Am I the only one?

phoenix_dream

Am I the only one that misses the good old days when being on a cruise meant that no one could contact you except in an emergency, and you didn't need to keep on top of who was posting what on your Facebook page, or what specials your favorite store was running that week that they had to send you an email about? You didn't feel the obligation to check in regularly to try to oversee things from afar.

I understand sometimes there are work demands, or sick relatives at home or other similar circumstances. Not talking about those situations. And maybe it is just my generation (Baby Boomer) but I consider not being in touch one of the joys of cruising. I don't need to think about Aunt Jane's latest doctor's visit, or Cousin Joe's obnoxious political ad on Facebook, whether it is sunny or rainy back in Chicago, or who is ahead in the polls. And if my kids are old enough to leave home alone, or with relatives, it is a benefit to them to learn to live without me calling and checking in - it builds character. I am on vacation - I want to FORGET about those things for just one week (ok, I don't forget about my kids - adult or otherwise - I just don't think they need me monitoring their every move - if they do I am already doing something wrong unless they have special challenges:)). I leave an emergency number and then tune out for the duration. I am not judging those who feel or do otherwise, but just wondering......Am I the only one?:D:D:D

No, you are not the only one. Part of the joy of being on vacation for me is not being constantly "in contact". I will check my email every couple of days to be sure there is no real emergency with the family or work but I go on a cruise to relax, see new places and meet new people. The only time I look at Facebook when on vacation is to post a picture and say "wish you were here"!

Yes we loved those "good ole days" but still manage to maintain much of that atmosphere when we travel. Many folks are simply their own enemies. When we travel on a cruise or internationally we simply do not stay in touch accept by ocassionally checking our e-mails. And even with e-mails we normally ignore most and just do a quick scan for emergencies or "must do" issues. We carry a MOBAL cell phone which will work nearly anywhere in the world, but seldom to ever use that phone (have used less then 30 min in more then a year of trips) which we carry for real emergencies. Only a few key family members have that cell phone number.

When we travel with our daughter and her significant other we smile as they both carry around their two Blackberries (each)...one for work and the other for personal. Although some folks do have legitimate obligations that force them to keep in touch....most seem to have an inflated sense of self importance ("they cannot survive if I am out of touch").

Hank

We just got back from the repo/wine cruise on Millie. With all of the ports being in Canada and the US, I noticed many more people texting, talking on cell phones, and using various computer devices than I've ever seen on my previous cruises. Personally, we're in the "let's unplug" camp of cruisers. We only take our cell phones, and those are turned off. When we are in US ports, we'll check for messages, and usually make one or two phone calls -- to check on things at home. If we're flying home, we'll use our free Elite minutes in the computer lounge to confirm our flight and print out boarding passes -- but that's about all. :cool:

We do check email a few times on a cruise and might call home to make sure everyone is doing alright (maybe once). But that is it. It is our vacation and if someone really needs us they can contact us on the ship.

So far (fingers crossed) we have not been seated at dinner with people that spend the entire evening checking their phones and texting. I see that in restaurants all the time now and all I can think is how rude that person is being to everyone else at the table.

Hmmm! Have to agree 100%.

I only get on the computer to check the stock mkt, look at a little news (mainly sports), and book or confirm fights and other travel plans. I don't want to hear from home, job, etc. unless it is a dire emergency.

Don't want to post or look at CC either.:) I enjoy the contact others on the cruise. Personal contact, not internet, iphone, etc.

A vacation is to get away.

No you are not the only one. We love being out there and not having to deal with emails and phone calls, but we had a guy sitting in front of us in theater and texting with his Iphone. The phone was so bright and he would not stop doing it after the third email respond we told him it disturbs us and he shoud quit doing it, which he did and you could tell he was totally stunned we told him to. Sad story :confused:

What SHOULD be nice about the cruise experience is that you're welcome to do just that if you want to, however, for those who enjoy it, I don't see a problem with it either. I don't want to live on the computer, but I do like to keep up with things - even on a cruise.

Curious if others think it is primarily (not exclusively) a generational thing?

Younger cruisers cannot even remember a time in their adult life when there were not cell phones, and the internet was just an idle thought in Al Gore's mind:D. They cannot imagine not having voice mail, let alone answering machines. They cannot remember rotary dials, and one phone per household rather than per room/per person. Text was what was found in a book.

There are times when all this connectivity is great and very convenient. But if you can remember the things mentioned above, I suspect most of you can also then remember how much less stressful it was to not be connected 24/7 (the wording of which is in itself a concept of modern times). I sound like an old geezer here (which I am, so no disrespect meant!), but I don't think the younger generation realizes how much this always being on call mentality eats away at their stress levels in small but cumulative ways they don't even recognize. Oh well, let me go back to my rocking chair for my afternoon nap and mull this over some more.......:):)

What SHOULD be nice about the cruise experience is that you're welcome to do just that if you want to, however, for those who enjoy it, I don't see a problem with it either. I don't want to live on the computer, but I do like to keep up with things - even on a cruise.

As was said, not criticizing those who want to - just wondering who else misses the days when it was not an option

Curious if others think it is primarily (not exclusively) a generational thing?

Younger cruisers cannot even remember a time in their adult life when there were not cell phones, and the internet was just an idle thought in Al Gore's mind:D. They cannot imagine not having voice mail, let alone answering machines. They cannot remember rotary dials, and one phone per household rather than per room/per person. Text was what was found in a book.

There are times when all this connectivity is great and very convenient. But if you can remember the things mentioned above, I suspect most of you can also then remember how much less stressful it was to not be connected 24/7 (the wording of which is in itself a concept of modern times). I sound like an old geezer here (which I am, so no disrespect meant!), but I don't think the younger generation realizes how much this always being on call mentality eats away at their stress levels in small but cumulative ways they don't even recognize. Oh well, let me go back to my rocking chair for my afternoon nap and mull this over some more.......:):)

I don't think it is a generational thing because I am very south of the baby boomer generation and I agree 100%.

One of the things that attracted me to cruising was the fact that my office has virtually no chance of getting in touch with me while I'm away. I have turned a number of collegues on to cruising who also enjoy the added benefit of truly being able to isolate themselves.

I found cruising after my boss faxed something to a remote resort and I was chared some absurd rate for the fax..........I let him know I was not happy with the bill. Days later a Fed Ex truck pulled up (it was actually a Fed Ex Scooter if you would believe that) and I knew either I go to Antartica on vacation or I get myself onto a ship!!!!!!

Our cruise is pretty much the same year after year. Cell phones are turned off and put in the safe as soon as we pull out of port and don't get turned back on unless we are in Puerto Rico or St Thomas where we don't get charged for overseas roaming. And then it's just to call a couple family members to tell them hi and that we're roasting our butts off while they're freezing to death in IL/WI :D.

Then back in the safe they go for the duration. Only ever bought internet once and it was the last night as we had a few relatives with us. They felt better about checking in early and getting their boarding passes for their flights. Took a quick peek at email, not anything of importance that couldn't wait until the next day. That was it.

That's why I love cruising. I can have DH all to myself. No phone, no email, just good old-fashioned vacation the way vacation was meant to be.

No, you are not on your own Op.:)

When I am on a ship, with DH, on our holidays, getting away from it all is where we want to be.

Even on land I rarely use my mobile, and exited Facebook rapidly after about a month as it was stealing my life.

I think its really strange in this so called age of communication to see four young girls sitting eating their food in the restaurant all with their phones in one hand, forks in the other, and never saying a word to each other all though the meal .

My DH feels the same way - cruises are his way to get away from it all. I, on the other hand, love to stay in touch wherever I am so always have my phone and/or iPad with me, always buy wi-fi on the ship, etc. And I am one of the first in the generation of Baby Boomers.

I'm of the "old school". I loved our first 2 cruises because we could get away from DH's boss and not be bothered!

Fast forward 20+ years and now DH can't be without his email/phone if he's gone longer than a week - which will happen next summer. So I've compromised...I'll get hotels in Alaska for our land portion that have wi-fi access if he promises to lock the computer and phone in the safe when we board the ship. I'm hoping to just keep him busy enough that he won't even been tempted to check email or check-in with the office!:o:p

I don't know if I could get my husband to take a cruise if we were completely cut off from the outside world so I appreciate that there are cell phone towers onboard.

About 15 years ago, before we had cell phones, we had taken a trip to Colorado. After spending a day hiking and sightseeing, we returned to the hotel to receive a message that my mother-in-law had a heart attack about 10 hours earlier and my husband's teenage sisters were left to handle the situation. MIL was fine, but it was a very stressful situation while we returned home and made stops every couple hours to call and check on things.

Five years ago we took the Xpedition cruise and left our cell phones at home. While we were gone, a water line in our attic broke and flooded part of the house. Our house sitter was able to reach us via the ship phone, but we had to contact our insurance company and make arrangements to have the house dried out. That $2.50/minute they charge to use your cell phone onboard would have been a bargain compared to the $7.95/minute they charge for the ship phone!

While I hope I never have to be reached while on a cruise, it's nice to know that I can be reached on my cell phone in an emergency. I usually keep my phone in the cabin while I'm onboard, but I do leave the phone on so I can see if I missed any calls. I take it with me when I leave the ship.

I certainly understand both points of view, and didn't think it was a criticism to wonder if anyone missed the old days. It's a very nice thought, and I do appreciate the idea of being hard to get ahold of, but I was on a cruise during the Japan earthquake and felt very removed from the rest of the world.

I'm a 35 year old stay at home mom with two kids ( 11 and 7).

If I couldn't get an email from my kids and they couldn't get a hold of me, we wouldn't be travelling. I always see people who say they miss that time when they were totally able to be hidden and relax away from work, but for us.... being able to read the paper on line, check scores from our hockey team, and sit on Facebook every now and then is stuff we don't have time to do here at home.

Being able to connect is the ONLY reason we have managed to go away on cruises. I know I am "young" in the world of cruising but I will insist that knowing each afternoon I will get a note from my kids, and one before bed too is so much a part of our being able to "enjoy" having a vacation. Making sure they are happy and enjoying their vacation too is a perfect mix of rest and relaxation.

Just my two cents of course..

Safe Travels.

Chass

On our first cruise, the ship had an e-mail system that people could send a message, they would print it out and slip it under the door...those were the days. :D

On following cruises, we have never stepped foot in the computer centre...ever...no cell phones either...being out of contact is the best thing about vacations!

On our next vacation, we will be gone for 65 days...this time we plan to blog a little about our trip, and keep in touch (somewhat) with family/house sitter. I can tell you though...I don't check facebook now and diffently won't be then!

To each their own I guess...

I confess if I were gone 65 days I would definitely want to check in now and then as well - I was thinking more of shorter trips. I can also understand the points about crisis situations that have happened, and wanting to be reachable for them. Having a phone turned on and available for emergencies can certainly put one's mind at ease in that kind of situation. As to the rest, count me out. No offense to anyone who feels differently but when I get away, I wanna get away:)

I have a special email address that I only give out to family for use when we are on holiday. That means that it takes me a very short time to check, because there is no junk mail, forwarded jokes or any of the other things that annoy me. I wouldn't want to be completely out of touch, since we have very elderly parents to worry about, but this way those who are important can reach us. We usually cruise to distant destinations, so our cell phones stay in the safe.

Sheila

Archived