New to cruising, but not to the sea

Jackytar

Hello, all. I'm a bit nervous, actually; my wife and I are planning for our first-ever cruise, tentatively next May as things are at the moment.

The nervous comes from the fact that I'm a sailor myself, with 20-mumble years in the RCN. It's taken me a while to come around, actually, and I'm still half-afraid I'm going to wake up at 0200 and be halfway through a set of rounds before I know where I'm at :D I honestly have no clue what I'm going to do with myself; the notion of being on a ship and not standing watches just confounds me.

So... my question is, are there other naval, merchant marine or retired seagoing types who are facing the prospect of going to sea as a passenger for the first time in their lives?

Hello, all. I'm a bit nervous, actually; my wife and I are planning for our first-ever cruise, tentatively next May as things are at the moment.

The nervous comes from the fact that I'm a sailor myself, with 20-mumble years in the RCN. It's taken me a while to come around, actually, and I'm still half-afraid I'm going to wake up at 0200 and be halfway through a set of rounds before I know where I'm at :D I honestly have no clue what I'm going to do with myself; the notion of being on a ship and not standing watches just confounds me.

So... my question is, are there other naval, merchant marine or retired seagoing types who are facing the prospect of going to sea as a passenger for the first time in their lives?

Don’t worry, still active duty RNLN here, there is nothing more relaxing than being at sea, not having to worry about your next watch duty.

Having a window and or a balcony is a luxury that I have yet to encounter in my professional sailings.;)

Served on three ships in the US Navy and had no trouble going to sea as a passenger for the first time. In fact, it was like being a Chief all over again except 1) I didn't have to wear a uniform, 2) I could have a cold beer any time I wanted one, 3) I didn't have to bark orders at anyone to get something done:D.

I had my own issues having stood bridges watches for a couple of years, but DW finally got me on a cruise, and I am now a committed cruiser.

Trust me, you won't have any problems adjusting to a cruise ship -- none at all. First of all, there will be a distinct lack of navy gray (or was the RCN slightly greenish?), beds will be comfortable, you will be waited on, there are elevators (in my case we only had those for aircraft), and there will be no bo'sun's whistle or ship's bells anytime! No brass for you to polish, no decks to clean, etc., etc., etc. No need to give the ship a clean sweep fore and aft!

Seriously, on port days, you will go into port and be off the ship. In the evenings you will eat in dining rooms that will in no way be reminiscent of your navy days, and your cabin will be much nicer than anything you ever saw in the RCN including the captain's cabin. There shouldn't be any confusion, and you will have a great time. You should be totally converted to a civilian cruiser by about the time your left foot hits the deck on the ship for the first time! Enjoy!

Don’t worry, still active duty RNLN here, there is nothing more relaxing than being at sea, not having to worry about your next watch duty.

Having a window and or a balcony is a luxury that I have yet to encounter in my professional sailings.

Likewise - the fantail aft of the flight deck does NOT count! :D

I had my own issues having stood bridges watches for a couple of years, but DW finally got me on a cruise, and I am now a committed cruiser.

Trust me, you won't have any problems adjusting to a cruise ship -- none at all. First of all, there will be a distinct lack of navy gray (or was the RCN slightly greenish?), beds will be comfortable, you will be waited on, there are elevators (in my case we only had those for aircraft), and there will be no bo'sun's whistle or ship's bells anytime! No brass for you to polish, no decks to clean, etc., etc., etc. No need to give the ship a clean sweep fore and aft!

I plan to enjoy it; I guess what has me jittery is that it will be "at sea" but utterly unlike my working life at sea. I confess the prospect of rolling out of my rack when I feel like it instead of when some silly bugger pushes the general alarm will make it worthwhile right there :) BTW, we are still a slightly barfulous green on the hull and uppers, but belowdecks we're about the same haze-grey and white as pretty much everyone else :D

I work on a cruise ship (of sorts) and I feel completely at ease on one while on holiday. If you do not have a balcony or oceanview cabin you might actually not even see the sea

Oh, that's not happening... I plan to have at least an ocean view cabin. Gotta keep my salty crust up :)

Served on three ships in the US Navy and had no trouble going to sea as a passenger for the first time. In fact, it was like being a Chief all over again except 1) I didn't have to wear a uniform, 2) I could have a cold beer any time I wanted one, 3) I didn't have to bark orders at anyone to get something done.

Heh - I can go for that, no trouble at all! Still, it'll feel odd not to close up in the goat locker and spend the forenoon watch swapping lies :D

23 years in the US Navy here and my wife was wanting to do a cruise for a long time. I finally gave and did a cruise last year and before we got done I was already ready to book another. I have sevaral old shipmates that did the same thing. I had an aft balcony and there is nothing that compares to standing the fantail watch with a bucket of beer and a club sndwich from room service. :D

No Masterchief screaming at me because one of my guys screwed something up.

No relief showing up 30 minutes late.

No airplanes landing on my roof all night.

No haze gray paint on everything.

And I can have alcohol.

LIFE IS GOOD

23 years in the US Navy here and my wife was wanting to do a cruise for a long time. I finally gave and did a cruise last year and before we got done I was already ready to book another. I have sevaral old shipmates that did the same thing. I had an aft balcony and there is nothing that compares to standing the fantail watch with a bucket of beer and a club sndwich from room service. :D

No Masterchief screaming at me because one of my guys screwed something up.

No relief showing up 30 minutes late.

No haze gray paint on everything.

And I can have alcohol.

LIFE IS GOOD

I was on the Ike 82-83.

My stateroom was 1-1/2 decks below the port (forward) catapult. Speaking of noises I don't miss when I am sleeping!

And for Jackytar:

No General Alarm, no drills of any kind (except the muster drill), no sound of chipping hammers all day every day, no smell of paint, no linoleum decks, your own head in your own cabin, and best of all, your spouse can be with you!

My stateroom was 1-1/2 decks below the port (forward) catapult. Speaking of noises I don't miss when I am sleeping!

And for Jackytar:

No General Alarm, no drills of any kind (except the muster drill), no sound of chipping hammers all day every day, no smell of paint, no linoleum decks, your own head in your own cabin, and best of all, your spouse can be with you!

It wouldn't be life at sea without some kind of drill :) I could go on making a list of things there won't be... no-one dragging me out of my rack because #3 DG's gone for a burton again, no sea trainers, no XO on the broadcast - hey, no broadcast at all! - no four pips, no specials for fuelling, no Friday rounds, no FOD walkdowns... heck, I'm starting to wonder why I waited this long :D

I don't have any experience, but I wanted to say I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time as a passenger!

I'm sure I will, and thank you :)

And for Jackytar:

On my last Med cruise my berthing was on the 03 directly below the 3 wire. Recoveries sucked.

No man overboard false alarms at 1 AM, No smell of jet fual on everything and a queen size bed instead of a coffin locker.

After serving many tours as Marine Corps "cargo" on Navy ships, I am anxiously awaiting my first time at sea with a real "rack" to hop into, no screeching whistles at ungodly hours and the ability to walk around the ship at will and without tripping or conking my head on everything in sight. A couple more days and I'll get to experience "real" cruising!

Archived