LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

The Windjammer Crew sets up BBQ's on the Pool Deck from time to time and cooks Chicken, Ribs, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, etc. out on the Pool Deck. There are also a nice selections of vegetables and salads.

The food is excellent but the lines are long.

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

It's My Vacation and I Will do Whatever I Want!

IMG_1999-1.jpg

During the Canal Transit many people ate in the Windjammer early and then "camped out" in the air condition comfort of the Windjammer to watch the transit.

Table were hard to find because of this and there were no tables on the Pool Deck because of the BBQ out there.

I got this email from two of our table mates on the first leg of the cruise and it deserves an answer here for all of you.

I've been having fun following along on your cruise critic site. We had such a wonderful trip, and part of that was having dinner with you both every night. So.... my question is, why have you chosen to eat dinner in the Windjammer so often?

We ate in the MDR every night during the first leg. WE had great Table Mates and enjoyed the food and conversations!

We tried the Windjammer one night early during this leg of the cruise and enjoyed it:

- No kids running around

- A greater selection of things to choose from

- No Specialty Restaurants to pull us out of the MDR

- Half of the Windjammer closed off and a non-crowded and quiet atmosphere. (Quieter than the MDR)

- A super helpful Windjammer Staff that makes us feel welcome

On most of our past cruises, while school was out and the ships were overrun with kids, the Windjammer at night was noisy and confusing. We did not enjoy ourselves there and stuck with the MDR and Specialty Restaurants.

I guess the conditions are "just right" for us in the Windjammer on this cruise.

Edited by Trainman-2

I got this email from two of our table mates on the first leg of the cruise and it deserves an answer here for all of you.

We ate in the MDR every night during the first leg. WE had great Table Mates and enjoyed the food and conversations!

We tried the Windjammer one night early during this leg of the cruise and enjoyed it:

- No kids running around

- A greater selection of things to choose from

- No Specialty Restaurants to pull us out of the MDR

- Half of the Windjammer closed off and a non-crowded and quiet atmosphere. (Quieter than the MDR)

- A super helpful Windjammer Staff that makes us feel welcome

On most of our past cruises, while school was out and the ships were overrun with kids, the Windjammer at night was noisy and confusing. We did not enjoy ourselves there and stuck with the MDR and Specialty Restaurants.

I guess the conditions are "just right" for us in the Windjammer on this cruise.

Trainman, My guess is that the menu on the 2nd leg is a repeat of the menu on the 1st leg so I would probably want some variety and eat in the WJ as well. Enjoy!!!!

Patty

The Flamingo Farm:

It is not really a Flamingo Farm but an area just outside the terminal where they set food out for Flamingos, Iguanas, and Monkeys. They are not fenced it and free to leave anytime or to stay and eat the free food. They are not stupid!

They are separated from the people by a small fence so it is not a petting zoo and the people leave them alone.

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

We had pre-booked a Pirate Ship Tour in Cartagena but we cancelled because were afraid we would be too hot and uncomfortable. It turned out to be a cloudy day and we sort of regretted cancelling.

But I got some nice photos of the Pirate Ship.

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

Someone asked about my future cruise plans and for the first time ever, I am about to get off a RCI Ship with no cruises booked at all.

During the first leg of the cruise my election to Commodore of the Palm Coast Yacht Club was confirmed and I take office on January 1st.

It is going to be busy year for me and I really need ot devote my time to the Club so no cruises in 2013.

Edited by Trainman-2

Outside the Terminal Building in Cartagena they have reproduction of a mine tunnel with examples of jewels as found in the mine and displays of natural and cut gems. It is free, air conditioned, and worth walking through.

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

There is a really nice, air conditioned store in the Terminal Building and a Duty Free Shop for Cigarettes and Booze. It is "no pressure" with clerks standing behind the various displays and shelves to answer questions and help if needed.

They have bathrooms with real flush toilets too!

The tour buses pick up and return the Excursionistas at the ship so they all miss this area completely.

There is a free shuttle from the ship to the Terminal and back that runs about every 10 minutes.

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Someone asked about my future cruise plans and for the first time ever, I am about to get off a RCI Ship with no cruises booked at all.

During the first leg of the cruise my election to Commodore of the Palm Coast Yacht Club was confirmed and I take office on January 1st.

It is going to be busy year for me and I really need ot devote my time to the Club so no cruises in 2013.

First off, congratulations on your appointment Jim, while I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you face to face (yet), I know from your posts and from FB that you are an honourable and dedicated man who is hard working and 100% true to his word and his principles. The club will be blessed to have such a man at the helm.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you on a ship in 2013, but we'll see. This brings me to something I've been wondering, and that is will we ever get to see a Trainman review from Europe? I would love to see your perspectives from this side of the pond!

That's all for now.

I have zillions of photos and have only been posting highlights. When I get home I will upload all of them and give you a link tot he location.

I do not copyright my photos so they are free to you all for your own use.

I will start uploading and posting post cruise comments and photos this weekend.

Two lazy sea days and then home.

How and where would I do a Blog on this?

Any suggestions or advise?

Jim - Start a web site!!! You have the smarts to handle that, and I'm sure CC would allow you to post the link. Also the Corvette site..'off topic'

Sign me up to follow you.

dm

Hi Jim.

Really enjoyed following along on your double transit. The pics of the canal and the operation of the locks were great!!

You asked about blogging which I think would be a great thing for you to do. Your writing style and the way you use pictures to show things would be perfect in that format. I used to have a blog when I was traveling America on blogspot.com It was somewhat customizable as far as layout and such and was pretty user friendly. It was also free which was nice! Not sure if there are better sites out there so hopefully you get some good input from the rest of your devoted following;). Hope you and Carol enjoy the rest of your trip and thank you for taking so much time from your trip to bring the rest of us along. Take care, Jim

That's all for now.

I have zillions of photos and have only been posting highlights. When I get home I will upload all of them and give you a link tot he location.

I do not copyright my photos so they are free to you all for your own use.

I will start uploading and posting post cruise comments and photos this weekend.

Two lazy sea days and then home.

Thank you Trainman2 for all your photos & reporting! I know how time consuming it is, not to mention the WiFi cost you had! I hope you & Judith have a safe trip home!:)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

We will all have Trainman withdrawal in 2013.

But keep us posted on the new house and the work you are doing for the Palm Coast Yacht Club.

Do you have a web site we can follow?

I have watched your work on The Old Kings Road and hope to see more of the work you will be doing.

Take care.