Why Carnival transport - insurance?

lea

Still wondering if Carnival transport would be insurance as far as getting to the cruise on time. Flying in day of and debating between SAS and Carnival to get from FLL to POM. Thought if I spent extra $ for Carnival I would be more assured of making it to the cruise if I made it to the transport. My flight arrives in FLL about noon and have to get to POM. ( Although SAS has been great before). Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for your info.

Still wondering if Carnival transport would be insurance as far as getting to the cruise on time. Flying in day of and debating between SAS and Carnival to get from FLL to POM. Thought if I spent extra $ for Carnival I would be more assured of making it to the cruise if I made it to the transport. My flight arrives in FLL about noon and have to get to POM. ( Although SAS has been great before). Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for your info.

Don't know the official answer. When we sailed the Ecstasy a while back we ahd Carnival transfers from the airport in Houston to the dock in Galveston. We were on the last bus and they held the bus at the airport waiting on a late flight. Sort of insurance but no guarantee. If you really want to be safe (and it would be something I would def consider), think about 3rd party insurance that will ensure you getting to the ship (maybe next port). Noon is cutting it a tad close.

I think this is one of those things that each person just has to decide on their own. Our rule of thumb has always been that if we fly in the day of the cruise, we use the cruise company's transport to the dock. If we arrive the day prior, then we don't use the cruise company's transport.

I think this is one of those things that each person just has to decide on their own. Our rule of thumb has always been that if we fly in the day of the cruise, we use the cruise company's transport to the dock. If we arrive the day prior, then we don't use the cruise company's transport.

Why think transportation to the dock by Carnival will guarantee you get there?

It won't.

It's fairly easy to go on line and compare the cost of taking the Carnival shuttle versus SAS, a taxi, or any other type of transportation from FLL to the P.O.M. Just as a point of reference, for our last cruise, we flew into the Miami airport. A taxi is $24.00 (per cab) to the port. The Carnival shuttle is $16.00 per person. One thing to keep in mind is, the shuttle bus won't leave until it's full, so that will delay your arrival at the port. At least with a taxi (or van), you're the only passengers, so you'll be able to get to the port a lot quicker, and probably a little cheaper. Hope this helps in making your decision.:)

It's fairly easy to go on line and compare the cost of taking the Carnival shuttle versus SAS, a taxi, or any other type of transportation from FLL to the P.O.M. Just as a point of reference, for our last cruise, we flew into the Miami airport. A taxi is $24.00 (per cab) to the port. The Carnival shuttle is $16.00 per person. One thing to keep in mind is, the shuttle bus won't leave until it's full, so that will delay your arrival at the port. At least with a taxi (or van), you're the only passengers, so you'll be able to get to the port a lot quicker, and probably a little cheaper. Hope this helps in making your decision.:)

The OP is flying into the FLL airport so the numbers posted will not help them for this trip but will hopefully help them or someone else on a future trip where the plane lands in MIA.:)

Bill

Okay, but is the transport not akin to an excursion? If you make the final bus they will hold the ship for the people on the Carnival sponsored transport.

I know someone from a group I sailed with in 2006 that got delayed on Carnival-arranged transportation (flights and port shuttle), and they held the ship until she got there - about 15 minutes after we were set to sail. I doubt it's a "guarantee", but it might better your chances if you're flying in the day of.

Note that this is not a "recommendation". I think Carnival's shuttles are outrageously overpriced. Also, I used Carnival's Fly Aweigh program for that first cruise (flights and port shuttle) and will never do it again. The connections were way too close for my comfort, and I was so stressed out by the time I got onboard that I couldn't calm down till the next day. Now I *always* fly in at least one day before....

Okay, but is the transport not akin to an excursion? If you make the final bus they will hold the ship for the people on the Carnival sponsored transport.

After a certain time there won't be a bus to catch.

If you want to go that route, you'll have to book air with Carnival

Archived