Puerto vallarta has improvement plans...

WINEMANVISALIA

The idea is to boost Vallarta to the top destinations worldwide and these projects will be a step in that direction, though it's doubtful FONATUR Director Adalberto Fügemann y López's predictions of PV in the Top 5 Worldwide is a bit over the top, just consider destinations like Paris, Rome, London, New York, Bangkok, Hong Kong and even Mexico's own Cancún and it's hard to imagine our beautiful Vallarta could overtake them. It's nice to dream though :-)

The total investment will be around 39 million dollars in five different branches within the local tourism, these include sport and leisure, recreational and public spaces, markets, museums and art, and a retirement residential development.

The list includes:

1. Metropolitan Sports, Recreation and Culture Complex (METRO COM), to be located in the Hotel Zone, close to Sheraton Buganvilias. A large sports, leisure and culture complex. About half of the budget will go to this part, including a new stadium, an aquarium, a park and a beach club plus a pedestrian bridge for easy access, will include a Federal sea-land zone and a sculpture park.
  2. Lázaro Cárdenas Sculpture Park and Amphitheater, some 3 million dollars will be used to recover the current park in Vallarta's Romantic Zone and offer more cultural activities in the area. Anyone that's seen the poor dried up park can see it needs urgent help.
  3. Sea Mall, around 2 million will go to creating a new fish & shellfish market at Hidalgo Park, it will include restaurants offering the same products.
  4. Cuale River Island Natural & Archaeological Museum. A bit over a million will go to the development of an outdoor museum and improving the park vegetation.
  5. Retirement Residential District, will include buildings, a new hospital, a spa and park areas.

Hope it works. If the media would stop with all the Mexico is dangerous stuff, that would help too.

Most of the highway improvements that were put in to beautify Cabo for the G20 summit were unfortunately washed away in the August floods.:(

Thanks for your post. I already love PV and this makes it even more appealing. One of my friend's and I have been doing alot of talking about retiring outside of Southern California in a foreign country. We are just starting to look at different places. We've talked a little bit about PV. We will definitely add this to our folder of information.:)

I can only hope it will be done, but....knowing how other plans are postponed, or not realised and the fact there it seems there isnot enough money to fill the potholes in the streets after the rainy season....

The old pier in Old town was torn down about 3 years ago and the new one is still not finished. (it was supposed to be ready a few months later.)

The old stadium in the hotelzone is used daily by hundreds of locals and is free, hopefuly that still will be after all those expensive plans.

I can only hope it will be done, but....knowing how other plans are postponed, or not realised and the fact there it seems there isnot enough money to fill the potholes in the streets after the rainy season....

The old pier in Old town was torn down about 3 years ago and the new one is still not finished. (it was supposed to be ready a few months later.)

The old stadium in the hotelzone is used daily by hundreds of locals and is free, hopefuly that still will be after all those expensive plans.

Speaking of potholes, Cabo flooded again yesterday. This is the third time since August.:eek: Haven't been keeping up with PV, but one tropical storm after the other has really turned things beautiful, but made life difficult.

What was amazing was how they got a brand new convention center and highways built in 9 months for the G20. Proves things can get done if need be.

"If the media would stop with all the Mexico is dangerous stuff, that would help too."

Mexico is under siege by a criminal element, and abetted by a corrupt political, judicial and police system. The "media" is trying to report facts however a lot of crime in Mexico is under-reported out of fear of reprisal and is rarely solved. It is unfortunate that such a beautiful country and culture is held hostage but that is a fact; the media has nothing to do with it.

"If the media would stop with all the Mexico is dangerous stuff, that would help too."

Mexico is under siege by a criminal element, and abetted by a corrupt political, judicial and police system. The "media" is trying to report facts however a lot of crime in Mexico is under-reported out of fear of reprisal and is rarely solved. It is unfortunate that such a beautiful country and culture is held hostage but that is a fact; the media has nothing to do with it.

The media has a LOT to do with it !!! They could destroy tourism in the USA if they concentrated their reporting as intensely as they do Mexico !!!

The media has a LOT to do with it !!! They could destroy tourism in the USA if they concentrated their reporting as intensely as they do Mexico !!!

Based on your previous posts, I believe that you know nothing about the true crime levels in Mexico or the human rights violations committed by the police and military!!!

I have eight employees that have family in Mexico and are afraid to go home to see them.

The areas are throughout the country with most being in the west-central regions.

From what I’m being told, the crime rate is actually being under-reported by the media.

The citizens of Mexico are not allowed to own guns to protect themselves. My employees state that if they were able to own guns the crime rate would drop dramatically in short order.

Mexican citizens are being coerced out of their homes and vehicles by the bad guys and they have no recourse from the police. They are helpless.

We’ve been on fourteen (14) visits to Mexico, both Pacific, Atlantic and Central, and I’m always looking over my shoulder these days.

Based on your previous posts, I believe that you know nothing about the true crime levels in Mexico or the human rights violations committed by the police and military!!!

It is quite interesting that you THINK you know so much about me. Your assumptions are incorrect !!! Possibly as wrong as your assumptions about much of Mexico as compared to the USA.

I doubt if the Mexican government has been proven to be selling assault rifles to the drug dealers.

I have eight employees that have family in Mexico and are afraid to go home to see them.

The areas are throughout the country with most being in the west-central regions.

From what I’m being told, the crime rate is actually being under-reported by the media.

The citizens of Mexico are not allowed to own guns to protect themselves. My employees state that if they were able to own guns the crime rate would drop dramatically in short order.

Mexican citizens are being coerced out of their homes and vehicles by the bad guys and they have no recourse from the police. They are helpless.

We’ve been on fourteen (14) visits to Mexico, both Pacific, Atlantic and Central, and I’m always looking over my shoulder these days.

If they want guns, they may need to contact Eric Holder and his boys.

I have many American and Canadian friends living on the west coast of Mexico in Puerto Vallarta (mainly) but Cabo and other areas......their belief is that the American (and to a lesser extent) Canadian media tend to over dramatize Mexican crime on the west coast.....media like to lump it into one pot.

I would rather listern to them then you :rolleyes::eek:

Looking forward to our next trip down to PV this fall :D

LOL Your post has me ROFL

Ummm yea. don't vist Canada then.....we are not allowed to own guns like Americans do (thank goodness). The rest of your post??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A post like yours is exactly what I would expect from our friends north of the border where reality, awareness and competency sometimes gets a little....fuzzy. Keep working on it, it may improve! LOL :D

Too bad this informative thread turned into the Mexico is evil debate.:rolleyes:

Heading to Cabo for a month on Monday and I will not be looking over my shoulder.

We're with ya on this one. Headed for Vallarta for November on the 2nd.

Back to the OP . . . We have experienced these grand plans for Vallarta quite a few times over the last 10+ years and very few of the announced projects actually get off the ground.

There was supposed to be a pedestrian bridge from the port to the Wal-Mart/SAMS side of te highway years ago but it has never surfaced. The Los Muertos Pier project will be in its third year as of this month. They claim it will be completed by the end of this year. We'll see!?!

Cafe Roma, Casa Isabel & Cheeky/Sea Monkey ... here we come!!!

We're with ya on this one. Headed for Vallarta for November on the 2nd.

Back to the OP . . . We have experienced these grand plans for Vallarta quite a few times over the last 10+ years and very few of the announced projects actually get off the ground.

There was supposed to be a pedestrian bridge from the port to the Wal-Mart/SAMS side of te highway years ago but it has never surfaced. The Los Muertos Pier project will be in its third year as of this month. They claim it will be completed by the end of this year. We'll see!?!

Cafe Roma, Casa Isabel & Cheeky/Sea Monkey ... here we come!!!

Say "HI" to Troy and the crew for us !!!!

I have many American and Canadian friends living on the west coast of Mexico in Puerto Vallarta (mainly) but Cabo and other areas......their belief is that the American (and to a lesser extent) Canadian media tend to over dramatize Mexican crime on the west coast.....media like to lump it into one pot.

Listen to whomever you want, it is immaterial to me; but I am entitled to my opinion. However, people should be careful about making absurd blanket statements about how safe Mexico is, especially when compared to the US. I have been travelling there, and to other parts of Latin America for over 30 years. And as I have said several times, everyone should make informed decisions when planning a visit anywhere. Somehow, this is offensive to a small group on this site and about this topic.

But I would challenge anyone to ask an average Mexican citizen if they trust the police and would feel comfortable reporting a crime. Therein lies an enormous difference between crime in the US and Mexico. Sad, but very true.

Listen to whomever you want, it is immaterial to me; but I am entitled to my opinion. However, people should be careful about making absurd blanket statements about how safe Mexico is, especially when compared to the US. I have been travelling there, and to other parts of Latin America for over 30 years. And as I have said several times, everyone should make informed decisions when planning a visit anywhere. Somehow, this is offensive to a small group on this site and about this topic.

But I would challenge anyone to ask an average Mexican citizen if they trust the police and would feel comfortable reporting a crime. Therein lies an enormous difference between crime in the US and Mexico. Sad, but very true.

Since this board is concerning cruise ports and the safety of cruise passengers, how many incidents can you cite that involve cruise passengers being killed or injured while visiting the ports?

You cannot say it happens and the information is not reported by the media, because the US media would jump on that news like a pack of wild dogs.

Somehow, this is offensive to a small group on this site and about this topic.

I think I resemble that remark!:rolleyes:

Hey Swedish Weave, I've asked that same question before and never gotten an answer. And you and I know why, because the answer is that it has not happened.

I've asked that same question before and never gotten an answer. And you and I know why, because the answer is that it has not happened

If you took the time to actually read my comments, I never claimed any passenger was the victim of a crime. But I am responding to conditions and the general level of crime in Mexico, and in specific cities such as Mazatlan and Acapulco, along with the opinion stated my some of the "diehards" about how safe these places are and that the media is over-dramatizing the crime situation. You read into this something you want to defend and for what reason is a mystery to me. Believe what you want, that is your right. No one really cares.

Archived