Ruby Princess Questions

Rottweiler Puppy

Just got back from a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. The Ruby was on it’s last voyage and is presently being relocated to florida. Our group consisted of 8 family members from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Not one member of the group will ever use a Princess ship again!

The ship was clean and the facilities were more than adequate. The service was a lot to be desired, and the food could have been better.

The bar tenders and waiters appeared to be just putting in time. They would generally be available to take our orders in a timely matter, but that is were the quick service would end. It seemed that on every order there was something that the waiter didn’t understand; and than when it was explained; they would go back to the bartender; who would promptly screw the order up. This happened not once but on numerous occasions. Drink or food orders would take way to long to be delivered. Than, they would have to return to bartender to get the correct order. Example! One order was for a paralyzer; (know as a Bull Dog on the ship) They had no idea what that was. The drinks ingredients and how to mix it was explained by my wife who had been a former cocktail waitress. The drink came back in three different glasses and we had to mix it ourselves! The next day; same waiter, same bartender, same thing! And don’t order a hot rum! Another drink that they hadn’t heard of; which is understandable. But once it is explained you’d think that mixing hot water. honey and rum would be easy. That too, came back in three different glasses; after waiting about thirty minutes. The next day; the same drink was ordered; the same waiter, didn’t know what we were talking about! And this is not in the same bar or lounge; it happened in all of them.

They charge 15% on chargeable items as a gratuity. Did you know that servers get nothing of this. The bartenders and managers share. Did you know that you have to pay $.50 for the mix you want in your drink?

Someone mentioned that the pizza’s were great. Well they are large and you can have the whole pizza. If you like a thin, soggy pizza with a minimal amount of toppings, well than, I say it was a good pizza. Not!!!

Disembarkment and re-entry proceeders could have been better. Getting out of the ship is okay; but you’d think that they would have at least put up some signs to point you in the right direction once you get of the ship; as one usually has to make your way through a maze of buildings and shops in order to get to the street or the tour buses. It’s the same coming back on. A Royal Caribbean ship was parked beside us one day and they actually had people out side with signs pointing their passengers in the right direction!

One good point. Four of us had dinner in one of their sit down restaurants. The food and the service their was exceptional. To the waiter; nothing was impossible and he couldn’t get it to the table fast enough! The prime rib that was served was excellent. not like some of the meat dishes that were consumed in the Leonardo De Vinci dining room. Me thinks, some of those cooks should come to Alberta to learn how to cook a good steak. But I do understand that they were definitely not working with good Alberta beef!

That’s my rant; and of course, it is only my opinion. Talk to a hundred people; and you WILL get one hundred different opinions!!

Just got back from a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. The Ruby was on it’s last voyage and is presently being relocated to florida. Our group consisted of 8 family members from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Not one member of the group will ever use a Princess ship again!

The ship was clean and the facilities were more than adequate. The service was a lot to be desired, and the food could have been better.

The bar tenders and waiters appeared to be just putting in time. They would generally be available to take our orders in a timely matter, but that is were the quick service would end. It seemed that on every order there was something that the waiter didn’t understand; and than when it was explained; they would go back to the bartender; who would promptly screw the order up. This happened not once but on numerous occasions. Drink or food orders would take way to long to be delivered. Than, they would have to return to bartender to get the correct order. Example! One order was for a paralyzer; (know as a Bull Dog on the ship) They had no idea what that was. The drinks ingredients and how to mix it was explained by my wife who had been a former cocktail waitress. The drink came back in three different glasses and we had to mix it ourselves! The next day; same waiter, same bartender, same thing! And don’t order a hot rum! Another drink that they hadn’t heard of; which is understandable. But once it is explained you’d think that mixing hot water. honey and rum would be easy. That too, came back in three different glasses; after waiting about thirty minutes. The next day; the same drink was ordered; the same waiter, didn’t know what we were talking about! And this is not in the same bar or lounge; it happened in all of them.

They charge 15% on chargeable items as a gratuity. Did you know that servers get nothing of this. The bartenders and managers share. Did you know that you have to pay $.50 for the mix you want in your drink?

Someone mentioned that the pizza’s were great. Well they are large and you can have the whole pizza. If you like a thin, soggy pizza with a minimal amount of toppings, well than, I say it was a good pizza. Not!!!

Disembarkment and re-entry proceeders could have been better. Getting out of the ship is okay; but you’d think that they would have at least put up some signs to point you in the right direction once you get of the ship; as one usually has to make your way through a maze of buildings and shops in order to get to the street or the tour buses. It’s the same coming back on. A Royal Caribbean ship was parked beside us one day and they actually had people out side with signs pointing their passengers in the right direction!

One good point. Four of us had dinner in one of their sit down restaurants. The food and the service their was exceptional. To the waiter; nothing was impossible and he couldn’t get it to the table fast enough! The prime rib that was served was excellent. not like some of the meat dishes that were consumed in the Leonardo De Vinci dining room. Me thinks, some of those cooks should come to Alberta to learn how to cook a good steak. But I do understand that they were definitely not working with good Alberta beef!

That’s my rant; and of course, it is only my opinion. Talk to a hundred people; and you WILL get one hundred different opinions!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Not every cruise line is for everyone. I'm not sure if this was your first cruise. The Med is great and itinerary you had is amazing.

I don't know your cruise history. But getting a good beef dish on ANY mass market cruise ship's main dining room is a challenge. If you were under the impression that you were going to get restaurant quality beef in a non-pay for venue on a cruise ship, then you didn't do your homework. Perhaps you found Cruise Critic a bit too late. If you want a decent steak in a Royal Caribbean main dining room, it actually IS available............ for a $15 up charge. As for drink gratuities, these are common on all lines. I don't think it's advisable to "cruise for food". It is limiting and you miss out on the tastes of local culture. We are okay with the function food on cruise ships and enjoy the up charge restaurants. Pizza is an afterthought. It's a freaking snack.

theslaz....you are ranting to Princess fans so not sure you will get much sympathy. However, thank you for your mini review.

P.S. your comments should of not been posted on this thread as it is being hijacked from the OP.

Enjoy cruising with another line.

I thought the original poster was asking for some info on the Ruby Princess, and I offered it. How is that Hijacking???

This is my fifth cruise; all the others were with Carnival. Never had any problems with Carnival. And you are right; I will try to enjoy my next cruise on a non Princess ship!

As for “Cruising for food”; that was/is not the case. We stopped at many cities and enjoyed the foods that were available at them; however; each and every night, we had to be back on board for supper; so we did not have a choice but to partake in the dinning experience on the ship. One of the things these cruise lines push big time in their advertising is the quantity; variety and quality of food that is available. Well on the Ruby; the quantity and variety was there; but the quality and service was questionable!

Again; one man’s opinion!

I thought the original poster was asking for some info on the Ruby Princess, and I offered it. How is that Hijacking???

This is my fifth cruise; all the others were with Carnival. Never had any problems with Carnival. And you are right; I will try to enjoy my next cruise on a non Princess ship!

As for “Cruising for food”; that was/is not the case. We stopped at many cities and enjoyed the foods that were available at them; however; each and every night, we had to be back on board for supper; so we did not have a choice but to partake in the dinning experience on the ship. One of the things these cruise lines push big time in their advertising is the quantity; variety and quality of food that is available. Well on the Ruby; the quantity and variety was there; but the quality and service was questionable!

Again; one man’s opinion!

I appreciate the recent insight. I think I wil be ok still. I only drink my bourbon straight and I am ordering a bottle for the room, so no interation with bartenders for me.

Food service of course can vary from one table to the next unfortunately so I wil see how that goes. Thankfully I chose anytime so if I get good service I can request that table ans wait staff again. If I get bad I wil try another time to go and different waiter and table.

Pizza I dont care bout, it cant be worse than the crap I tried to eat on the Carnival Liberty lol. (Imagination had decent pizza though) I might trya slice. Even if its good I dont see myswelf ordering more then 2 slices for the entire trip.

Sorry you didnt have a good time, nothing worse then paying good $ and not get what you were expecting. Thanks for the mini review though.

Its ok I dont mind. Your info is on topic and apreciated.

Its only a hijack if folks start to take offence to your post and turn it into a long debate which I dont think wil happen. You offered your insight and experiece regarding my Original post and thread.

Happy cruisings wherever you go.

Well first off, we've done a few Carnivals (2) but mostly on Princess (7). We prefer Princess better and will stay there. Been on 4 different Princess ships and liked the Ruby the best. It had been through a drydock refurb a few months before our last sailing and we noticed right away the new ff&e. Loungers & tables on Lido were much nicer than in the past. Steamroom was the best of any of their ships we've been on. Gelato, snacks & coffees in the IC were fabulous. We did Sabatini's and Crown Grill each one night and had very nice meals and was a notch or three above regular fare. Main dining room food always offers some excellent choices. We keep it simple, without any special requests, and have rarely been disappointed. We do spend more time at Caribe Cafe buffet as the main dining room experience tends to take too long for us. While the Lido deck pizza always pleased us for a snack, I will say this past year it was a let down. A few of us came to the conclusion that Princess changed their sauce and it caused the taste to decline in our opinion. Burgers at the poolside grill are always good. So to the OP, we switched long ago from Carnival to Princess and like the Ruby the best! :D

So to the OP, we switched long ago from Carnival to Princess and like the Ruby the best! :D

Awesome to hear.

FWIW I am not brand loyal. My last 2 crusies were with Carnival, before that, Celebrity and RCCL. Way before that Commodore, Chandris (the original X), Imperial Majesty, and the goold old booze crusies Sea Escape and Discovery (about 30 times on those)

I can have a good time on any ship as longs as its not on fire or sinking.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to Rottweiler Puppy for posting this thread and to those who responded.:)

I will be cruising the Ruby for the first time also and greatly appreciate the info. I have cruised Princess once, 8 years ago on Caribbean Princess, so it's been a while and I don't remember a lot of specifics.

With all due respect to the OP, if I could ask another question...

Some have stated that the beds are hard. Unfortunately, I now have a bad back, but I'd like to see how the bed is first before requesting anything special that may not be needed.

Is it possible to request an egg-crate topper once aboard ship or does it need to be requested prior to the sailing?

Is it possible to request an egg-crate topper once aboard ship or does it need to be requested prior to the sailing?

Yes, just ask your cabin steward.

But check if you need it soon after getting on board in case there is a limited number of the egg-crates available.

Many thanks to Rottweiler Puppy for posting this thread and to those who responded.:)

I will be cruising the Ruby for the first time also and greatly appreciate the info. I have cruised Princess once, 8 years ago on Caribbean Princess, so it's been a while and I don't remember a lot of specifics.

Some have stated that the beds are hard. Unfortunately, I now have a bad back, but I'd like to see how the bed is first before requesting anything special that may not be needed.

I am sailing in 9 days and will definitely let you know about the beds.

Thanks everyone for their info.

[quote name='Rottweiler Puppy']Any steak in the MDR? or Steakhouse only? I am doiong the steakhouse at least one night though but wondered if they at least have a NY or even a sirloin in the MDR[/quote]

I was on the Ruby in March 2010 and saw the waiter bring steaks; not filets (tournedos they used to have on the menu; always available) but T bone steaks. I asked my waiter and he told me they had requested them with the head waiter. We did and then anytime we did not see something we loved we would get the steaks. These are the T bones they have the last night with a pepper corn sauce. They are not as great as the steaks in Crown Grille but they are really good. princess knows how to make a steak medium rare unless you are from Texas and want them burnt to a crisp. Seems everyone I have known from Texas likes them that way.

If you like a great steak go to Crown Grille and you will have a dinner like going to Emeril's in Las Vegas. well worth the $25 cover charge.

Rottweiler Puppy

I've seen your posts over on the Carnival board where I did my prep for our last cruise on the Pride. I did a review (unfinished) of that cruise with some comparisons to Princess. We enjoyed that cruise and will cruise Miracle soon. Both are drive-to's for us. That flight to FLL is really getting expensive.

That said, after cruising (and enjoying) RCI, HAL, Princess, and Carnival, we find that Princess is definitely the best bang for the buck for us. We have done three different Princess ships, and Ruby was our favorite. Yeah, the beds aren't the best, but I never didn't fall asleep! More choices of activities, entertainment, dining, pool areas, bars, etc. than any ship we have sailed. Other than the separated dining areas (a bit of "you can't get there from here") I really like the design and flow of the ship.

And though you may not like buffets, look at the extended hours. You might not need room service! One pleasant morning, grab some buffet breakfast and head out to the outdoor tables out the back of the Lido at the rear adult pool. Sit and have breakfast watching the wake. Fabulous. Also, we found ordering a bottle for the room and drink prices in general more reasonable than Carnival.

Enjoy; I'm jealous.

[quote name='alreadypacked']Many thanks to Rottweiler Puppy for posting this thread and to those who responded.:)

Is it possible to request an egg-crate topper once aboard ship or does it need to be requested prior to the sailing?[/QUOTE]

We request them prior to sailing (actually our TA does it for us). I'd not want to take the chance on not being able to have one. We haven't sailed on Ruby (yet, coming up in April :)) but we have cruised on 2 other Princess ships. We learned the hard way to request the egg crate topper. Our first experience, the bed was so hard I felt like I was sleeping on an ironing board.

They can always take it off for you if you don't like it.

We were on the same cruise on the Ruby as the new CC member who posted very negatively earlier on this thread. We loved our cruise, and had excellent service. Every staff member we had contact with was extremely cordial. We don't drink, so I can't comment on the bartenders. I believe you will really enjoy your cruise.

Both my husband and I spent our careers in customer service, and we know that a friendly smile and a good attitude are a much better guarantee of good service than being surly or demanding.

Archived