Cruise Directors

KAWS

In all the cruises we've taken (about 15) I can't remember any of the CD's. At the time we might make a comment as to whether or not we think it's a "good one" but really it makes no difference to our cruising experience.

So I'm wondering......For those that do have preferences, what, in your opnion, makes a good Cruise Director?

My friend, so far over 100 people have looked at your thread, and so far no one has responded, you may be wondering why. Now others will have their own opinion, but there are so many threads on this subject that you might be better off looking at the comments on those. But also with your 2,830 odd posts some people might also think that you know about these other threads. Maybe you could check them out.

My friend, so far over 100 people have looked at your thread, and so far no one has responded, you may be wondering why. Now others will have their own opinion, but there are so many threads on this subject that you might be better off looking at the comments on those. But also with your 2,830 odd posts some people might also think that you know about these other threads. Maybe you could check them out.

Thanks for your response. My question came as a result of another thread where people were discussing that this person or that person was a good CD but I can't recall reading WHY people thought what they did. I had originally posted my question on that thread but then thought I might be guilty of hijacking or trying to hijack their thread so thought I'd just post my question as a separate question.

But again, thanks for your response. Since who the CD is really has never had an impact on our cruising experience I don't thik I'm going to bother wading through the many threads that may be out there. It was merely a curiosity thing on my part.

Hi Kim,

Like you the CD had never impacted on my cruise experience until we had Joff Eaton as our CD on Independence. What makes him good? I really don't know lol, but he's everywhere and so funny - maybe we're just on the same wavelength as far as humour goes. We've been on three cruises now with Joff - that hasn't stopped us enjoying the cruises he hasn't been on but I couldn't tell you what CD's we had, so I suppose the difference is that you know who and where he is!!!

Gill

I have been on close to 40 cruises, and would not know the name of one cruise director unless I had read the name on here.

I live in Los Angeles, and cant stand the whole Hollywood scene, could not give a rats a** if I ever see an actor/actress. I get the same vibe from CD's, they just remind me too much of Hollywood, and do my best to avoid them and the activities they host.

I find talking to the wait staff, bartenders, and hotel staff much more interesting and real.

I've been on 18 cruises, and I don't really remember many of the cruise directors. I remember the first (Corey Schmidt) because he was really good and he was also the CD on my second cruise. I remember Richard Spacey, because he was absolutely fantastic, and I remember Ken Rush, because he shows up on the travel channel whenever they do a show on RCI ships. The thing that makes a cruise director memorable to me is they are personable, funny, and genuine. They go the extra mile and make you feel like you're more than just a customer they have to entertain. Some cruise directors just make an appearance at the beginning or end of shows, and then just to make announcements about other shows. The memorable ones put on a little show of their own (e.g., Richard Spacey's evolution of dance, and jumping in the water at the aquashow) and appear at the beginning and end of shows. The good ones seem to really enjoy their jobs, which adds to your enjoyment during the cruise.

That being said, a CD does not make or break the cruise experience, but it could be the difference between 5 stars and 5+ stars for the overall cruise experience.

I've been on 18 cruises, and I don't really remember many of the cruise directors. The memorable ones put on a little show of their own (e.g., Richard Spacey's evolution of dance, and jumping in the water at the aquashow) and appear at the beginning and end of shows. The good ones seem to really enjoy their jobs, which adds to your enjoyment during the cruise.

Yes I think I'd really enjoy and remember him too. Thanks so much for responding. That does really answer my question. :D

I only remember the best and the worst. On our Jewel of the Seas cruise, Chloe was fabulous. Best CD ever was Gary on the NCL Jade last December. He'd previously trained cruise directors with another line and came back to work after a headhunter made him an offer. Singer, dancer, speaker of six languages....put on great events including his own book signing.

Had one whose name I can't recall who I could not understand how he got in that position. The rest did not impact the experience one way or the other.

I only remember the best and the worst. On our Jewel of the Seas cruise, Chloe was fabulous. Best CD ever was Gary on the NCL Jade last December. He'd previously trained cruise directors with another line and came back to work after a headhunter made him an offer. Singer, dancer, speaker of six languages....put on great events including his own book signing.

Had one whose name I can't recall who I could not understand how he got in that position. The rest did not impact the experience one way or the other.

I just had to say...I love your name!!!!

We felt that she was not as polished or professional in her attitude as other CDs have been. Her "booty" shaking got old and repetative.We were near her on 2 occassions when she was being asked questions by passengers and she seemed a little annoyed to be delayed in making her exit from the event. There was something almost phony feeling about her. Her hosting of the Love and Marriage show was horrible .The incident that really made us not respect her as CD was when we were at the Quest and were seated in a section with 30 or 40 people who were excited to be having a fun evening. One of the quests was to show a form of birthcontrol--one woman went up to Amy along with the team captain and said that she was a lesbian and that was a form of birthcontrol. Amy replied to the woman "for that I'll take 100 points away from your team".She didn't say it into the microphone nor did she deduct points(which we have never seen done on any ship except at this quest) but when the guest and the team captain came back into the group section and relayed what was said, people were appalled at the negative and disparaging comment made to a passenger. It definitely influenced our opinion of Amy and made us wonder how someone in her capacity could be so insensitive or demeaning to any guest.

I agree that the staff and crew make NO difference to me at all. As long as the Captain knows where we're going, and gets us there safely, it's all good.

I don't care if there's a CD or not....aside from introducing the shows, we never notice them. I'm sure anyone could say, "Ok, folks, sit back and enjoy the show"!

I agree a CD does not make or break my cruise experience but my all time favorite was Jimmy Rhodes. He was very down to earth and funny.He also was out and about everywhere. My second favorite would probably Allen Brooks. Most of the others seem to all be out of one mold. Their welcome aboard and farewell dialogues are almost identical.

I agree that the staff and crew make NO difference to me at all. As long as the Captain knows where we're going, and gets us there safely, it's all good.

I don't care if there's a CD or not....aside from introducing the shows, we never notice them. I'm sure anyone could say, "Ok, folks, sit back and enjoy the show"!

If you seriously think that is all the cruise director does, then you are very naive. This is a management position that is responsible for ALL the activities while on board the ship. The CD is the one who plans and staffs all the entertainment on board. So unless you do nothing but sit in your cabin, eat and look at the ocean - the CD does in fact impact your cruise - especially on sea days. I guess that there are some passengers who really just look at the ship as a floating hotel - a place to eat and sleep and that is about all. Personally we like to get involved in all the activities and a bad CD really does make a difference to that.

Archived