AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

Sorry, but this thread is now very long. What about "suits"? Where is there mention that Azamara is changing its dress code?

Nearly everyone else posting on this thread has greater knowledge about Azamara in particular and the cruise industry in general than I do--probably far greater knowledge. For example, I have no idea as to the percentage of Azamara bookings that come from people who have previously cruised with Azamara or from people who typically cruise more than once each year.

But Azamara answers to its parent company and its shareholders, and my guess is that the parent company wants Azamara, a truly boutique cruise line, to substantially increase its profit margins. The alcohol and special evening excursion policies are not driving the prices. Azamara has decided that it can, and perhaps must, charge more for its cruises. To better market its cruises under the new pricing structure (or to make the higher fares more palatable), Azamara is now including alcohol and offering the special night excursion.

Like the car industry, the cruise industry offers many choices and is competitive. The marketplace will decide whether Azamara's new pricing structure and other changes will be successful. If Azamara can fill its ships at higher fares, the company does not care whether those buying its cruises have cruised previously with Azamara. As someone said in a famous movie, it's not personal--it's strictly business.

Right now, the Azamara product is hot, so the company's mindset is probably "if not now, when," and the company is testing the market to see just how high it can go with its fare pricing. Over time, the market will tell us whether enough people still think that an Azamara cruise is good value.

"But Azamara answers to its parent company and its shareholders, and my guess is that the parent company wants Azamara, a truly boutique cruise line, to substantially increase its profit margins"

Every big business is beholden to its shareholders and frankly they will always come first regardless of any corporate speak to the contrary.

However, there is a huge difference between fair profit and blatant profiteering. If the senior board at azamara get this wrong, heads will roll, and i concur with greenegs post, and others, which question the strength of leadership and quality of decision making we've seen in the last week.

"But Azamara answers to its parent company and its shareholders, and my guess is that the parent company wants Azamara, a truly boutique cruise line, to substantially increase its profit margins"

Every big business is beholden to its shareholders and frankly they will always come first regardless of any corporate speak to the contrary.

However, there is a huge difference between fair profit and blatant profiteering. If the senior board at azamara get this wrong, heads will roll, and i concur with greenegs post, and others, which question the strength of leadership and quality of decision making we've seen in the last week.

I question the quality of Azamara leadership not just on this issue but on lots of decisions made over the last 12 months.

What about the fiasco of the ships refit timings, the cancelled cruises, then reinstated cruises, people being messed about several times in some cases.

150, thanks for responding. I agree with much of what you wrote, except the comment about fair profit and profiteering. Azamara is not a gas station doubling the price of gasoline as a hurricane approaches.

What I am reading is that at the higher prices the Azamara product will no longer represent good value and Azamara after damaging much goodwill will have problems selling cabins. I don't know.

I have never cruised on Azamara. I have cruised only once before, on Oceania last year on the Marina and am booked on an April 2013 cruise on Azamara. We booked the 2013 cruise because the itinerary was really unique and very attractive, because I have been reading so many good things about Azamara, and because the price seemed right. I do not know whether I would have booked this cruise had the price for this seven-night cruise had been a $1,000 or $1,500 higher. Certainly, with an itinerary offered by Oceania, I would have more strongly considered Oceania's cruises offerings before booking with Azamara.

I write the obvious: Supply and demand in the marketplace will reveal whether Azamara's pricing decisions are wise or foolish. Let's see in 18 months what the pricing is like and whether Azamara ships are sailing with empty staterooms.

PS I agree that company management blundered with the massive renovation issue. It overpromised, creating expectations that are not being met. It is strange that the company president himself would make promises that six months later the company announced would not be entirely kept. After Azamara's announcement a few weeks ago that the renovations would be scaled back, many of the company's most passionate customers defended the company by emphasizing the value of Azamara's service and the intangibles of an Azamara cruise. At the new price points, Azamara will need more than great service and intangibles, and the ships themselves are going to matter more.

Reggiefan, apologies if i didnt make myself clear.

Shareholders expect yield. If they dont get it, they question why.

What was, or what went wrong?

That is when board members get chopped. This is nothing to do with hurricanes and fuel prices. Its about milking something dry. All of this with a backdrop of a world economy at its lowest ebb in years, a highly combative cruise market and inumerate cheerleaders for the brand. I dont like this blend.

Again, for the record, azamara have mis-judged the sentiment, and will reap what they have sown.

Ps - unless they swallow this one and accept they have got it wrong.

Pps - also bill if youre still reading, the whole suit/sports jacket is also a NO from me.

Having been a past passenger of azamara and a victim of the Quest fire cruise, I am saddened by what seems to be a new direction for our favorite cruise line. All of the good will and great feeling for the Line after the way they handled and compensated us after the fire, seeems lost with the new prices and policies. As a non drinker, I could care less about free alcohol, and to pay 50% more for a night excursion and free drinks, does not equate to value for us. I certainly can understand a raise in prices from the last few years, but I think their jump on the particular cruise (Indonesia) from 2012 to2014, is just too much. I posted earlier that maybe Azamara was trying to make up for the FCC's that were issued for that cruise, but it seems quite ominous that the price for the same cruise would increase that much. As far as the discussion of suits or coats goes, we are out on that alone. We will use our FCC and pay the difference, but that will probably be it for us with this wonderful cruiseline, unless they get back to providing perceived value for the whole azamara experience that we all love. As for elimination of the discount shore excursions, I was able to arrange similar or more inclusive excursions that were price competitive with the 50% off price, so it is no loss for us. We will just continue to do our own thing. It is our fervent hope that the powers that be will listen to their loyal constituency and address and hopefully rethink these issues.

Sorry, but this thread is now very long. What about "suits"? Where is there mention that Azamara is changing its dress code?

Regarding the suits, go back to post #251.

The suit suggestion refers to the specialty restaurants - nothing more. And many people going to Aqualina and Prime C do dress up. Not required though.

The suit suggestion refers to the specialty restaurants - nothing more. And many people going to Aqualina and Prime C do dress up. Not required though.

Not quite an accurate reading. Azamara says:

"In Prime C, Aqualina and
Discoveries Restaurant
, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

Discoveries Restaurant = main dining room. Specialty restaurants are free on Oceania with the number of reservations determined by your room category. On Azamara, I don't think you would stand out if you didn't bring a suit because the specialty restaurants, at least on my AZ cruises, were typically empty because of the $25 per person charge.

150, thanks for your additional comments. I think we are on the same page except that you firmly believe the company's direction with pricing is bad and I admittedly do not know whether its direction is good or bad.

But I do not find the direction surprising. It seems that Pimentel's charge since the beginning has been to increase Azamara's profitability by raising fares.

I totally agree about any real dress code change damaging the brand's appeal, but I don't think the one website reference that men might wear a coat or a suit at night, given the context in which the statement appears, is a change in the dress code.

Maybe some good news I just hung up the phone with Erica at Azamara and we were going around and around and she explained to me that all the excrusions will be fully loaded for 2013 on October 15th and we can still book the 50% for any cruise in 2013 I did make her read what was written on their website but she told me that the last you can book the 50% is on March date for the Quest and for the May date for the Journey but after that no more.. Of course I am not sure how accurate that might be looking at how Azamara worded it. I asked her twice if she was sure and she said yes you can book the 50% off excrusions.So we will see if that is the real story or not come 10/15

Discoveries Restaurant
, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

Discoveries Restaurant = main dining room. Specialty restaurants are free on Oceania with the number of reservations determined by your room category. On Azamara, I don't think you would stand out if you didn't bring a suit because the specialty restaurants, at least on my AZ cruises, were typically empty because of the $25 per person charge.

Since we are being so precise, here is the full reading:

DINING: WHAT (AND WHAT NOT) TO WEAR

In all of our dining rooms, we encourage guests to follow a “resort casual” dress code, following good taste and common sense.

Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. (Khakis and other trousers are fine.)

When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire.

As to attendance, I guess that it depends on the cruise. Just got off of the Quest on Sept. 25 and ate in both Prime C and Aqualina. No problem getting reservations and attendance was respectable. Most tables filled in Prime C.

Discoveries Restaurant

On O the specialities are packed. Although you are "entitled" only to a certain number of pre booked reservations based on your cabin category, most people report the ability to get additional reservations once on board. I have known O cruisers to eat in a specialty restaurant 10 -12 times on a 2 week cruise. They might not always get their time of choice, but they do get to enjoy the restaurants more often. If you are in a PH or above, you can have course by course dining from the specialty restaurants (even a combo from different menus) served in your cabin by your butler every night if you wish.

If Azamara wanted to be AI (and "bespoke" LOL) they should have eliminated the fee for specialty restaurants. There is nothing "bespoke" or "luxury" about that.

I'm not sure what the answer is in relation to the specialty restaurant charge. We have never been put off by the price - it's just a different atmosphere and a different menu and we enjoy it. Usually we enjoy the experience more than twice during a cruise. However, this time there were some fabulous special buffets in Windows which we thoroughly enjoyed (including the white night party) and dinner in Discoveries was also wonderful on the nights that we ate there. Too many wonderful options (and too many calories consumed) and too few evenings!

In two cruises we only ate once in Prime C. While it was wonderful, we were very happy with the meals in the MDR and did not feel the need to book another Specialty Restaurant. I like the fact that we felt that we could get excellent food without having to do a SR although the small dining room ambiance and different menus are nice change.

The suit suggestion refers to the specialty restaurants - nothing more.

No, no, no. Here's the paragraph from the web site:

"In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

No, no, no. Here's the paragraph from the web site:

"In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

We dined in both and did not wear a jacket

So did we. That I know of, there's not a jacket "requirement". It says "recommended" - big difference. A nice shirt or polo shirt, and dress pants were fine.

We dined in both on our B2B every night as we were in a SUite and it was complementary. We NEVER wore a sport Coat and never felt under dressed or out of place. That is merely a suggestion, not in any way a requirement

Too funny, Jan. I responded with almost exactly the same words to this same post earlier in the thread.

I think FDR should be elated over this change in Azamara. O folks probably will not be interested anymore and plenty of loyal Azamara cruisers are looking at O.

Hi Laraine, I didnt see your post but we do think the same..I dont know if anyone remembers but I have a long memory..when Larry took over the helm of Azamara from Dan Hanrahan..Edie Bornstein svp was quoted (and I heard her on a webinar) that their target market is people who make $300,000 a year and more..so they have always wanted to be in the deluxe class..problem is they have the wrong ship.. Azamara had finally found a loyal following and slowly raising the prices over the years would have kept them but instead Larry is trying to make ACC into the Sea Dream which he started and the major problem is these ships ARE NOT LUXURY!!!

So good luck ACC. I am just glad I cruised the Journey and the Quest when I did ..

Jancruz1

So did we. That I know of, there's not a jacket "requirement". It says "recommended" - big difference. A nice shirt or polo shirt, and dress pants were fine.

Yes, it's a big difference that it's a recommendation and not a requirement. But until now there's NEVER been mention of suits or jackets, so this is a significant change...and in my opinion, an unfortunate one, as it may intimidate some, especially newbies, into wearing a suit or jacket.

Better to have left it as simply "resort casual."

following is my post #251 in its' entirety. I posted in response to the sentiment expressed by mare s. that Azamara seems to be interested in attracting a more upscale demographic . The information about suits being recommended was meant to illustrate this perception. I realize this is just a recommendation, and not a definite change in the dress policy, but it does seem indicative of the direction Azamara is pursuing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mare s. viewpost.gif

I. What bothers me a bit too is the stated desire for "up market" travelers and all the nonsense about "bespoke." What I love about Azamara is the very congenial atmosphere on board...the demographic seems to be savvy and appreciative cruisers. Azamara is not inexpensive right now (compared to the mainstream cruiselines) but I get the impression that corporate would like to change the demographic to a group for whom money is really no object. Remember, they talked about this a year ago when they added shorter cruises to attract "younger" exec types who could take only a week at a time. My concern is that with the changing demographic the atmosphere on board will change too and become more, shall we say, rareified. I'm not going to say "never again" for Azamara, but I'm not sure an Azamara cruise in the future will be the best and most enjoyable use of our travel dollars.

I agree with Mare S. about concerns about changing the onboard atmosphere. I have pasted my post from another discussion thread because I think it speaks to the concern about Azamara wanting to attract a different demographic,

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinaro44 viewpost.gif

Scroll all the way to the bottom. Another appeal to so-called "up-market travelers?"

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/li...ning-and-wines

Very interesting that they now state " We recommend that men bring a sport coat or SUIT". I checked my 2012 Destination guide for shipboard attire and it says "...and a sport coat if desired (not required)." no mention of bringing a suit.

This does seem like an appeal to "up-market" the passengers. And is contrary to the opinions expressed on the thread about Azamara enhancement, where many have stated that they are comfortable with, and prefer, the existing atmosphere on board. I think the current resort /casual dress code is one reason some passengers choose Azamara

Very interesting that they now state " We recommend that men bring a sport coat or SUIT". I checked my 2012 Destination guide for shipboard attire and it says "...and a sport coat if desired (not required)." no mention of bringing a suit.

And there's a significant difference in emphasis between saying "we recommend" and "if desired." One is an attempt to influence you, the other leaves it completely up to you, with not a hint of influencing. I'm with cruzluze in how I interpret this. It's a real step in the wrong direction, and I will not be influenced by it.

Archived