Louis Olympia/Thomson Destiny Already Dropped by Louis?

You would like to think that at a few million for a solas compliant cruise ship, someone would have had a punt for emerging markets. Presumably she is just too expensive to run.

I agree, I did read that she was sold and suppose to sail the Caribbean out of Columbia, but I guess that fell through.

On the forum that was mentioned before, the latest rumour is that Thomson Destiny will be sailing the Caribbean in January 2013. If this rumour is true, surely it is too late now to put cruises on sale for January, so the only other option is that it is swapping with Thomson Dream. This can't really be happening can it. Now that swap would annoy a lot. Thomson Dream is much superior to Destiny, and will be Platinum at this time. I would think that if Destiny was returning as an addition it would be for winter 2013/14 and not sooner. It would be odd for them to add itineraries to a season that has already been on sale for a while.

On the forum that was mentioned before, the latest rumour is that Thomson Destiny will be sailing the Caribbean in January 2013. If this rumour is true, surely it is too late now to put cruises on sale for January, so the only other option is that it is swapping with Thomson Dream. This can't really be happening can it. Now that swap would annoy a lot. Thomson Dream is much superior to Destiny, and will be Platinum at this time. I would think that if Destiny was returning as an addition it would be for winter 2013/14 and not sooner. It would be odd for them to add itineraries to a season that has already been on sale for a while.

That was my mistake. I did mean for winter 13/14 so co-inside with the Thomson Airways Dreamliner serving more longhaul destinations other than Florida and Mexico. Really should re-read before postings!

That was my mistake. I did mean for winter 13/14 so co-inside with the Thomson Airways Dreamliner serving more longhaul destinations other than Florida and Mexico. Really should re-read before postings!

No, don't worry it wasn't you. :)

I understood that when you said Christmas 2013 you meant the next winter season. This was from another forum where they like cruising and like to talk about it. ;)

I definitely think that the Boeing 787 Dreamliner has something to do with the rebrand and new destinations.

It seems Louis Olympia/Destiny is now docked in Piraeus and has been now for a couple of weeks. All October cruises have now also been cancelled. On Louis Cruises website, they've got a special note on the front regarding 2013 cruises and to look at their Cruise Calendar to see all the itineraries, and it is definitely not listed. The plot thickens... :rolleyes:

Louis Olympia has moved across the water to Drapetsona. It was docked there in May 12 for maintenance following the hand over from Thomson Destiny to Louis Olympia. According to the DNV website some of its certifications are due and are currently under progress which would suggest the ship has moved to complete these. I noticed on another website that the ship was put up for sale on 13 Aug 12.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ship returns to Thomson as was a very popular choice. Contrary to other threads and other posters thoughts I'm not convinced that new ships are the way forward for the company. A familiar feel is what most return Thomson customers love and for me the likes of Destiny is a ship at the heart of that experience. I cruise with Thomson because I don't want an RCL, Celebrity and by far definately not the Carnival experience its just not for me! I would guess most repeat Thomson cruisers feel that way too. A new ship isn't necessarily a better ship and I for one don't like the idea of massive city at sea ships I'm more the small town kind with a sense of community. Bring Destiny back..........

Louis Olympia has moved across the water to Drapetsona. It was docked there in May 12 for maintenance following the hand over from Thomson Destiny to Louis Olympia. According to the DNV website some of its certifications are due and are currently under progress which would suggest the ship has moved to complete these. I noticed on another website that the ship was put up for sale on 13 Aug 12.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ship returns to Thomson as was a very popular choice. Contrary to other threads and other posters thoughts I'm not convinced that new ships are the way forward for the company. A familiar feel is what most return Thomson customers love and for me the likes of Destiny is a ship at the heart of that experience. I cruise with Thomson because I don't want an RCL, Celebrity and by far definately not the Carnival experience its just not for me! I would guess most repeat Thomson cruisers feel that way too. A new ship isn't necessarily a better ship and I for one don't like the idea of massive city at sea ships I'm more the small town kind with a sense of community. Bring Destiny back..........

I do so agree with you about the atmosphere and family feel to the Thomson ships being a big 'pull' for may repeat customers - us included. And I do believe too smaller is better from that point of view since the huge ships by their very nature can't provide the warm 'community' feel that small ships (with fantastic crew who know and remember so many of their passengers!) are able to provide. Something Thomson does provide in abundance and should be seen by the management as one of their most important assets and selling points - or at least so I think.

I'm not too sure about reviving Destiny though - in the short term perhaps to get over a relatively short transitional period if that supports the longer term plans - but despite its fantastic atmosphere and the fact that it was much-loved it is quite dated and the cabins aren't great (and paper-thin sound insulation too) and the Lido whilst improved is still not the best for self-service eating.

I think perhaps we should distinguish between 'new' and 'newer' and ships. I think the acquisition of Dream has been an excellent move - it's a newer ship with nice pool deck, better appointed cabins, decent self-service facilites and a showlounge which is an improvement too but it has still managed to fit into that Thomson mould in terms of ambience. Perhaps another 'newer' ship would be a better step - something more on the line of the Dream which now seems to meet with good customer approval (it's initial problems being short-lived and have been addressed).

I would like to see newer ships more like the Dream (even more modern would be better still) which would make us feel they value us enough to keep improving the product but it's essential within that to not go big and lose the atmosphere created on a smaller, welcoming ship. The design should also allow Thomson to deliver the 'product' in the style and manner their passengers expect - sadly, imo the Majesty hasn't done that in some respects which is a pity so I hope any other acquisitions to the fleet will prove to be an improved hardware that delivers the Thomson software in exactly the same way as their other much-loved ships.

I do so agree with you about the atmosphere and family feel to the Thomson ships being a big 'pull' for may repeat customers - us included. And I do believe too smaller is better from that point of view since the huge ships by their very nature can't provide the warm 'community' feel that small ships (with fantastic crew who know and remember so many of their passengers!) are able to provide. Something Thomson does provide in abundance and should be seen by the management as one of their most important assets and selling points - or at least so I think.

I'm not too sure about reviving Destiny though - in the short term perhaps to get over a relatively short transitional period if that supports the longer term plans - but despite its fantastic atmosphere and the fact that it was much-loved it is quite dated and the cabins aren't great (and paper-thin sound insulation too) and the Lido whilst improved is still not the best for self-service eating.

I think perhaps we should distinguish between 'new' and 'newer' and ships. I think the acquisition of Dream has been an excellent move - it's a newer ship with nice pool deck, better appointed cabins, decent self-service facilites and a showlounge which is an improvement too but it has still managed to fit into that Thomson mould in terms of ambience. Perhaps another 'newer' ship would be a better step - something more on the line of the Dream which now seems to meet with good customer approval (it's initial problems being short-lived and have been addressed).

I would like to see newer ships more like the Dream (even more modern would be better still) which would make us feel they value us enough to keep improving the product but it's essential within that to not go big and lose the atmosphere created on a smaller, welcoming ship. The design should also allow Thomson to deliver the 'product' in the style and manner their passengers expect - sadly, imo the Majesty hasn't done that in some respects which is a pity so I hope any other acquisitions to the fleet will prove to be an improved hardware that delivers the Thomson software in exactly the same way as their other much-loved ships.

Agree entirely! The main problems with the Destiny was that it was quite old, the buffet wasn't suitable and the standard cabins were just too small, and no matter how many upgrades that they did in terms of decor and public areas, these issues wouldn't have been resolved. Like you though, if it means that Thomson can visit more destinations, and it is only in the fleet for say a year or two while they look at other options, then I'm all for it (especially if it means the Far East possibility might happen).

Thomson Dream I think is probably the best of all the Thomson ships, a proper theatre, spacious cabins and overall, has a newer feeling. I think it is the right size for Thomson too. I think that they could perhaps get a slightly larger ship than this for its flagship, but not by too much as then I think the friendlier atmosphere would be lost. A ship similar size to Dream, which is newer would be a great addition.

Agree entirely! The main problems with the Destiny was that it was quite old, the buffet wasn't suitable and the standard cabins were just too small, and no matter how many upgrades that they did in terms of decor and public areas, these issues wouldn't have been resolved. Like you though, if it means that Thomson can visit more destinations, and it is only in the fleet for say a year or two while they look at other options, then I'm all for it (especially if it means the Far East possibility might happen).

Thomson Dream I think is probably the best of all the Thomson ships, a proper theatre, spacious cabins and overall, has a newer feeling. I think it is the right size for Thomson too. I think that they could perhaps get a slightly larger ship than this for its flagship, but not by too much as then I think the friendlier atmosphere would be lost. A ship similar size to Dream, which is newer would be a great addition.

I preferred Destiny to Dream and not just because i got a good nights sleep. Dreams internal arrangements lack differentation as far as the bars are concerned. I mentioned to the cruise director that all the bars seemed samey and a horizon or sky bar alternative was what was missing. He agreed with me!. Destiny's cabins were not good (OK for me)but the public areas looked smart. The buffet was a disaster but if she joined Island cruises that would not matter. The main dining room already has two long buffet counters used at breakfast and they would be fine for the evening as well.

Love the sky bar, there is no better place to be when leaving port. I personally thought the buffet was very good and as for the cabins well I'm only in mine to get washed, changed or sleep, how much room do you all need??? And for what?? Maybe I shouldn't ask that??!! Only complaint on size in the cabin from me was the shower!! But yeah, I too had a fab nights sleep on Destiny...

In fairness I have yet to sail on Dream so cannot compare it with Destiny until next year but I do know that bigger cabins and a 'newer' feel will not diminish my fondness for Destiny and I guarantee I am not alone!

Love the sky bar, there is no better place to be when leaving port. I personally thought the buffet was very good and as for the cabins well I'm only in mine to get washed, changed or sleep, how much room do you all need??? And for what?? Maybe I shouldn't ask that??!! Only complaint on size in the cabin from me was the shower!! But yeah, I too had a fab nights sleep on Destiny...

In fairness I have yet to sail on Dream so cannot compare it with Destiny until next year but I do know that bigger cabins and a 'newer' feel will not diminish my fondness for Destiny and I guarantee I am not alone!

I had no complaints about the buffet on Lido - just the accommodation which I found very draughty (that was before they put up the duble-glazed panels). This was particularly so when it was based in the Med and Canaries. It was better suited to the Caribbean imo - but of course in the last couple of years Dream took over these itineraries.

I agree that cabins are only for sleeping, showering and changing and am quite satisfied with basic cabins which is what we select on whichever ship - however if I am to draw comparisons, Destiny's aren't as good as Celebration/Spirit or Dream imo. I'm not having a go at Destiny - we've had some great holidays on board and loved the atmosphere and for the right price and itinerary would happily go on her again but do feel put alongside the other Thomson ships (Majesty excepted) Destiny basic cabins have more of a utility feel.

I will be interested to know how you think Dream compares after your trip.

Kruzseeka - I will definately let you know what I think of Dream. Very much looking forward to sailing on her. Would normally go for an inside cabin as its all we need but we left the booking a little late and are in an outside plus on deck 7. Really hoping its worth the extra cost but in fairness I still got a great price considering its school holiday time :-)

Kruzseeka - I will definately let you know what I think of Dream. Very much looking forward to sailing on her. Would normally go for an inside cabin as its all we need but we left the booking a little late and are in an outside plus on deck 7. Really hoping its worth the extra cost but in fairness I still got a great price considering its school holiday time :-)

We love the Dream - sadly no Sky Bar/Horizons equivalent but otherwise no 'down sides' imo. Hope you have a great time and having got a good price - you will be going in good spirits from the get-go! ;)

We love the Dream - sadly no Sky Bar/Horizons equivalent but otherwise no 'down sides' imo. Hope you have a great time and having got a good price - you will be going in good spirits from the get-go! ;)

I agree with you Kruzseeka about no Sky bar on the Dream. That's about the only thing missing. But just having been on Majesty I am torn between the two. I know Majesty's normal insides and outsides are not good and you need at least an inside plus. Some people complained about the crowded space on the pool deck on Majesty. But we don't do pool and it suited us fine. And Majesty does have the big forward facing Royal Observatory that dream Lacks.

Berwyn

Destiny - would be very pleased to see her back but needs a list of ( some minor ) improvements and suggestions carrying out to cut down on the minor complaints people make. Not been on Majesty but standard cabins seem to similar to those on Destiny. Destiny is ideal for warm weather cruising but otherwise suffers due to the Lido - if made all the dining buffet only then the Dining room plus the lido would probably cope.

Theatres and show lounges on Destiny are second to Dream in the fleet and Oklahoma may even be the best compared to its competitor lounges.And the Sky bar is in a league of its own.

Think the Destiny would be better for Eastern Med in Summer and put Celebration on Baltics and go without the Spirit but if having an extra ship - which would be the best solution - then if Destiny operates in warmer climates then it will be fine. It is when they try to use her in march or Oct / November in the med when the big issue start and people want to use the Lido at night but its chilly however they don't want to be tied to fixed dining times. Open dining may help or even one fixed sitting then open dining after a certain time.

Agree with those who say she would be a good swap for the Island Escape also.

Destiny - would be very pleased to see her back but needs a list of ( some minor ) improvements and suggestions carrying out to cut down on the minor complaints people make. Not been on Majesty but standard cabins seem to similar to those on Destiny. Destiny is ideal for warm weather cruising but otherwise suffers due to the Lido - if made all the dining buffet only then the Dining room plus the lido would probably cope.

Theatres and show lounges on Destiny are second to Dream in the fleet and Oklahoma may even be the best compared to its competitor lounges.And the Sky bar is in a league of its own.

Think the Destiny would be better for Eastern Med in Summer and put Celebration on Baltics and go without the Spirit but if having an extra ship - which would be the best solution - then if Destiny operates in warmer climates then it will be fine. It is when they try to use her in march or Oct / November in the med when the big issue start and people want to use the Lido at night but its chilly however they don't want to be tied to fixed dining times. Open dining may help or even one fixed sitting then open dining after a certain time.

Agree with those who say she would be a good swap for the Island Escape also.

the Sky Bar is fun, lots of passengers never visit it, apparently as a lot of them can't find their way there.

I thought the Klahoma lounge was a funny name until i realised about the hat :o

Always got a good night sleep on Destiny in my cosy midships little cave. no 'orrible single cabins anywhere

Here is my favourite sunbathing spot, you come out nice and stripey :D

destiny sun.pdf

Hvae had this confirmed this week the destiny is not returning to thomson

Hi MTT

Is your source so reliable that we should all take this as absolute fact now? I would say that I was thoroughly disgusted at the withdrawal of the Destiny. I have searched long and hard for the reasons why, and cannot find any. I cruised on her when she was Sunbird and again many times as Destiny. Unbeatable atmosphere, single room dining with singing waiters, great pool deck layout and proper shows in the Can Can lounge. It seems to me that Thomson don't really know their consumer. Now the Destiny is laid up in Piraeus doing nothing - either till March when Louis will re-deploy her with their local efforts, or a mysterious future. I can remember some great Caribbean holidays on her only a few years ago.....

To be honest, I hope you are wrong and Thomson do bring back the Destiny. I suppose that only time will tell.....

Regards...Julian

• 4 weeks later...
Well it does appear as though Destiny won't be returning to Thomson but does have a contract starting 31 March 2013 with Globus tours.

http://globusjourneys.ca/Product.aspx?trip=3TP&content=price

also for sale via cosmos uk and united vacations

Well that clears that one up then. No Destiny to replace IE then.

Just seen on Wikipedia that Louis Olympia is now down as a 'Ship not in active service'. Says to me that they must have some plan for the ship?

For some reason I can't get into the site that I use to check the ships, but it did come up

Louis Olympia - Live

and then logged me straight out, would not be surprised if one of the bosses is behind this trys to spoil everyone's fun :(

Those cruises have been on sale for a while, maybe even before the withdrawl of Olympia. I'm not sure whether or not it is the same company mentioned in the Louis press release over the weekend? Slightly different names?

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8250-louis-cruises-statement-on-cruise-club-holidays.html

Edit - looking at it they do appear separate companies. Perhaps the original company got into trouble, and now Globus have taken over?

Those cruises have been on sale for a while, maybe even before the withdrawl of Olympia. I'm not sure whether or not it is the same company mentioned in the Louis press release over the weekend? Slightly different names?

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8250-louis-cruises-statement-on-cruise-club-holidays.html

From what I can gather, they were selling cruises on board Ocean Majesty.

Archived