planning for July 2013 cruise activities

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

We (family of 4, kids 15 and 13) just booked a NB cruise with Royal Caribbean for July 2013, Vancouver to Seward. My family thinks I am crazy to start planning and researching so early. But I am a planner and the more I search the board and see everyone's cruise report, the more excited I want to start making all the plans!

I really would like to go on a whale-watching excursion at some point, hopefully at Icay Strait, but my daughter is prone to get seasick. I know for sure the 6-person small boat is not going to work. How about the bigger boat contracted by the cruise?

Since we haven't purchased our plane tickets yet, we have some flexibility post-cruise. We can stay another day or two after the cruise. I'd love to take the Kenai Fjord cruise, but have the same concern about sea sickness. Is the boat ride pretty rough? I don't want to spend a lot of money and make my child miserable for 6 hours. How early do we need to make the reservation?

If we decide to do the Kenai cruise, we will stay overnight at Seward since we also want to see the sled-dogs and Exit Galcier. Is it doable without a car? If we end up paying a lot for taxi, we might as well get a rental car for a day.

Another decision to make is whether to drive to Anchorage or to take the train. Believe me, I have read so many posts about this and still cannot make up my mind! I like the flexibility driving allows, but the train seems more relaxing, at least for hubby since he will be doing the driving. Because we have 4, cost is about the same for a one-way car rental and 4 regular train tickets.

Would you recommend staying two nights at Seward? Or one night at Seward and one at Anchorage? How early do I need to reserve the rental car or train tickets?

Sorry I am rambling. I really appreciate your help.

Have you discussed the seasickness tendency with your pediatrician? How are you planning to manage it on the cruise ship?

We went on a 6 person whale watching boat trip from ISP and had perfectly calm waters with no problems for one of our seasickness-prone family members.

However, your experience may be quite different both on the cruise ship and on the small boat excursions. I suggest you discuss with your pediatrician how to best manage this potential problem. If both of you feel that this problem is untenable, then just stay on land. Because of potential seasickness, another of our family members decided not to accompany us on the small boat, and he was able to see whales close up from the dock at ISP. Good luck.

i agree with epixx ;)

you are NOT crazy for starting your planning now , i have been researching & reserving for months now :)

some of the best deals (rental car / plane tix )are gone early , so be dilligent to find them.

we cant wait to go, but i'm glad there is alot of time for research , because there is a million things to choose from ,as you likely have noticed;)

happy planning

btw,if you can swing it ,try to do 4 or 5 days after the cruise ,so you can get to denali nat park

dave

Is Juneau also a possibility for whale watching or do you definitely want to go in Icy Straight Point? Our cruise didn't go there, so can't make any recs, but we had a similar debate over boat size in Juneau. I liked the idea of a smaller boat, but my friend has issues with getting seasick so didn't like the idea of the little 6 person boats. We went out with Adventures in Alaska (boat name is Scania). They were fantastic. The boat was a catamaran and a little over 30 feet so very stable and comfortable. They had an 8 person maximum, but on our trip there were only 6. We felt like we got the best of both worlds with the personal experience of a small group but the steadiness/comfort of a larger boat. The owner and guide were also both great, and we saw humbacks bubble feeding, sea lions, dall porpoises, and our favorite - a pod of about ten orcas of varying ages right next to the boat for over 30 minutes - truly a once in a lifetime experience. Overall a great tour that I would highly recommend!

Sorry whale watchers- but there is going to be LITTLE difference in the sea sickness potential with ANY of the boats. They all are on water, and the double decker "bigger ones" are going to have the same ability of rocking up and down and all around. It is naive to think the double decker, larger boat are going to offer you any guarantee of lessor sea sickness, it isn't. ONLY solution is prevention, consult your health care professional. I am just back from 11 trips on a similar double decker whale watch boat- guess what- 2 of the days, due to rough seas- boatloads of people "off loading" over the sides.

You KNOW there is an issue- single "reports" of how smooth it was- mean nothing, no one can predict the future or what anyone else is going to experience.

ABSOLUTELY- a Kenai Fjords boat tour, HAS to have precautions in place. I see sick passengers EVERY trip, and it's usually the ones on the dock who claim they never get sick. :) The operators, always "recommend" precautions. At least 25% of the boat was barfing, my trip in August, with most sick the entire trip- it was rough sailing.

Based on Budget Queen's suggestion, we booked Tecck Outfitters for both the whale watch and bear watch. OMAGOSH!!! We saw between 75-100 humpback whales.... it was the most amazing experience. Without a doubt, if you are in that port, you absolutely MUST contact them. The boat is lovely with lots of room and Keith was a dynamic personality who knows his Alaska!! DO NOT miss this one!

And Killian took us around the island and we saw a black bear feeding on salmon in a stream. VERY cool.

Thanks, Budget Queen!! We also thoroughly enjoyed Carlin Air in Ketchikan and Harv & Marv in Juneau. Well.... we loved every minute in Alaska!!

Dinah

Thank you all for the suggestions. I guess I'd better talk to our pediatrician before making any reservation.

Budget Queen: Regarding sea sickness, if it doesn't matter what kind of boat we are on, does it matter "where" we take the excursion? From your experience, which one has the calmer (relatively speaking) sea, Juneau or Icy Strait? Probably not Kenai?

ERTHDOG: I'd love to spend another week in Alaska! But unfortunately hubby can't take that much time off from work. 2-3 days is all we can do. Hopefully we get to see Denali in the future.

And back to my train or car question, since the cost is the same from Seward to Anchorage, which one would you recommend?

Thanks so much for your help!

Based on Budget Queen's suggestion, we booked Tecck Outfitters for both the whale watch and bear watch. OMAGOSH!!! We saw between 75-100 humpback whales.... it was the most amazing experience. Without a doubt, if you are in that port, you absolutely MUST contact them. The boat is lovely with lots of room and Keith was a dynamic personality who knows his Alaska!! DO NOT miss this one!

And Killian took us around the island and we saw a black bear feeding on salmon in a stream. VERY cool.

Thanks, Budget Queen!! We also thoroughly enjoyed Carlin Air in Ketchikan and Harv & Marv in Juneau. Well.... we loved every minute in Alaska!!

Dinah

75-100 humpback whales???????????????? How long were you on the water???? I have been on quite a few whale watching tours and have never seen that many --- you are one lucky person. :)

Archived