a new card on the Golden. Some baristas punched the old card and some didn't. Over 14 days, DW only had the card punched 7 times for fresh brewed. I saw someone who didn't like the change in policy and did not want to have an old card punched for the first time just to get fresh brewed coffee. It was definitively an error if a new card was punched for fresh brewed coffee.

Actually, I've found this thread pretty informative with the discriptions of all the different products you can get with a card. Would anyone happen to have pictures of the specialty coffee's? Like with swirls and whipped cream and such? :o
I am known to take the occasion cruise picture :eek:, but DW only drinks fresh brewed so I can't help you.

Incidentally, they are still honouring the old form of coffee cards (but no free brewed coffee)....which is rather nice as DW still has two of the old cards that she has not even begun to use.

Which she can trade in to get a card with all the punches good on that and future cruises as well as unlimited fresh brewed coffee on that cruise.

Which she can trade in to get a card with all the punches good on that and future cruises as well as unlimited fresh brewed coffee on that cruise.

So why aren't you showing ChrisB123 photos of specialty drinks? I know you have a photo of everything. :D

Incidentally, they are still honouring the old form of coffee cards (but no free brewed coffee)....which is rather nice as DW still has two of the old cards that she has not even begun to use.
If you have

If you have old cards that have never been punched, it can be exchanged for a new card. That new card is good for unlimited brewed coffee and 15 punches for that cruise. If you have a card that has been punched, it will be honored for the remaining punches ( brewed or specialty coffees).

The reason they are honoring the old cards in that fashion is because that was the rule when they were sold (grandfathered). That said, baristas are incentivised to sell coffee cards and may push back. So, you may have to go a manager.

That wasn't the process on the Golden. DW brought an old unpunched card on our cruises this month. No new card and no free fresh brewed on the cruise. Instead, the baristas just punched the old card for fresh brewed. Some baristas didn't punch the card so we only had the card punched 7 times over 14 days on the Golden.

It also wasn't the process on the Coral. DW's card was already punched, but I heard someone else tell the barista that they didn't their old unpunched card punched for fresh brewed and walked away from the Patisserie without any coffee.

If you have

If you have old cards that have never been punched, it can be exchanged for a new card. That new card is good for unlimited brewed coffee and 15 punches for that cruise. If you have a card that has been punched, it will be honored for the remaining punches ( brewed or specialty coffees).

The reason they are honoring the old cards in that fashion is because that was the rule when they were sold (grandfathered). That said, baristas are incentivised to sell coffee cards and may push back. So, you may have to go a manager.

There was no offer of an exchange on the Grand this month when DW used an unpunched coffee card in the old format.

That wasn't the process on the Golden. DW brought an old unpunched card on our cruises this month. No new card and no free fresh brewed on the cruise. Instead, the baristas just punched the old card for fresh brewed.

There was no offer of an exchange on the Grand this month when DW used an unpunched coffee card in the old format.

It is not an "offer." You need to ask for it. If the server at the bar does not acknowledge you can do it, then speak with a supervisor. If necessary, work your way up to the Food and Beverage Manager.

Is there a charge for espresso or cappuccino in the MDR at dinner time?

Thanks

Thanks, but regular coffee, tea and iced tea are ok? Or is there a charge for those also?

Espresso and Cappuccino are specialties and are charged at all times, not just in the main diningroom at dinner.

You can get regular coffee, tea and iced tea free, but the coffee is made from a concentrate and is awful. For me, it's awful. Perhaps not for you.

On the Star yesterday, my friend bought me a brewed with her card, since we forgot ours. The barista said she had to punch for brewed (they apparently did on the Golden the day before). When I pointed out that the value of a punch is more than the cost of a brewed, she didn't punch it.

That's what I don't get.

On our cruise in Feb, they let us use an old card for free brewed one day, but the next day switched it for a new card.

Espresso and Cappuccino are specialties and are charged at all times, not just in the main diningroom at dinner.

You can get regular coffee, tea and iced tea free, but the coffee is made from a concentrate and is awful. For me, it's awful. Perhaps not for you.

The iced tea may also be made from concentrate. It is very strong and we started asking for it "weak" which is diluted half with water. I will often brew tea from tea bags and make my own iced tea during the day.

On our cruise in Feb, they let us use an old card for free brewed one day, but the next day switched it for a new card.

The old card shouldn't have been used and whoever did it was informed of the new rules afterwards. It was all very new at the beginning of the year, so some baristas were still "untaught."

The iced tea may also be made from concentrate. It is very strong and we started asking for it "weak" which is diluted half with water. I will often brew tea from tea bags and make my own iced tea during the day.

I wouldn't know the difference with tea if it hit me in the face. :p Never drink cold, and the only time I drink hot is when I don't feel well. Those times it's herbal and it's flavored.

Thanks, but regular coffee, tea and iced tea are ok? Or is there a charge for those also?

There is a charge for brewed coffee in the MDRs, $1 as I recall.

But not for "regular", read syrup based, coffee.

Tea is free.:p

Don't miss afternoon "tea service" in one of the main dining rooms.

Patters, the daily schedule, will list the time and dining room.

Have you tried brewing for hot and Ice tea with whole leaf? It makes a world of difference for flavor. My local coffee store owner put me on to whole leaf teas, now I can't go back to the bags.

He recommended a combination Ceylon O.P & Assam for ice tea and straight Ceylon O.P. for hot tea. I can't tell the difference, but my palate isn't sensitive enough to distinguish between them.

http://www.javacoffee.com/Tea-c15/

At night in the MDR, I ask for a half glass of tea. It usually takes 2 or 3 nights before the Asst Waiter brings a half glass. They just find it hard to comprehend that someone only wants half a glass. After seeing me dilute the tea with water from my water glass, they begin to understand. I dilute the tea at lunch myself or like you use a teabag with a cup of hot water.

Yes, the iced tea is also from concentrate, like what you sometimes get out of soda fountain machines. It's nasty! I love iced tea and could drink it all day, but not this stuff. At lunch in the HC, I ask for lemonade, which is too sweet, and then get some iced tea, which is too strong, and mix them. I don't usually put lemon and sugar in my iced tea, but this is the only way I find either one to be drinkable.

I also bring along Lipton "Cold Brew" bags and make my own sometimes.

Archived