Packing mistakes

ncshp955

My 1st cruise I packed all the OTC meds you could imagine needing in the original bottles... Advil, Immodium, Pepto, Gravol, Benadry, Cold & Sinus, Zantac. Considering I buy most stuff @ Costco you can imagine the space it took up!! Since then I picked up one of those 7 day pill sorters and fill each compartment with one of the pills and label it on the bottom. Saves a ton of space in the luggage!

Always pack the duct tape (about 3-4 ft wrapped around an empty gift card) and had never used it UNTIL the zipper broke on my new suitcase at the hotel the morning we were heading to the ship... had a nice $200 Heys suitcase that looked like it came from hillbilly junction covered in duct tape!

I also had some of those cool flamingo beach towel clips that I left somewhere... rather than spend the $6 to buy a new set I picked up a set of black clamps in the hardware aisle at the Dollar Store for a buck!

Pool Noodle... pick one up for a couple bucks, bend it around the outside of the suitcase (cushions things inside!) much cheaper than spending the $10-15 renting one of the cruise line beach floats!!

As an aside - one thing I ALWAYS do is type out my name, address, ship and stateroom and take a photo of it. If you found a camera what are you going to do... turn it on and look at the photos! Hopefully someone would return the camera or minimally mail the memory card back to you.

I have forgot ALL my shorts nicely ironed sitting on the ironing board at home - who would think finding shorts in Florida would be a problem!! And my sunglasses had a nice vacation sitting at the airport parking lot - the drawback of having to get to the airport essentially in the middle of the night... now I put them right next to my toothbrush the night before so as soon as I do that they go on top of my head... it was a good excuse for a new pair of RayBans though ;)

One thing for the bungee cords is sometimes when I have my balcony partition opened, it opens to where it blocks my door, so I use the bungee cords to hold it open in away it doesn't block my door. Since you are not supposed to lock you 're suitcases, I use zip ties to hold the zippers closed while bags are being handled. Just a couple uses

I too use zip ties to keep zipper tight, bring extra (I lost mine on the cruise). I've used a bungee one time when the suitcase zipper broke. That's another use for duct tape. You never know when the suitcase will fail during embarcation. The tape came in handy on one rough cruise. Taped the drawers and closet doors to stop the banging sound.

Extra memory cards to switch out. EXCELLENT idea!! I am going to do that for sure!

I carry small capacity cards too. I take a picture of my S&S card, also a picture of handwritten name, address, e mail address, phone number. I will next time add..send me the memory card just in case you decide not to return the camera!

I have never left it behind, but I see a lack of common sense when I go on vacations. Please make sure you bring plenty. ha ha ha

To be serious for the slightest of moments, Advil. I paid like $11.00 for a bottle of 20 or so in the store onboard. I don't plan on forgetting that anymore.

:DLOL I paid $6.00 for small bottle of nail polish remover on Grand Cayman

One thing for the bungee cords is sometimes when I have my balcony partition opened, it opens to where it blocks my door, so I use the bungee cords to hold it open in away it doesn't block my door. Since you are not supposed to lock you 're suitcases, I use zip ties to hold the zippers closed while bags are being handled. Just a couple uses

I packed a bungee cord. ( don't have door to hold open :( ) but was thinking it may stretch accross shower to hang MORE wet clothes ...

Make sure the top of your nail polish is tightly closed, especially if your nail tech added some thinner to it when he did your nails the day before you left. And look into the ziplock bag you transport the polish in before you stick your hand into it while unpacking on the ship.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread!

I have a permanent packing list but I did add a few more things as I read this thread. The Dioralyte I had never heard of, but will definitely be getting.

We will be leaving in a few weeks for a 3 1/2 month trip. It has been a long time waiting.

2 cruises ago I only packed a bottle of conditioner only slightly bigger than a travel size. My hair wasn't that long so I didn't think I needed more than that. My hair was so dry and brittle that I ended up using more than needed so my hair would feel and be moisturized that I was out of conditioner by day 3.

Other than that the only thing I've forgotten was bandaids

For our first cruise I really didn't read CC much so I just had assumed that a cruise ship cabin would be similar to a hotel room. Well you know what happens with assuming....

Anyways I really missed having a clock. One of those travel ones that is good for setting an alarm or just seeing what time it is in the middle of the night. Especially since I didn't have my phone on or with me most of the time like I do at home. I will not forget this ever again. It's permanently on my packing list. I just can't stand waking up and not knowing if it's 12am or 3am!

I am surprised the number of folks on Carnival that took power strips as ours got nabbed and labled as a not allowed. It was returned at the end of the cruise.

I was just on Carnival's site and this is what they said about power strips:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I need to bring a power strip and extension cord because my mom is on a cpap machine.

power strip. had to keep switching Ipod, Ipad, and DVD player plugs around. My autistic son uses all three for communication and entertainment.

Power strip has been taken out of my bag twice by Carnival.

My power strip was not confiscated on the Elation in July. It was almost new but not still in packaging. Next trip I'll try to take one that is still in packaging. I also seem to remember reading on here somewhere that a strip with an on/off switch and a light was considered safer but that may be wild conjecture.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Make yourself a "cruise kit" I keep a small tupperware type container (9" x 9") and before each cruise I toss it in my checked luggage (you'll see why when I give you the contents) That way it's always there and ready to go. It may sound crazy but almost all of the items I have used at one time or another.

Flat first aid kit. A few antiseptic swaps, bandaids etc. Typically a campers type from Wal Mart is perfect.

One small container of Purell hand sanitizer

A miniature bottle of OFF insect repellant

An off brand Gerber multi-tool. It has a knife, small pliers, etc. Handy for everything from cutting a string off a frayed edge to using the pliers when ultimately your luggage zipper is caught.

A miniature screwdriver set (the kind used for repairing glasses that has an extra couple of screws) Nothing is worse than having to use your duct tape because the screw to your sunglasses fell out in the sea.

A combination corkscrew/bottle opener. I hate getting a bon voyage bottle of wine and having nothing to open it with.....

5 to 10 wet one individual wipes. Throw a few in your pocket at each port. You can never tell when you will have a chance to clean up before a lunch or after a long day of touring.

SHOUT individual stain remover packets. Perfect for that occassional food dribble that I am required to get on my shirt I planned on wearing later in the week or within 5 minutes of putting it on.

Two rolls of Tums. We can talk all we want about buffets and multiple meals, but you also have to worry about the consequences and it's not like you can run down to the local convenience store in the middle of the night.

The always critical extension cord.

A mag-lite. Perfect to put beside the bed for when a late night bathroom run is needed, plus an added bonus, screw the head completely off, stand it on it's end and it makes an excellent night lite for reading.

A tube of super glue. I've actually used this a few times for a minor repair that duct tape wouldn't help, specifically a decorate type button or item on my wife's clothes.

A few safety pins.

Clear finger nail polish (repairs nylons)

A bungee cord (for the balcony rooms)

2 refrigerator magnets, thick size (for the AC unit when the bungee cord is being used)

Three or four pens, for some reason we can never find one to write a note or jot something down.

A small hotel type sewing kit

Immodium AD, once again for all of over indulgence and port visits.

Asprin, Advil. Cold Medicine (mainly a small medicine cabinet) you can get most items at Dollar Tree Store)

A couple of minature chip type clips. Sometimes they are used to hold things on a refrigerator or come in a bigger package, you could always use clothes pins or the like. We always use ours on the window drapes to keep sunlight out early in the morning.

Zip ties. These are the ties usually to hold audio video cables together (you've some the much larger ones used as plastic handcuffs in riot situations on t.v. etc.) We always put these as a lock on our luggage, not so much to keep anyone out but to keep the bag from opening inadvertently. They can be taken off by security if necessary very easily, plus it lets you know immediatly if someone has been in your bag.

extra battaries for book light.

Almost all of the above items are very very inexpensive and a majority of them I found a "everythings a dollar" type store.

find some mini ziplock bags 2" x 2" (craft stores) and fill with over the counter meds. Lastly buy real dogtags at your Army/Navy store (probably under $3 with 4 lines of info) and attach to all your luggage' date=' camera, lap top, beach bag, purse.[/quote']

I got a pack 100-150 of those little ziplock bags in CVS. I take a lot of vitamins and my DH has daily meds. I put one days worth in each bag - lot better than taking a bunch of bottles.

Great idea about the dog tags!

Make yourself a "cruise kit" Mine is in a large ziploc bag.

One small container of Purell hand sanitizer. There are many dispensers around the ship. I use the individual packets if I need extra sanitizing - several go in the day bag mostly.

A miniature bottle of OFF insect repellant. I found individual packets with toweletts that have OFF - they pack easily.

An off brand Gerber multi-tool. Don't forget to remove it from your carryon... just in case stuff gets re-distributed for weight. (personal experience here)

A mag-lite. I use my smart phone app that turns on the flash - great flashlight!

Zip ties. I use twist ties - they are easy to take off - again not specifically for security - more for the accidental unzipping.

Another useful thing is a small tote bag in which to carry stuff that does not fit on the return trip (read souvineers). Bought a really nice one in the gift shop on the Queen Elizabeth - will go on ALL future trips.

I once forgot SOCKS - 2 week trip to Alaska. Had the concierge at the (pre-night stay) hotel take me to the local Wal-Mart type store....

Clocks... I use the cell phone... I have it with me anyway. It has a good alarm. BUT remember there are 2 other type of alarms available to you on the ship... a Wake Up call is easily arranged on the phone and (our personal favorite) ROOM SERVICE... a guy will knock on your door WITH coffee and breakfast treats - trust me... you will wake up when the knocking begins. :eek:

I am considering leaving the over the door shoe thingie home this trip... we have not used it much the last couple of trips. . . the rooms have had sufficient storage... My goal is 2 people - 5 days to Carrib in one med carry-on(clothes) and one small carry-on(shoes). We'll see. :rolleyes:

Here's my packing list...I adjust as needed but this list was from ideas I received on the boards. Some things I do take, some not. You can mark it off as you place it in your suitcase. It helps organizing and makes sure you don't forget anything.

p.s.

my nook too...need to add that to the list.

Whoa! And this all fits in 12 suitcases?!?!?!:eek:

Forgot contact lens case once. I couldn't even get an empty pill bottle at the Medical Center--they put meds in small baggies. Finally found a case in the liquor store on board! There was a small, almost hidden shelf with Pringles, bandaids and other strange stuff.

Last trip, forgot my hat. It was on the top shelf and not with my cruise things. It's with cruise stuff now!

Once I left my watch. Went to a Walgreen's and got a $25 Timex. That was about 10 years ago. I've since changed the battery twice in it and it's still ticking away. The Ann Klein one I got onboard--battery dead after 2 months. Put one in, battery dead in 3 months...

I put the over the door thingie in the closet too. That was I can close the door and the steward doesn't need to have that in his face while cleaning.

I keep it full between cruises and keep it on a closet door at home. Packing times comes the morning of the cruise. I take my dressy clothes with dry cleaner bags on them and put that in the case leaving them on hangars. Then all the tshirts on hangars, shorts, personals. Then the over the door thingie goes in. When unpacking it only takes about 4 minutes since everything is already on a hangar.

Two cruises ago, I left all our hang up clothes in the closet. This included sundresses, blouses, husbands's button up shirt, etc. I don't know how, but my dress for elegant night made it. Go figure.

Pants, my wife forgot to pack and pants for me. Had to rent a tux on board just to have 1 pair. I was nopants Bob for the rntire week

This is the stuff of pre cruise nightmares! And the guy with no underwear! Yikes!:eek:

Archived