Bringing Food on a Ship

ckfred

What is RC's policy for bringing food on a ship? We're taking the Jewel out of Boston on October 7th and call at Halifax and St. John. Having been to Canada a number of times, my wife likes to buy candy bars that she initially tried in England, but can never find in the U.S, including Flakes, Coffee Crips, and Aero bars.

I know that Customs is more concerned with meats of any kind and fresh produce. We haven't had problems bringing packaged chocolate bars from Canada to the U.S., but that's been either via air or car.

We have bought food at ports and brought it on the ship with absolutely no problems.

There is more of an issue with taking food off the ship. Candy in a wrapper shouldn't be an problem at all. Mostly they don't allow anything grown, fruit, nuts, etc. I even had one of those hats woven from green palm fronds in the Caribbean taken away from me by a customs agent....I had it on my head when I got off the ship and I didn't make it out the door of the terminal. It was a great hat, too!

What is RC's policy for bringing food on a ship? We're taking the Jewel out of Boston on October 7th and call at Halifax and St. John. Having been to Canada a number of times, my wife likes to buy candy bars that she initially tried in England, but can never find in the U.S, including Flakes, Coffee Crips, and Aero bars.

I know that Customs is more concerned with meats of any kind and fresh produce. We haven't had problems bringing packaged chocolate bars from Canada to the U.S., but that's been either via air or car.

We have the same issue, I love Hershey symphony bars but you cannot get them over here (UK) unless you want to pay a fortune for them so I usually try and stock up on them, sailing into Houston in november and really hoping I can get them on the way to the airport -or at the airport. I've got all the flakes and aeros here, maybe we should do swapsies.

I emailed RCCL about my food allergy, and part of the response I received was this:

Guests are allowed to bring on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food

items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also

bring on their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not

bring on board any potentially hazardous food items (Items that require

refrigeration, freezing, reheating, or storage by the galley).

So, looks like you're good to go! Enjoy your foreign chocolate bars... as for finding some of the English candies, I have been able to occasionally find English candy in some stateside stores (either on their international import aisle) or in specialty food stores. Definitely take advantage of the cruise port stops to get these items much cheaper!

We had a large roll call group a couple years ago on The Voyager. One of the ladies brought a "boxed" Mardi Gras cake of one of our meets and she had to leave it a the pier. Customs would not let her bring it on so she said she literally destroyed it with her hands :p before throwing it in the trash bin. She said that if we couldn't have it the guys at the terminal wouldn't either.

We have the same issue, I love Hershey symphony bars but you cannot get them over here (UK) unless you want to pay a fortune for them so I usually try and stock up on them, sailing into Houston in november and really hoping I can get them on the way to the airport -or at the airport. I've got all the flakes and aeros here, maybe we should do swapsies.

I would gladly swap Symphony bars for Flake any day!!! I used to be able to get my Flake fix at our World Market but last summer there was a sign that for some reason (I don't remember now) they were not importing them anymore :( Even had a friend go to Ireland this summer and got some for me but she hid them so her boys wouldn't eat them and has yet to find them :(

You don't have Aero bars in the USA? I live on the Canada/US border, and I never new that. I even grocery shop in the USA about 1-2 times per month.

If you want an awesome UK chocolate bar - try a Curly Wurly.

To the OP: For cruises, I have surprised my family with bringing a small tupperwear container with their favourite candies/treats from home. I put it on their beds on day one, and they snack from it all week. Sour keys, smarties (the chocolate ones from Canada/UK), Jelly Belly jelly beans (expensive on board!), etc. So, you will have no problem.

try a CRISPY CRUNCH bar.

You will be fine, neither Royal nor US Customs cares about prepackaged candy bars. Load up and enjoy.

In general this is correct, but there are some exceptions. Kinder Eggs, for example, are absolutely prohibited in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

True, they are not a 'candy bar' but they are prepackaged chocolate.

When I read the title of this thread, I couldn't help but think that taking food on a cruise would be like carrying coals to Newcastle. But now I understand. Although there is LOTS of food on a cruise, there really aren't any of the usual snacks, is there?

Violet Crumbles.. she should try those.. mmmmmm yummy.

you can find Aero and Flake at World Foods Market. sometimes Sur la Table has them too.

When I read the title of this thread, I couldn't help but think that taking food on a cruise would be like carrying coals to Newcastle. But now I understand. Although there is LOTS of food on a cruise, there really aren't any of the usual snacks, is there?

There are snacks you can purchase on board. Things like chips, candy bars, etc. But, the selection is very limited, and very expensive. If you have the desire for a late snack that is not satisfied by one of those AWESOME cookies(or whatever else you can get for free), then bringing snacks is not a bad idea.

You don't have Aero bars in the USA? I live on the Canada/US border, and I never new that. I even grocery shop in the USA about 1-2 times per month.

If you want an awesome UK chocolate bar - try a Curly Wurly.

LOVE Curly Wurlys!! (And Double Deckers). For the uninitiated -- and I am dating myself here a bit -- Curly Wurlys are similar to our old Marathon Bars.

For the northeasteners among us, Wegmans sells Aeros and Lion Bars and a few others... Also, more close to home, there's actually a Hallmark store on the second floor in NYC's Port Authority that sells a really decent selection of British candy bars at the same price as domestic ones.

Sorry what's a Coffee Crisp? I live in the UK and I've never heard of it. Do you mean a Toffee Crisp instead? They're gorgeous.

Coffee crisps are very similar to Toffee crisps, they used to sell them in the UK but no longer.

Each time we visit the US I take a supply of Cadburys chocolate for my son and his family - far superior to the Cadburys available in the US.

There is one grocery store chain in my area that does carry Aeros from England (not from Canada). Considering that Nestle makes Aeros and has a large operation in the U.S., I've never understood why they don't make Aeros here in the U.S.

Archived