Cruising traditions?

Jackytar

I'm curious - for the long-established cruisers here, do cruise lines lay on anything special for such occasions as crossing the equator or the international date line? I ask because for naval personnel those are momentous occasions indeed, usually full of fun and (carefully managed) mayhem, but I have no idea if there's anything like laid on for passengers on a cruise ship?

The first time we crossed the equator was back in the 90's.

The ceremony even allowed for passengers to come down to the aft pool -- which was a total mess by the time the ceremony was over -- and kiss a dead fish. I was able to get a picture of DH doing that. And it was not a fake fish.

As of last year, they were still doing that. :D

The first time we crossed the equator was back in the 90's.

The ceremony even allowed for passengers to come down to the aft pool -- which was a total mess by the time the ceremony was over -- and kiss a dead fish. I was able to get a picture of DH doing that. And it was not a fake fish.

That was it? Just a fish? Hmmm... the first time I do a cruise that crosses the equator, I'm going to have to give them some extra ideas. Maraschino cherries injected with tabasco sauce, for starters... :D

full of fun and (carefully managed) mayhem,

Yer kidding, right?! :eek: :D :p If only I could find the CD that has all of DH and DS's Crossing the Line pictures...Poseidon was quite..inventive.... the Shellback Certificate was rather..vague....

(DH has also Done the Ditch)

of course my Uncle and Grandfather's are much more..interesting, having been pre PC/Hazing is Bad days.

On Celebrity Infinity there was a celebration for our crossing in March 2009. Similar activities as has already been mentioned, with certain crew members and passenger volunteers being subjected to "disciplinary" action which included copious amounts of food items being dumped onto their heads, followed by a dunking in the pool. Every passenger also received a certificate with our name on it honoring the crossing.

Crossing%20equator%202009.JPG

Crossing%20equator%20a%202009.JPG

Equator%20Certificate%20001.jpg

Archived