omg! what if you have no d.l

I see a lot of questions on these boards where people are asking what form of ID would be acceptable. One thing I just cannot understand is some people's reluctance to get and use a passport. What is the problem with doing that? (I realize that for the OP's friend it is too late to do that now but honestly - she's had 8 months.)

Having a passport avoids all problems that may arise through not having the right type of birth certificate, having a revoked drivers license, etc. It also avoids the major hassle that would occur if someone had their cruise cut short and had to fly home from a foreign country - you NEED a passport to arrive in the US by air.

So someone please explain to me why there are so many people who are so reluctant to get a passport.

Paul

With only 8 days left, will she have time to get a state-issued ID? I know they mail them here, rather than handing them to you- it might be better to go to the nearest passport office and pay through the nose for the one they give you while you wait.

I see a lot of questions on these boards where people are asking what form of ID would be acceptable. One thing I just cannot understand is some people's reluctance to get and use a passport. What is the problem with doing that? (I realize that for the OP's friend it is too late to do that now but honestly - she's had 8 months.)

Having a passport avoids all problems that may arise through not having the right type of birth certificate, having a revoked drivers license, etc. It also avoids the major hassle that would occur if someone had their cruise cut short and had to fly home from a foreign country - you NEED a passport to arrive in the US by air.

So someone please explain to me why there are so many people who are so reluctant to get a passport.

Paul

I can only speak for myself- I do not need a passport for the type of travel that I am currently able to do. I know that I have the right documentation and the risk of me having to come back before the trip is done is very slim. It is not so much a reluctance to have a passport as it is a reluctance to buy something that I do not need.

She needs to get a State Issued ID card. In most states possession of a suspended or revoked DL is a crime. And if she presents it to a Law Enforcement Officer she can be arrested for that. It would suck to end or begin a cruise in the slammer. Go get the I.D. card issued by the DMV. It will save on the headaches. But if you like to take chances if they dont run it then she will be good, but remember customs officials runs the manifest of all passengers to check for warrants so they may find out that way.

I can think of 135 rea$on$ why many people are reluctant. ;)

Not including me. In fact, mine expires in January, so I need to get it renewed.

It is only a crime to be in possession of a revoked license if you were required to surrender it!

Your friend can use her license if it's still in her possession (and she was not required to surrender it) or she can go to the DMV and get a state id.

Good luck!

Great point, we saw a guy denied boarding because it did not have a raised seal.

Lord I hope this is not our case... all of our BC's are color coded not raised seal....

And yes she can use her DL as an ID as long as it is not expired and she is not driving the ship :D

How old is this goof-ball friend ? Certainly hope they're not out there driving. Seriously. :confused:

Tell her to take care of her business concerning the revoked license. If there is not enough time, then just get the State ID and use the official BC.

If you have a passport, it is all the ID you need, period.

So true. but when you go to the passport acceptance facility you have to prove your identity with a photo ID as well as have a birth certificate that meets the more stringent requirments.

I can think of 135 rea$on$ why many people are reluctant. ;)

Not including me. In fact, mine expires in January, so I need to get it renewed.

Maybe the reluctant need to think of it in terms of $13.50 per year. Or, how many six packs will they buy in a year? or how many Starbucks or how many cartons of cigarettes or half gallons of ice cream? In the scheme of things people waste good money on junk and then get peeved to have to spend the money for that first passport.

Great point, we saw a guy denied boarding because it did not have a raised seal.

A revoked D/L?? I'd pay 10 bucks to get a valid state issued ID, and a passport alone is king? I wouldn't chance it if it was my vacation.

We use our passports exclusively for ID when on a trip, we've never had to show a drivers license, so I respectfully disagree.

Carole

She needs to get a State Issued ID card. In most states possession of a suspended or revoked DL is a crime. And if she presents it to a Law Enforcement Officer she can be arrested for that. It would suck to end or begin a cruise in the slammer. Go get the I.D. card issued by the DMV. It will save on the headaches. But if you like to take chances if they dont run it then she will be good, but remember customs officials runs the manifest of all passengers to check for warrants so they may find out that way.

It doesn't make sense to me that they would arrest her for using a revoked license for ID.

If she is caught operating a vehicle then yes, she would be in trouble, but to use an expired license for ID ? I don't think anyone would notice.

IMO, Carole

Maybe the reluctant need to think of it in terms of $13.50 per year. Or, how many six packs will they buy in a year? or how many Starbucks or how many cartons of cigarettes or half gallons of ice cream? In the scheme of things people waste good money on junk and then get peeved to have to spend the money for that first passport.

Got to agree.....some might call it "penny wise and pound foolish"

Others would say "financial irresponsibility"

It comes in handy so often for other things too....it proves that "you are you"

With only 8 days left, will she have time to get a state-issued ID? I know they mail them here, rather than handing them to you- it might be better to go to the nearest passport office and pay through the nose for the one they give you while you wait.

So true. California issues a paper ID or DL without a picture. It can take up to six weeks for a replacement.

OP-- How did this friend book? Anything but ES you can replace her for $50.

A revoked D/L?? I'd pay 10 bucks to get a valid state issued ID, and a passport alone is king? I wouldn't chance it if it was my vacation.

My birth certificate does not have a raised seal and I have never been denied boarding. There was something else wrong with is BC.

Passport is the only thing along with boarding passes is the only thing we give them. Never had a problem.

I've never had a Driver's license due to disability but use a state issued ID for everything. It has my photo and birthdate. Works perfect.

I have a state issued ID too, but oddly enough, in my state many liquor stores will not accept it (supposedly it is easier to forge than a real driver's license). You're supposed to get a special "liquor ID" for non-drivers, but that costs more. So I end up bringing my passport to the liquor store! LOL!

Passport is the king of I.D.

In Mississippi, took my son to get his driver's permit. They requested a birth certificate, but we didn't have it for some reason (and he was born in Nevada -- couldn't just run over and get one). Figured passport would be good enough since you needed a b.c. to get a passport. Nope. They absolutely would not accept a passport in lieu of a b.c.

However, all I've ever used on a cruise is a passport.

Passports are great and I have one, but the Op's friend doesn't have time to get one.

Op, not sure what state you are in, but if your friend can go get a state issued photo ID (we can get them same day here in Memphis), then I would highly suggest she gets one.

Personally I think this person has forfeited their rights to go on a nice cruise. They have caused much aggravation to everyone else with their irresponsible behavior. It's too late to apply for just about any other form of ID.

Leave silly friend home and impress upon yours the need to choose friends more carefully.

Archived