Help! I've accidentally booked a 9am flight after Allure...

jarz85

US airways has a same day change fee of $25pp if same destination space is available on another flight the same day you have booked but this only can be done on the day of travel. You could perhaps call if you are not able to get to FLL for the 9AM flight.

Last Spring I mistakenly booked a later connecting flight than I originally intended and paid this fee to avoid a 5 hours layover in PHL on the way to SJU. I had mistakenly booked the connecting flight with an approximate 1:30PM departure instead of a 1:30PM arrival and paid the fee to get on the earlier flight which I knew had lots of availability. The later connection we had would still have allowed us to make our 8:30PM sailing but the change lowered our travel time by almost 4 hours and got us onboard that much sooner. It was an US Air telephone representative who suggested this rather than paying the $150pp change fee for a change done prior to the travel day and there wasn't any fare adjustment.

I fly US Airways weekly for work.....The same day fee is to go to an earlier flight (called "Move Up"). Also, that fee has recently gone up ($50 or $75 I believe). If you miss your flight and want to get booked on a later flight it is up to the agent (I've seen the reservation flat out canceled--that will definitely happen if you don't contact them prior to flight time, person charged the $150 change fee and other times just put on standby for later flights).

I kinda stuffed up my original post. The flight is from Fort Lauderdale to Washington DC lol. Not that it really matters, it's just the time!

We will carry our bags off, be out the door at 6.00am and line up. I'm just annoyed I won't get 1 more breakfast for free :D

I plan on writing a very intensive photo review when I get back and will post it on here in the forum. It will all lead up to the final morning!

No way will this stress us out all week! We are on a 10 week USA vacation and this cruise will be amazing. We just will have to skip breakfast and line up at 530am to get off. That way will we be in the first few people off. If for some reason the ship docks late... Medical reason etc then it might be okay to use travel insurance because its an unforeseen circumstance!

If that fails we will just fully turn on our Aussie accents at the airport and be really nice (we are anyway) and hopefully they will transfer us to the 1155am flight!

If that fails I'm sure JetBlue etc will have some last minute seats and they won't be much more than $200pp. It would just suck if I paid the $800 now and then we would have been able to make the early flight!

At least this will make the end of my review interesting

I think you've got the right idea! Remember that a lot of advice you are getting here is from Americans who cruise because its a very low stress, easy way to vacation. And cruising is very easy and stress free, so it selects for people who may not be so comfortable taking chances with other kinds of international travel. But most folks who do a lot of international travel understand that delays, risks etc happen and just roll with it!

You sound prepared to enjoy your trip despite a tight deadline, and if you don't make it, are prepared to not freak out and to find a plan b ( or c). So have a great trip, and I'm fairly certain you will have no trouble making that flight! Plus I always point out when these threads come up...if you don't make it to the ship it will sail away without you, but if you dont get off in time...NY will still be there the next day;)

Rick- you can get some non perishables at the Cafes the night before you disembark and have a quick bite of what you've hung onto in the AM before you go! There are some packaged goods in the Park Cafe and Promenade cafe that you could even take with you onto the plane...no need to skip breaky!;)

I kinda stuffed up my original post. The flight is from Fort Lauderdale to Washington DC lol. Not that it really matters, it's just the time!

We will carry our bags off, be out the door at 6.00am and line up. I'm just annoyed I won't get 1 more breakfast for free :D

I plan on writing a very intensive photo review when I get back and will post it on here in the forum. It will all lead up to the final morning!

The morning before you depart at breakfast grab some extra danish and fruit put in your refrig and have it the morning of departure.You can eat it while waiting in line to depart. Good Luck

It will go fine if RCI has redesigned the process for LOS. I thought disembarking on deck one was a major cause of the backlog....

I believe the process for Allure is well designed and the OP will in all likelihood do well.

Last December it was still deck 1 for Liberty in Ft Lauderdale. I wonder if that will be changed this year?

I don't really know why disembarkation was from deck 1 when embarkation was not onto that deck??!!:confused::rolleyes:

I think you've got the right idea! Remember that a lot of advice you are getting here is from Americans who cruise because its a very low stress, easy way to vacation. And cruising is very easy and stress free, so it selects for people who may not be so comfortable taking chances with other kinds of international travel. But most folks who do a lot of international travel understand that delays, risks etc happen and just roll with it!

You sound prepared to enjoy your trip despite a tight deadline, and if you don't make it, are prepared to not freak out and to find a plan b ( or c). So have a great trip, and I'm fairly certain you will have no trouble making that flight! Plus I always point out when these threads come up...if you don't make it to the ship it will sail away without you, but if you dont get off in time...NY will still be there the next day;)

I heard that the Windjammer opens at 530am on getting off day? Is that true?

I like the idea of stocking up on supplies! But at the end of the day we are happy to sacrifice breakfast and pay $$$ at the airport for a sandwich if it means we make the plane. The other upside to this is if we make the flight we have an extra 3 hours in Washington DC :D (We were only allocating one night here before driving to Niagara Falls1)

I like the idea of stocking up on supplies! But at the end of the day we are happy to sacrifice breakfast and pay $$$ at the airport for a sandwich if it means we make the plane. The other upside to this is if we make the flight we have an extra 3 hours in Washington DC :D (We were only allocating one night here before driving to Niagara Falls1)

We were on the Allure last March and did walk off and were at the airport by shortly after 8am.

My advise is have everything ready and go to the designated area 15 minutes prior to the time they suggest you be there. We were on our way to the threater (where we were told to be at 8am and they were already allowing passenger off but the announcement hadn't be announced yet.) We didn't saunder getting off- walked right along and took as quickly as possible and took a taxi and arrived in plenty of time. A few lines at the airport but nothing like it would have been later in the morning. We always walk off and barring any ship delays you'll be fine. Don't worry--enjoy the cruise and take changes as they come. You'll love the Allure-so much to do and see.

The other upside to this is if we make the flight we have an extra 3 hours in Washington DC :D (We were only allocating one night here before driving to Niagara Falls1)

The windjammer opens very early on disembark day.

You will be glad to have the extra time in DC. I live a couple of hours south of DC. There are MANY things to see and do.

One thing you might want to look into (to make the most of your time) is an evening (twi-light) tour of the various monuments. I have been to all of the monuments many times. However, I took one of these night tours and felt it was beautiful. (most other sites are closed by this time)

The windjammer opens very early on disembark day.

You will be glad to have the extra time in DC. I live a couple of hours south of DC. There are MANY things to see and do.

One thing you might want to look into (to make the most of your time) is an evening (twi-light) tour of the various monuments. I have been to all of the monuments many times. However, I took one of these night tours and felt it was beautiful. (most other sites are closed by this time)

I know this is slightly off topic but do you recommend a hop on hop off bus your thing and then do their night tour? Or can we do it by car? I imagine you can't park outside the White House haha.

No matter what time they suggest we will be out our cabin by 6am lining up to get off

I know this is slightly off topic but do you recommend a hop on hop off bus your thing and then do their night tour? Or can we do it by car? I imagine you can't park outside the White House haha.

No matter what time they suggest we will be out our cabin by 6am lining up to get off

Having grown up in suburban Washington, DC, I highly suggest not using a car at all in the city! The METRO (subway) runs to Reagan National Airport and you can get most places in the city using it. If you are planning on staying anywhere near a METRO stop and driving to NY the next day, I'd personally suggest not renting the car when you arrive. Return to the airport via METRO the next morning and get the car then. Parking is expensive and limited in the city. For security reasons you'll find streets closed, etc. Also, it is easy to end up in a not so good area without warning especially when driving. If you have to get the car upon arrival, I'd drive straight to the hotel, park and explore using public transportation.

I believe there are a couple of options for hop on/hop off style tours (haven't done the tourist thing there in a while) which would also be a good way to see the sights. For the night tour I'd definitely take an organized tour (more enjoyable b/c you don't have to worry about where you're going and you don't want to accidently end up in certain areas of the city, especially after dark).

The morning before you depart at breakfast grab some extra danish and fruit put in your refrig and have it the morning of departure.You can eat it while waiting in line to depart. Good Luck

Brings to mind one of my tips (which I use) is to pack quart and gallon sized ziploc bags.

Having grown up in suburban Washington, DC, I highly suggest not using a car at all in the city! The METRO (subway) runs to Reagan National Airport and you can get most places in the city using it. If you are planning on staying anywhere near a METRO stop and driving to NY the next day, I'd personally suggest not renting the car when you arrive. Return to the airport via METRO the next morning and get the car then. Parking is expensive and limited in the city. For security reasons you'll find streets closed, etc. Also, it is easy to end up in a not so good area without warning especially when driving. If you have to get the car upon arrival, I'd drive straight to the hotel, park and explore using public transportation.

I believe there are a couple of options for hop on/hop off style tours (haven't done the tourist thing there in a while) which would also be a good way to see the sights. For the night tour I'd definitely take an organized tour (more enjoyable b/c you don't have to worry about where you're going and you don't want to accidently end up in certain areas of the city, especially after dark).

I agree with everything just said. If your flight is into Reagan National (DCA) Metro--subway-- will get you into the city. or --sttay in a Crystal City hotel near the airport and take the metro in for sightseeing.

If you fly into Dulles (IAD) it will be cheaper/easier to rent a car. But, you will want to park it once you get to your hotel and take Metro.

Yes, take an organized tour for the evening monuments tour. I have not taken a HOHO tour in DC--so, I can not comment on them.

PS--we stayed at a Holiday Inn on Capital Hill once. It was not bade. (a little pricey). But, it was 2 blocks from the Mall. Behind the Air and space Museum. Around D Street.

Not to put a damper on your plans...everything I read had me convinced you have a pretty good chance of making it....check out the thread started yesterday "Just Off Allure." Sorry--not sure how to add a link. The one positive is that self disembarkation might have gone better than regular (doesn't really seem certain when the delays started happening).

Not to put a damper on your plans...everything I read had me convinced you have a pretty good chance of making it....check out the thread started yesterday "Just Off Allure." Sorry--not sure how to add a link. The one positive is that self disembarkation might have gone better than regular (doesn't really seem certain when the delays started happening).

Is this the thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714818&highlight=just+off+allure

It does sound like there were self disembarkation people off early (before 7 per that thread) and things got tangled up later. I still think the OP will probably be fine if he is at the beginning of the self disembarkation line, as he has committed to be. that thread is a reminder that should somebody in his party wants to put luggage out the night before, he should resist the idea. When delays happen, they seem to build.

Ricky's biggest problem may be that he is a young 20 something male traveling with 2 women who are a generation older coming the US for several weeks. Can you say pack mule?

I was the one who stuffed up the flight reservation, although I am the one booking EVERYTHING so if I make one mistake with a flight it's not the end of the world! I've still managed to book 5 rental cars, 8 flights and 20+ hotels without a problem haha.

It seems the person was delayed because they weren't due off to after 9am. I haven't seen one review where people doing self disembark, being first in line at 6:15am have had a problem!!

It seems the person was delayed because they weren't due off to after 9am. I haven't seen one review where people doing self disembark, being first in line at 6:15am have had a problem!!

Everything I've seen and read agrees with this observation.

Archived