Coffee Cards

Love Cruises

• Administrators
On the Star yesterday, my friend bought me a brewed with her card, since we forgot ours. The barista said she had to punch for brewed (they apparently did on the Golden the day before). When I pointed out that the value of a punch is more than the cost of a brewed, she didn't punch it.

Wait a minute, I don't understand this. Someone has coffee card in hand, and "brewed" coffee is included in the price yet they wanted to punch for it?

Makes no sense. Can anyone clarify?

Wait a minute, I don't understand this. Someone has coffee card in hand, and "brewed" coffee is included in the price yet they wanted to punch for it?

Makes no sense. Can anyone clarify?

It means the attendant has not been trained properly

Probably a silly question but, do you have to buy one coffee card each or will one card be okay to share?

No question about cruising is silly.

The coffee card has two components.

First is that there are 15 punches which can be used to get specialty coffees. That can be shared as it does not matter who uses the punches. You have bought 15 drinks and anyone can drink them.

The other part is unlimited brewed coffee for the voyage the card was purchased on. It is obviously intended to be used by the one person who purchased the card. Sharing this feature with others is like two people eating at a land buffet but only paying for one person.

If punches remain unused at the end of the voyage, they can be used on future Princess trips, but if you want brewed coffee on the future trips, it will use a punch.

Is the coffee from the coffee cafe that much better than what is served in the DR or buffet?

How does it compare to Starbucks, Gloria Jean, Beanery etc?

Thanks

HEY! Why didn't you mention Dunkin? :D The BEST coffee ever! :)

Hi. Please explain what's so enjoyable about the tea service each day. Thanks.
Afternoon Tea is held in one of the dinning rooms from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM every day except Embarkation. You are served tea, scones with jam and "clotted cream", small sandwiches and desserts. On the Golden this month there was a Piano player. It's a nice place to relax in the afternoon and perhaps have conversation with friends. We just discovered Afternoon Tea last year after nine cruises with Princess.

Afternoon Tea is held in one of the dinning rooms from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM every day except Embarkation. You are served tea, scones with jam and "clotted cream", small sandwiches and desserts. On the Golden this month there was a Piano player. It's a nice place to relax in the afternoon and perhaps have conversation with friends. We just discovered Afternoon Tea last year after nine cruises with Princess.

Waiters wear their long sleeve white shirts, black vest and gloves. Really nice. But you do not have to dress for this. We just wear whatever we have been wearing for the day. Usually skip lunch when we do this so we won't be stuffed when dinner time comes around.

Thanks, but regular coffee, tea and iced tea are ok? Or is there a charge for those also?

Regular (and decaf) coffee, tea, iced tea and the ship's "faucet" iced water are complimentary in the dining venues. The bars also serve complimentary faucet iced water.

Forgot lemonade which is usually only available in the Horizon Buffet during lunch and dinner. You might have to ask for it.

Also, in the morning there are various juices available in the buffet and dining room. If you don't see a juice you like, just ask.

Regular (and decaf) coffee, tea, iced tea and the ship's "faucet" iced water are complimentary in the dining venues. The bars also serve complimentary faucet iced water.

Forgot lemonade which is usually only available in the Horizon Buffet during lunch and dinner. You might have to ask for it.

Also, in the morning there are various juices available in the buffet and dining room. If you don't see a juice you like, just ask.

And milk is available at all meals and in the buffet and from room service.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got off the Caribbean Princess after a 14 day btb. On the sea days an attendant came around the Promenade Deck at 3:00 pm and served hot coffee/hot tea with little sandwiches. This wasn't done last year when we did the same trip.

Earlier this year Princess did mention this would be done in addition to the daily Afternoon Tea in a dining room.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess after a 14 day btb. On the sea days an attendant came around the Promenade Deck at 3:00 pm and served hot coffee/hot tea with little sandwiches. This wasn't done last year when we did the same trip.

This should be posted on those threads where everyone is bemoaning the fact that some things are no longer available. Very nice touch.

Was it the free coffee and tea or was it the coffee from the Coffee Cafe that you had to purchase if you didn't have a card?

Yes, the iced tea is also from concentrate, like what you sometimes get out of soda fountain machines. It's nasty! I love iced tea and could drink it all day, but not this stuff. At lunch in the HC, I ask for lemonade, which is too sweet, and then get some iced tea, which is too strong, and mix them. I don't usually put lemon and sugar in my iced tea, but this is the only way I find either one to be drinkable.

I also bring along Lipton "Cold Brew" bags and make my own sometimes.

Had a chuckle about your comment not drinking sugar and lemon in tea. Down here in the South, we use both. It is our national drink. We have a hard time when we go north with the small amount of ice added. I have to order a glass of ice and then add the tea. We do learn to compensate;)

HEY! Why didn't you mention Dunkin? :D The BEST coffee ever! :)

Actually Community Coffee (esp the Columbia Verison) it the best!!! Never bitter can be as strong as you can get it and still not bitter. This converted me from Dunkin a long time ago. Never could like Starbucks even with a good book in hand it just never tasted quite right.

Had a chuckle about your comment not drinking sugar and lemon in tea. Down here in the South, we use both. It is our national drink. We have a hard time when we go north with the small amount of ice added. I have to order a glass of ice and then add the tea. We do learn to compensate;)

Being in Florida, we get our share of Northern Vistors so I love the look on their faces when a server asks them if the want Sweet Tea or Unsweet Tea. They seem dumbfounded!!!! :confused:

I can now drink both but I was raised on sugar in the tea. (2 cups sugar to one gallon of water; refrigerate). :D

About the water, is it filtered? Is it just plain old tap water? I like sparkling water too and remember that it is free. Or am I just remembering wrong?
If sparkling water was ever free, it isn't any longer. Waiters will try to upsell the purchase of sparkling or still bottled water, but the tap water is just fine. Depending upon the ship, sea water is processed through a flash evaporator or reverse osmosis to make essentially the equivalent of distilled water.

the tap water is just fine. Depending upon the ship, sea water is processed through a flash evaporator or reverse osmosis to make essentially the equivalent of distilled water.

Since distilled water is not palatable, the distilled water equivalent is then passed through a mineralizer which provides a good taste to the tap water on ship. I learned this from the chief engineer of the Diamond Princess during the Ultimate Ships Tour.

IMHO there is no need to purchase bottled water on board as the tap water is excellent.

Since distilled water is not palatable, the distilled water equivalent is then passed through a mineralizer which provides a good taste to the tap water on ship. I learned this from the chief engineer of the Diamond Princess during the Ultimate Ships Tour.

IMHO there is no need to purchase bottled water on board as the tap water is excellent.

Thanks for adding that point. On the Golden last month one of the Princess videos running on TV described the process. They also at times may take on fresh water at certain ports.

Thanks for adding that point. On the Golden last month one of the Princess videos running on TV described the process. They also at times may take on fresh water at certain ports.

Now you have me wondering if they also process the fresh water they take on board?

Now you have me wondering if they also process the fresh water they take on board?
I was a little surprised that the video said they do that. It is a matter of capacity and they can only produce so much with on board equipment so I doubt that they would be able to process the water again on board.

Archived