Is Australia close to the tipping point

I watched a segment on Today Tonight (7). It was about filling jobs in hospitality. All the front of house jobs were described as $'s for base salary per hour PLUS TIPS. The jobs were in major hotel chains. Just wondered if this will become an expectation of young people going into the industry here?

I can't see it happening whilst we have legislation for minimum wages and unions but if they should go with industrial relations then yes it could be a possibility. I would hate to be expected to tip - it should only be for exceptional service not be expected.

I watched a segment on Today Tonight (7). It was about filling jobs in hospitality. All the front of house jobs were described as $'s for base salary per hour PLUS TIPS.

Who was the segment for? Was it from the hospitality industry and/or geared towards saying these are areas that you can look for a job and expected wages?

It sounds like it was, in which case it's the usual approach of trying to make things sound more positive for potential applicants. Sell the 'possibility.' Doesn't mean it matches the reality.

Same in the cruising sector for that matter...

I watched a segment on Today Tonight (7). It was about filling jobs in hospitality. All the front of house jobs were described as $'s for base salary per hour PLUS TIPS. The jobs were in major hotel chains. Just wondered if this will become an expectation of young people going into the industry here?

Its always been around.

I can remember years ago the talk of the town was that waiters in "top" Sydney restaurants had to "pay " the Maitre' de if they wanted to work , as the tips were enormous.:

(

I remember a story told by a family friend who worked as a waiter on a cruiseship in Europe (or maybe trans Atlantic) in the 1920s or 1930s. He said he had to pay to get the job because the tips were so big. Only wealthy people could afford to travel in first or even second class in those days and I suppose they splashed the money around - maybe to impress the other passengers who wealthy they were.

So "Barcelona Tonight" is at it again with fabricated stories much like the fake storeis they made up about P&O Australia during the unfortunate Brimble inquest.

As part of the young generation I seriously doubt we will ever see tipping in Australia. You only have to step outside the major cities and live in real Australia to know that people will never accept this custom in this country.

Archived