Komodo Island - Additional Touring Advice

acruisergirl

• 3 months later...

In researching, I get the feeling that there is a lot of hype in seeing the dragons.....and it's pricey. Kind of reminds me of seeing the penguins come in from their day out to sea, back to their warrens....we were in New Zealand and on benches with stadium lights! I hate traps and rip offs.......where is the authenticitcy....is it? So, Id like an honest opinion out there for the kimono dragons? Should we just stay onboard and watch crocodile Dundee? Am really on the fence on this one!!!

Thanks!

Edited by schooltchr

I was worried about going there because I thought I was going to trek through the jungle, knee deep in mud and get eaten by mosquitoes before I either collapsed with heat stroke or got bitten by a dragon. Too many stories on line.

You are going to an Island that not many people have the privilege to see - don't miss this experience. It's once in a life time, the scenery is stunning. The heat IS incredible so take as much water as you can carry!

In researching, I get the feeling that there is a lot of hype in seeing the dragons.....and it's pricey. Kind of reminds me of seeing the penguins come in from their day out to sea, back to their warrens....we were in New Zealand and on benches with stadium lights! I hate traps and rip offs.......where is the authenticitcy....is it? So, Id like an honest opinion out there for the kimono dragons? Should we just stay onboard and watch crocodile Dundee? Am really on the fence on this one!!!

Thanks!

Absolutely go ashore, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see those dragons. You can choose between a short or bit longer walk through the forest. Both are so unique.

Yes it is pricey, Komodo is a national park, there is no other place in the world like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Our cruise in January is stopping at Komodo, Indonesia from 8AM - 11PM. There are two excursions offered by Azamara: Kampung Komodo Village/Pink Beach and Komodo Dragon Adventure, both can be completed by mid afternoon. We plan to see the dragons but are debating on the second village/beach tour. Does anyone know if there are other tours (sailing, beach treks, etc.) offered at the port. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Do go to the pink beach. The Komodo is in the heart of the coral triangle, and the Komodo Marine Park surrounding the island is one of the premier, if not the best, diving destinations in the world! Divers and snorkelers spend a fortune flying in from every corner of the world to dive/snorkel, usually one-week on diving boat called liveaboard. I've been there twice to snorkel. In the pink beach you'll be greeted with tons of Nemo, soft and hard corals and fish. The downside is that after Komodo, you won't be bothered with snorkeling in Hawaii or Caribbean.

Komodo Village is a small native village. All houses are built on stilts to avoid unwelcome visitors at night. Not much but interesting somewhat.

There's no accessible beach from the pier, and they do not allow anyone wondering around unaccompanied. They'll take you by boat to the village and the pink beach.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi,

Is there anyone visiting Komodo Island from Sapphire Princess on 19 Jan? As we are looking to get a group together to do a group tour of the island and pink beach (inc snorkelling). Please let me know ASAP if you're interested.

Just make sure that you post or repost to your roll call -- that is where you will find the specific persons interested on going with YOU. Go to Princess roll calls then Sapphire then date of sailing. Good luck finding a group.

• 1 month later...

FYI - There is much more to Komodo than just the dragons. The Komodo National Marin Park is one of the premier dive/snorkel sites in the WORLD, if not the best! It is in the epicenter of the world's marin bio-diversity. More diverse than the Great Barrier Reef.

Most of the dive ships called liveaboard leave from Bali for one week cruise, and of course stop at Komodo and nearby Rinca to see dragons. People spend a fortune, myself included, flying from North America and Europe just to dive there.

Pink Beach, though I'd think it might be spoiled by now, was a great snorkeling and diving spot. After all Komodo and Indonesian archipelago sits in the center of the coral triangle.

I've been there twice, and I'm contemplating the third trip. Once was enough for me for dragons, and the village is nothing to write home about. The island itself is dry, the driest area in Indonesia, and buggy. Don't forget insect repellent.

Edited by realwoman

Hello SandySS! Yes, the rest of us have been remiss in posting, but better late than never!

I am travelling with a family group and we are keen to also get a driver in Borneo to visit the Sepilok and the Proboscis monkeys. would you mind awfully telling me where you found your driver and roughly how much you have bee quoted?

With regard to Komodo, we are currently in negotations with a guide to take us on a guided walk. He has quoted us US$80 per person for a 5 hour tour which includes lunch. He has quoted an additional $20pp if we want to go snorkelling afterwards. It seems that this price may not be too bad based on what I am reading here. I am asking the guide if he can do a better price if we take a shorter tour. It sounds like quite a bit of the time may be filler. I will let you know how I go.

I am looking forward to meeting you all onboard. See you next week!

Warm regards,

Nikki

Hi Nikki. I'm at the airport now, so can't get to my notes easily. I got our driver for Borneo fromTripAdvisor. We are in a group of 8, and as I recall, the cost, including admissions is less than $100 per person. For Komodo, we are paying $60 per person in a group of 31. We are heading to Bali tonight and will spend 5 days there before boarding our cruise. See you on board.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello SandySS! Yes, the rest of us have been remiss in posting, but better late than never!

I am travelling with a family group and we are keen to also get a driver in Borneo to visit the Sepilok and the Proboscis monkeys. would you mind awfully telling me where you found your driver and roughly how much you have bee quoted?

With regard to Komodo, we are currently in negotations with a guide to take us on a guided walk. He has quoted us US$80 per person for a 5 hour tour which includes lunch. He has quoted an additional $20pp if we want to go snorkelling afterwards. It seems that this price may not be too bad based on what I am reading here. I am asking the guide if he can do a better price if we take a shorter tour. It sounds like quite a bit of the time may be filler. I will let you know how I go.

I am looking forward to meeting you all onboard. See you next week!

Warm regards,

Nikki

Hi Nikki! We are on the Azamara cruise next year that stops at Komodo.

Who is the guide that you are negotiating with, and their contact info? Have you agreed to a final price? I appreciate any information that you can provide!

Thanks, and have a great trip!

-Larry

Hi Nikki! We are on the Azamara cruise next year that stops at Komodo.

Who is the guide that you are negotiating with, and their contact info? Have you agreed to a final price? I appreciate any information that you can provide!

Thanks, and have a great trip!

-Larry

Larry, I am not Nikki, but I wanted to share with you my experience at Komodo Island. I was on the January sailing of the Sapphire Princess, and we used gotokomodo.com (Hendrik was our contact).

Komodo is a tender port. Upon arrival at the dock, we were met by Hendrik and his staff. We had a member of Hendrik's staff accompany us through the park, along with a park ranger. After the park visit, we walked back to the dock, and boarded a small boat and sailed to the Pink Beach. At the beach, we were able to snorkle. After the snorkling, we had a nice lunch on the boat, and then returned to the dock to catch the tender back to the ship.

The price for our group was $95 per person, but I think the costs may have gone up a little since then due to increased costs at the park. Our tour lasted about 5 1/2 hours.

The visit to Komodo was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Larry, I am not Nikki, but I wanted to share with you my experience at Komodo Island. I was on the January sailing of the Sapphire Princess, and we used gotokomodo.com (Hendrik was our contact).

Komodo is a tender port. Upon arrival at the dock, we were met by Hendrik and his staff. We had a member of Hendrik's staff accompany us through the park, along with a park ranger. After the park visit, we walked back to the dock, and boarded a small boat and sailed to the Pink Beach. At the beach, we were able to snorkle. After the snorkling, we had a nice lunch on the boat, and then returned to the dock to catch the tender back to the ship.

The price for our group was $95 per person, but I think the costs may have gone up a little since then due to increased costs at the park. Our tour lasted about 5 1/2 hours.

The visit to Komodo was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Thank you very much for the info!!

I'm pretty sure that we are going to book with Hendrik. I also wanted a tour that included the snorkeling.

We visited Komodo Island in Feb. 2015. We took the ship's tour. Not so crowded because the Azamara Quest only has about 600 passengers.

The dragons were interesting. The guide for our group spoke good English but he "lectured" too long on things that were not that interesting (crows, wild pigs and one mushroom). My main advice is to take the SHORT ROUTE and see the dragons and go back to the lovely cool ship for a long tall one.

(I read that information before going but I didn't follow it -- wish I had)

The island is very hot and all basically take the same path (2 forks long route and short route which do come together) and there were almost more trinket vendors in the stalls at the end of the trail than customers to buy. Dragons were very visible and to my way of thinking some very "dumb" tourists were getting way too close with their body parts to some very large mouths!!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Hi there, anyone going on Pacific Jewel in June 2015 and wants to join a tour to Komodo Island then Pink Beach, includes lunch etc? My husband and I are going with Hendrick (go to komodo) Hendrick has asked me to mention it on here so others can join the group. Please email him for further information.

hendrickenglishtourguide@gmail.com and mention Kevin to get a good price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You are welcome.

So heres link to my Komodo Island blog with some pics of jeffry's boat and the trail map and hiking conditions so you can get an idea of what the day should be like.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/boatybex/

Thanks Bex,

I watch your beautiful pictures and helpful information on your journals and love it. Thanks again.

Angela