Formal night shoes

OC Mom

I have just purchased two floor length black formal gowns. One is fairly sleek with rhinstone spaghetti straps and rhinstones around the criss-cross neckline (Miss America look). The other has a full skirt with a fitted bottice and tiny spaghetti straps (princess-like, or so my MIL says). It has a white sash sort of thing just below the waist (hard to explain) that goes all the way to the bottom. The question is.......Can I wear a standard pair of black fabric heels with a slightly pointed toe (already own them) or do I need a strappy sandal? I'm trying to cut costs and also pack only one pair of shoes for both formals. The dresses are so long, it's actually hard to see much of the shoe anyways.

Hi:) your formals sound lovely. Have you tried your shoes on with both dresses?

Did you have a friend/sister/MIL give you another person's "eye" on how they look?

Are your shoes dressy pumps? The dresses sound very formal to me. (I love it:D )

Do you think they look good together? And do they feel good on your feet? IF yes, I would say you are fine with them.

I am sure some of the other gals will reply too.

Have a great cruise:)

Okay, I actually found a pic of the dress online. I guess I bought a Jessica McClintock knock-off. Mine has tiny black spaghetti straps and my skirt is a bit fuller. Can't find a pic of the other one yet.

35237F.JPG

Beautiful:) Hmmm..depending on how dressy your shoes are, a strappy sandel might look better.

Jane, Jane, where are you and what do you think:D ;)

My black heels are a very simple style (fabric, not leather). I like them because they're free (I already own them) and they're pretty comfortable. My dress also seems to be a little longer. I think the heels will work, but want to make sure they won't look too simple. I could also get those little fancy clips that you clip on the tops to dress them up. Hmmm..:rolleyes:

My black heels are a very simple style (fabric, not leather). I like them because they're free (I already own them) and they're pretty comfortable. My dress also seems to be a little longer. I think the heels will work, but want to make sure they won't look too simple. I could also get those little fancy clips that you clip on the tops to dress them up. Hmmm..:rolleyes:

Yes, the shoes you already own will be fine.

To me, the shoes don't sound formal enough. I'd get the strappy sandals or peau de soie shoes. If you get a classic pair, they won't go out of style, and you'll be able to wear them as long as you have the two dresses.

I don't think that you need the strappy sandals. You can go with a closed toe fabric shoe. Those are formal gowns, a lot like those worn to other special occasions and ladies go for strapy sandal or what you have already. The question is just the condition of the shoe you already have and how will it look once you put it with your wonderful new gowns.

Beautiful:) Hmmm..depending on how dressy your shoes are, a strappy sandel might look better.

Jane, Jane, where are you and what do you think:D ;)

Lois,

I didn't chime in because you gave her the right answer in the first place. She needs to have a friend's eye. It's really hard to say and has alot to do the the proportion and delicateness of the shoe. Some pumps are very delicate and some look more daytime. A d'Orsay cut is going to look the sexiest and dressiest. If there's "too much" shoe, or the toe and heel are not the right shape, it won't have the right look.

If she were buying a new pair of shoes, I'd say go with strappy sandals. But if OCMom wants to know if the pumps will work or not, she needs a critical eye to look at the whole picture.

Jane

IMO because your dress is strapless or nearly strapless the strappy sandals are definately the way to go. Otherwise you don't look balanced, too much fabric down below your waist and you did say that your dress was fuller than the one in the picture. TJ Maxx and Marshall's both have very afordable "evening" sandals. I just got a pair for $24.99.

Oh, how I envy you young gals who can wear strappy, sexy shoes! Pity us poor over 60 who would fall and break a hip if we tried to wear ANY heels!!! I did find a pair of fabric Easy Spirit "strappy" comfortable shoes, but not anything like I used to wear! I can well remember when fashionable shoes were more important than comfort--for a few hours. Not any longer! So, if you see me all dressed up, looking great (as far as I'm concerned), please, please don't focus on my poor feet! Even we old ladies like to be glamorous and elegantly dressed....even with some restricitions!

Esther

Oh, how I envy you young gals who can wear strappy, sexy shoes! Pity us poor over 60 who would fall and break a hip if we tried to wear ANY heels!!! I did find a pair of fabric Easy Spirit "strappy" comfortable shoes, but not anything like I used to wear! I can well remember when fashionable shoes were more important than comfort--for a few hours. Not any longer! So, if you see me all dressed up, looking great (as far as I'm concerned), please, please don't focus on my poor feet! Even we old ladies like to be glamorous and elegantly dressed....even with some restricitions!

Esther

Esther,

I'm sorry that you can't wear the shoes you'd really like to wear. But I don't think you should lump ALL 60+ ladies as having the same problems as you do.

My Mom waved good-bye to 60 quite a few years ago and still wears gorgeous high heels all the time. She has a very active social life and dresses for dinner out 3-4 nights a week, wearing a simple skirt or dressy pants with 3" heels. She doesn't have unlimited funds and manages to find shoes by Manolo Blahnik, YSL, Charles Jourdan and Anne Klein at off-price outlets like Sak's off Fifth and Last Call Neiman Marcus, at great prices.

Jane

OC Mom, I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and saw a lovely woman wearing a gorgeous red strapless dress, beautiful updo and stunning jewelry. Then, you got to her feet and she had on a pair of thick platform red satin chunky high heels and it just ruined the look. It was a shame she had everything just right until then, I could tell she probably wore those shoes because they were red and she already had them. The style was a few years old and looked dated. A pair of black, or even red, strappy high heeled sandals would have made her the most well dressed woman in the room.Try on your dresses and shoes in front of a trusted friend/sister/neighbor, whoever will be brutally honest with you and not worry about hurting your feelings. The shoes may be fine, or they may be all wrong.

OC Mom, I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and saw a lovely woman wearing a gorgeous red strapless dress, beautiful updo and stunning jewelry. Then, you got to her feet and she had on a pair of thick platform red satin chunky high heels and it just ruined the look. It was a shame she had everything just right until then, I could tell she probably wore those shoes because they were red and she already had them. The style was a few years old and looked dated. A pair of black, or even red, strappy high heeled sandals would have made her the most well dressed woman in the room.Try on your dresses and shoes in front of a trusted friend/sister/neighbor, whoever will be brutally honest with you and not worry about hurting your feelings. The shoes may be fine, or they may be all wrong.

Kathy,

You are SOOOO right!

And the expression "you can get away with it", usually means it doesn't look good! :)

Jane

esther e, I save my fashion police thoughts and comments for those I figure can or should not wear whatever it is I'm commenting on. I've seen many lovely senior women in stunning formal gowns with "less than fashionable shoes" and I have absolutely no negative thoughts about it. You really have to look at the whole picture, just as what a woman in her teens, 20s and 30s would not work for me in my 50s.

Esther,

I agree with Happy K's.

Don't feel pressured to wear what's not comfortable for you. There are pretty shoes in all heel heights that will look wonderful with formal outfits.

Jane

Jane and Happy K, thanks for the kind comments. Jane, I think your mother sounds marvelous and good for her! Lifestyle has a lot to do with it; I tend to wear Mesphistos thongs, Helen and Violetta are my favorites, on a daily basis. I have a pedicure every two weeks, so my toes are always nice. I might add I have a flat foot, also. So, I really am limited as to what I can wear. However, in my own defense, I do look nice when I get dressed up. I am very critical of myself in the mirror and know what works for me. However, I still dream of the long-ago days when I could wear those pretty, pretty shoes. If I tried to wear them now, I'm afraid I'd look like a little kid trying to wear Mommy's shoes.

Esther

Thanks for all of the helpful advice ladies. I need to put on the whole ensemble again and have my mom take a look. She has a really good eye. I already showed her, but she was so focused on how well the dress fit that I don't think she was paying a lot of attention to the footwear. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for any good bargains on strappy heels, just in case. ;)

Hi girls,

Just to put my two cents in, I have multiple foot problems that severly restrict the type of shoes I can wear and actually walk in. I think that may be one of the reasons I am especially drawn to long gowns. They can hide your footwear if necessary. I've been on a few cruises when I have been unable to wear shoes at all, just slippers. My full, floor length gown helped me feel glamorous and beautiful even though I was wearing slippers.

My advice is wear what you need to wear to feel good about yourself. And, you will never feel good about yourself if your feet hurt and you are unable to walk comfortably and feel balanced in your shoes. A huge part of looking wonderful is feeling wonderful. Your happiness and self esteem shine through from the core of your being.

Have a beautiful cruise, everyone!!

Linda :)

My formal night shoes are flat pink slubbed silk strap sandals (for one night) and gold flats for the other. I have mobility issues and fall easily. I use a forearm crutch or scooter on the ship. There is no way I am going to even try high heels.

I will wear the pink shoes with black long dress, pink lace poncho trimmed with sequins and pink saphire jewelry. The gold flats will go with the same dress, black chiffon beaded poncho and diamonds.

I also have strength problems and travel alone, so I have learned to pack lightly. A few bottoms with different tops -- Wear my athletic shoes with afo's on plane and to board -- (They're heavy!) -- Only take what is necessary. This is what works for me--and frankly, I don't really care if someone doesn't like my shoes. I know that I put thought into what I wear and that is what matters!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found shoes that are perfect for both black formal gowns (one pic above) and my black slacks that I'm going to wear on one or two casual nights! And...they were on clearance for $15! They are Mootsies Tootsies and are black (not the purple below) with two tiny bows on the bottom straps. The heel is also a very manageable height and width so I can actually walk in them.;) Kept my eyes peeled and it paid off.:D

resize?sq=160&uid=237213950&mid=30039

I think the shoes you found will look wonderful, OCMom! I'm with you on the comfort factor. I love when a shoe looks great but if it's not comfortable and I can't walk in it, I won't wear it. I have narrow feet so that usually means a strap of some sort. Plus, I'm clumsy and can trip barefoot :) So some of my shoes may not be the most fashionable, but I can walk in them without killing myself!

Archived