Obvious things a newbie cruiser might not know

RoonilWazlib

Does Celebrity provide some kind of tote bag to use for pool items or should I pack one?

lpd16

Yes there's a bag of some sort in the cabin as a gift (at least I know in mine there was). The bag varies in degrees of niceness depending on your cabin class. The ones for concierge i believe are much nicer than the ones you get in verandah class. The verandah class one is very thin and pretty easy to rip but, will do the job on board for sure :-)

On the train that we were on from Vienna to Venice continuing to Rome, there was room for a small suitcase with us. The other luggage went in a stack in a public luggage area. Some who had packed valuables in their big bag were concerned. If you have black luggage, tacky it up with some colorful duct tape so no one grabs it by mistake.

Also include inside your luggage from the time you leave home, your itinerary and how to contact you in case your luggage is lost and the luggage tags torn off

Also you can put an extra name tag on a case of bottled water and/or a case of soda and check it with your bags when getting on the ship.

Speaking of embarkation, to any newbie reading this, I strongly recommend you get a passport.

If you don't want a passport, you can still cruise. For the time being, for closed-loop cruises, that depart/arrive in the same port, a birth certificate is sufficient.

It must be a certified copy issued by a government agency. A certificate from a hospital, or a baptism certificate from your church are no good. You will not be allowed to board and no refund will be given. This is not cruise line policy. It is the law. In the past, all states stamped a raised seal into the paper. Some, but not all states still do so. Just make sure that it came from the state or county where you were born.

Also, be aware the, should you need to leave the cruise early or miss the ship in a port of call, a BC is not sufficient to return home by air. You will get home, but you may be delayed. Do you really need that hassle?

Call your credit card company and let them know that you are traveling so they will not freeze your card. Ask them about any charges for foreign transactions. Some cards charge and some don't.

Get in touch with your cell phone provider, they may have special rates for international roaming, just in case you may want to use it in a port.

Mark down where you parked your car so you will be able to find it when the cruise is over and where you packed or put your keys. Now you just have to remember where that paper is. :D Also if parking at the port make sure that you have a full tank of gas to be able to drive home on. Went on a cruise out of FL and while gone there was a hurricane. The gas stations were all out of gas or had no power. Glad we had gas to drive far enough from the area.

Have special decals, ribbons, or luggage straps to make your luggage stand out and not be confused with all of the look a likes.

Put a hold on your mail and paper.

Don't get upset over the small stuff and be prepared to stand in lines.

Remember that a smile and cheery attitude really helps, the crew has feelings like everyone else deserve to be treated kindly.

You will always come across a few jerks and it is best to ignore them and laugh it off. Don't let a few bad moments ruin the whole cruise.

Book your excursions BEFORE the cruise. The desk to sign up for them is a zoo right after boarding.

Keep "ship's time" on your watch. Most ships do not change time when changing time zones.

The ship will LEAVE you. When the ship says it leaves at 5pm, it leaves, with or without you. Some exceptions are made if you were on a ship sponsored tour. But otherwise, if you miss the ship, YOU are responsible for getting to the next port.

In the unlikely event of an emergency that might happen while onshore, I do the following:

1. In the daily newsletter, there's a small box with info that says something to the effect of "Our representative in [insert port city here] is ...." I write down that information and take it with me. If I can't get back to the ship for some reason, the representative (which is NOT Celebrity) may be able to assist me in reaching Celebrity personnel. This may be a long shot, but better than no shot at all.

2. If I'm going to Europe, before leaving home, I compile a list of all of the embassies or consultates in the cities I'm visiting. So again, if I have an emergency, or if there's some sort of disaster, I'm prepared with this info.

All of this said, I've never had to PROVE that either of these work, but in an emergency, honestly, having some sort of information is more helpful than none.

Hi Everyone,

I am also going on my first cruise and was wondering when you have to get back to the ship at ports. For example, if the ship is scheduled to depart at 7pm when do we have to be on it (to be safe)?

Thanks,

Susannah

Hi Everyone,

I am also going on my first cruise and was wondering when you have to get back to the ship at ports. For example, if the ship is scheduled to depart at 7pm when do we have to be on it (to be safe)?

Thanks,

Susannah

That time will be provided in the daily news letter you get each evening. Also it's usually posted where you disembark.

In the unlikely event of an emergency that might happen while onshore, I do the following:

1. In the daily newsletter, there's a small box with info that says something to the effect of "Our representative in [insert port city here] is ...." I write down that information and take it with me. If I can't get back to the ship for some reason, the representative (which is NOT Celebrity) may be able to assist me in reaching Celebrity personnel. This may be a long shot, but better than no shot at all.

2. If I'm going to Europe, before leaving home, I compile a list of all of the embassies or consultates in the cities I'm visiting. So again, if I have an emergency, or if there's some sort of disaster, I'm prepared with this info.

All of this said, I've never had to PROVE that either of these work, but in an emergency, honestly, having some sort of information is more helpful than none.

That's good advice - but, take it a step further and just take a picture of that info. with your cell phone. You can expand it to read it if you need it while in port. ;)

Two years ago I took my daughters on there first cruise. I warned them multiple times about the ship leaving. So the first port is Key West. Thankfully we had cell service there. 15 minutes before we sailed I texted each daughter asking them if they were on board. I got a 2 word reply from my younger daughter. "Oh crap". Her and her best friend were still in the Hogs Breath Saloon. They had to make a mad dash down Front Street. Good thing Hogs breath isn't very far from the pier.

I always get a little evil grin from watching the late returners making the mad dash down the pier. This time it hit a little close to home. ;)

There is lots of room under your bed to store suit cases and bags.

Ginger pills are great way to calm a queasy tummy.

Irons are not allowed and can/will be confiscated. Use a travel steamer.

Take a highlighter and go over the activities for the next day on the daily update. I can't tell you how many times I missed a game or show because I forgot to mark it.

There is lots of room under your bed to store suit cases and bags.

Ginger pills are great way to calm a queasy tummy.

Irons are not allowed and can/will be confiscated. Use a travel steamer.

Take a highlighter and go over the activities for the next day on the daily update. I can't tell you how many times I missed a game or show because I forgot to mark it.

Travel steamers are forbidden on Celebrity too. Use Downy Wrinkle Release

If you'll be going on trains with your luggage, get something like this: http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=6206 and attach it to either: a.) the second piece of luggage you have or b.) a fixed post of any sort. While it won't withstand a heavy duty cutting device, it should be enough of a deterrent for a thief to leave your luggage behind when choosing which piece of luggage to steal.

When in ports - carry small denominations in cash. Every port I have been to accepts US cash, but some how never has any change. If you hand them a $50 and they say they will be right back with your change, you may never seen them again. Be able to give them exact change if possible.

It's rarely mentioned, but on most ships the MDR is available for breakfast and lunch also.

Don't buy your Drink of the day from the guy carrying around a big tray of them. They have been melting the entire time in hot sun. Make the effort to go to the bar. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Take a picture with your cell phone of the daily paper. You can expand it to see whatever part you want to read. This works especially well when going into port because the port agent is listed on that paper and you never know when you might need assistance.

Take a picture with your cell phone of the daily paper. You can expand it to see whatever part you want to read. This works especially well when going into port because the port agent is listed on that paper and you never know when you might need assistance.

That's actually a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Also the ships light for port is RED. The color of..Port wine!:cool:

Good points, I just remember all of the short words go together. Red Port

Left. and the long ones Green Right Starboard. This even works for a

simple table setting, forks left and knives right.

Great idea, I learn something every day!!!

Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this was mentioned before. Scan your passports and email the file to yourself. In case something bad happens, it will be easier to get a replacement.

-Bring highlighters, before going to sleep I like to check the next day daily and highlight any activities we will like to attend.

-Hook magnets are really useful.

-Last night of the cruise you have to leave your luggage outside your room. Remember to keep whatever you are going to wear the next day with you and if you are going to the airport don't keep anything that can't go through security.

-If flying from Europe to the US, you will do customs in the first US citizen you stop. You will have to go through passport control, pick your luggage, go through customs and then give your luggage to the airline company again for your next flight. This takes time!!! Don't book a short connection!!

Archived