Family Suite?

Jan_In_Maine

We just got back from Bermuda on the Dawn and had a wonderful time. We are now thinking about changing a cruise we have booked next year that we will be taking family members due to airfare etc.

There will be 5 of us --- looking for privacy for our "kids" DS&DDIL (both 29) and their 4 yr old DS) - thought the roominess (sp) of a suite might be nice, but would also like them to have their privacy. Know we could do connecting, etc. But love the idea of the extras with a suite.

What do you all think? Thanks, Jan

The two-bedroom suites on deck 11 are great in a situation like yours, a little tight, but a great suite to share - good privacy. The second bedroom and bath are TINY, but you will also be sharing the living room, the bedroom is just a place to sleep. The master bedroom and bath are fantastic. Your DS and DDIL can share the small second bedroom, which has about a full sized bed, slightly larger I think. Your grandson can sleep in the living room on the convertible sofa - you could put him to sleep in the second bedroom and then just switch him out when the parents go to bed if you wish to use the living room later at night.

Robin

I would highly recommend the 2 bedroom owner's suite over the 2 bedroom suite on the Dawn. We were in the 2 bedroom suite last summer with 3 women, and that 2nd bedroom was tiny! It would be very difficult for 2 adults to sleep comfortably; I would call it a kid's bedroom.

We had the 2 bedroom owner's suite a couple of weeks ago with 4 adults and it was PERFECT - king bed in the master bedroom with its own bath, and had a door between the bedroom and the living room. The second bedroom had a full sofa bed that my friends (married couple) said was very comfortable. This room also has its own bath that closes off with a door at night. The living room also has a full sized sleep sofa that folds out that could easily sleep 2 as well. Very roomy and comfortable.

I would highly recommend the 2 bedroom owner's suite over the 2 bedroom suite on the Dawn. We were in the 2 bedroom suite last summer with 3 women, and that 2nd bedroom was tiny! It would be very difficult for 2 adults to sleep comfortably; I would call it a kid's bedroom.

We had the 2 bedroom owner's suite a couple of weeks ago with 4 adults and it was PERFECT - king bed in the master bedroom with its own bath, and had a door between the bedroom and the living room. The second bedroom had a full sofa bed that my friends (married couple) said was very comfortable. This room also has its own bath that closes off with a door at night. The living room also has a full sized sleep sofa that folds out that could easily sleep 2 as well. Very roomy and comfortable.

Are you recommending the Deluxe Owner's Suites (2 bedroom/2bathroom) on Deck 12 on the Dawn? Just checking as your description sounds like them versus the Owner's suites on Deck 9 and 10 Forward. The DOS on deck 12 looked great when we toured one on the Dawn in August. We were in a Family Suite down the hall and were exploring options for a future cruise :D

I was in the Family Suite a couple of weeks ago on the Dawn. it was just my husband and I, so it was more than enough room. 5 would be tight. The bathroom has two sinks, a toilet, tub and shower...all in one room, so there is no privacy. The shower is glass, which while pretty but does not afford any privacy. There is also no separation for the toilet. There looks like there is plenty of closet space, however at least in our room, one whole wall of closets were too narrow to fit the hangers. It limited how much you could put in and still close the closet doors. The room is lovely and these are about the only negatives, but for a group of 5 they could be a big deal.

The family suites on the Dawn will give you no privacy for two couples and a child.

They are perfect for parents traveling with their children.

My husband and I had an SJ on the Dawn last year. There is no way we would have wanted to share the space with our adult daughter, her husband and a child! There would be NO privacy.

If you want to all be in the same cabin I recommend a 2 bedroom suite.

Are you recommending the Deluxe Owner's Suites (2 bedroom/2bathroom) on Deck 12 on the Dawn? Just checking as your description sounds like them versus the Owner's suites on Deck 9 and 10 Forward. The DOS on deck 12 looked great when we toured one on the Dawn in August. We were in a Family Suite down the hall and were exploring options for a future cruise :D

Yes; we were in suite 12500. It was terrific. It's a relatively new room; it was rolled out when the family suites were. It is a gorgeous room, and very comfortable for a family. We had 6 of us in there at times (my sons were in an inside cabin, but visited us a lot for our alcohol :) ) and the master bedroom is incredible.

I'd look at securing the 2 bedroom family suite AND the connecting balcony cabin next door (I think they might be mini-suites, I'm not sure.)

You and your husband in the master bedroom, your grandson in the 2nd bedroom, and your son and daughter-in-law in the connecting cabin next door. Your grandson will have his own little TV and will love the coziness of his own small bedroom.

It might end up costing a little bit more that way, but EVERYBODY has plenty of privacy. (your 29 year old son and DIL?...yeah, they need privacy. Probably more than you ;) )

I'd look at securing the 2 bedroom family suite AND the connecting balcony cabin next door (I think they might be mini-suites, I'm not sure.)

You and your husband in the master bedroom, your grandson in the 2nd bedroom, and your son and daughter-in-law in the connecting cabin next door. Your grandson will have his own little TV and will love the coziness of his own small bedroom.

It might end up costing a little bit more that way, but EVERYBODY has plenty of privacy. (your 29 year old son and DIL?...yeah, they need privacy. Probably more than you ;) )

The only problem with that is that the balcony room would not get the suite perks, which I think the OP is looking for.

The only problem with that is that the balcony room would not get the suite perks, which I think the OP is looking for.

I'm considering doing that on my next NCL cruise and I already asked my NCL rep about it. He told me that as long as we're booked together they have no problem with extending the suite perks to those in the balcony cabin next door. According to my rep, they do it all the time when people book a suite and put their kids in the interior cabin across the hall.

You might have to mention the arrangement to the butler when they board, but that's easily handled.

And honestly. Even if NCL didn't accomodate, it's quite easy to get around the limitations if you really wanted to. You know, like, order your full breakfast room service from the living area and when it arrives, walk the tray over to the balcony cabin. I know some people are extra needy, but they'll survive the ordeal, trust me. And they're not going to kick you out of Cagneys for your breakfast/lunch just because you want to eat with your kids.

I'm considering doing that on my next NCL cruise and I already asked my NCL rep about it. He told me that as long as we're booked together they have no problem with extending the suite perks to those in the balcony cabin next door. According to my rep, they do it all the time when people book a suite and put their kids in the interior cabin across the hall.

You might have to mention the arrangement to the butler when they board, but that's easily handled.

And honestly. Even if NCL didn't accomodate, it's quite easy to get around the limitations if you really wanted to. You know, like, order your full breakfast room service from the living area and when it arrives, walk the tray over to the balcony cabin. I know some people are extra needy, but they'll survive the ordeal, trust me. And they're not going to kick you out of Cagneys for your breakfast/lunch just because you want to eat with your kids.

I wouldn't take this to the bank. Read a lot of the posts here and you will see that this doesn't happen all the time. Cagneys may allow it once, but they aren't big enough to accommodate everyone who wants to bring their family and friends along for the perk every day. And who wants to order food and deliver it across the hall? Really?

I wouldn't take this to the bank. Read a lot of the posts here and you will see that this doesn't happen all the time. Cagneys may allow it once, but they aren't big enough to accommodate everyone who wants to bring their family and friends along for the perk every day. And who wants to order food and deliver it across the hall? Really?

I've read a lot of posts, and I know it's done. They do it all the time. My rep assured me I would not have any issues whatsoever.

Cagneys isn't that busy for breakfast/lunch. It was a barren wasteland when I was there for breakfast/lunch. And nobody said anything about bringing random friends. I said family. I think my rep said the criteria is parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren. Siblings was purposely excluded because that would open it up to rampant abuse.

I don't quite understand your last sentence. I just mentioned that as a way around it if NCL wasn't being cooperative. In my case, it would be my two teenage daughters staying in the connecting balcony cabin, and my teenage son staying in the 2nd bedroom. If my daughters had an issue getting room service, they could quite easily come through the already open connecting doorway, pick up the order, and walk it back through the already open connecting doorway. They are quite capable of doing that. They're not needy to the point where they'd require the butler to do it for them.

I imagine it would be a bit of a bother if you're 90 years old and/or in a wheelchair or something. But most passengers aren't that fussy or needy that walking a tray to the next room (or even across the hall) is beneath them. We're way beyond what the social norms were back on, say, the Titanic.

I've read a lot of posts, and I know it's done. They do it all the time. My rep assured me I would not have any issues whatsoever.

Cagneys isn't that busy for breakfast/lunch. It was a barren wasteland when I was there for breakfast/lunch. And nobody said anything about bringing random friends. I said family. I think my rep said the criteria is parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren. Siblings was purposely excluded because that would open it up to rampant abuse.

I don't quite understand your last sentence. I just mentioned that as a way around it if NCL wasn't being cooperative. In my case, it would be my two teenage daughters staying in the connecting balcony cabin, and my teenage son staying in the 2nd bedroom. If my daughters had an issue getting room service, they could quite easily come through the already open connecting doorway, pick up the order, and walk it back through the already open connecting doorway. They are quite capable of doing that. They're not needy to the point where they'd require the butler to do it for them.

I imagine it would be a bit of a bother if you're 90 years old and/or in a wheelchair or something. But most passengers aren't that fussy or needy that walking a tray to the next room (or even across the hall) is beneath them. We're way beyond what the social norms were back on, say, the Titanic.

And what I'm saying is that you are at the mercy of the powers that be on the ship, not what the NCL rep says. When we were on the Dawn two weeks ago Cagney's was packed every morning for breakfast, and it's not a huge space. Cagney's is a perk for suite passengers, not suite passengers and their families in other rooms. You may get away with it; you might not. Why pay more for two rooms and hope that you can get the bennies, when one room would be more than comfortable and you are guaranteed all the perks?

I wish NCL would clarify this once and for all. It is a issue that my family faces as we have four kids and like to cruise in suites. What is the point of having a suite that connects to another room if booking both means you lose your perks and can't dine with 2 of your kids. I understand if it is non- family members in the other room- friends who want to dine with friends in Cagney's should book and pay for a suite themselves. But when it is your minor kids, they should have a standard written fleet wide policy to make the whole thing a suite.

I wish NCL would clarify this once and for all. It is a issue that my family faces as we have four kids and like to cruise in suites. What is the point of having a suite that connects to another room if booking both means you lose your perks and can't dine with 2 of your kids. I understand if it is non- family members in the other room- friends who want to dine with friends in Cagney's should book and pay for a suite themselves. But when it is your minor kids, they should have a standard written fleet wide policy to make the whole thing a suite.

I understand completely what you are saying. I don't think they have an issue with minor children, but where do you draw the line? My two sons were in an inside cabin, our reservations were linked, but I never would have tried to get suite perks for them - they didn't pay for them. But, my kids are 30 and 29 so they were perfectly capable of having breakfast on their own while we were at Cagney's (not that they were ever up at breakfast time :) ). I might feel differently if they were young. Then again, I would have them in my suite with me if they were young! But I agree that maybe they need some kind of surcharge that you can pay for suite benefits? Something to think about. But, they would have to address some issues with the size of Cagney's and the number of butlers employed.

Archived