Split or Dubrovnik?

We have not yet been to Split, but look forward to visiting there and several other key locations along this scenic coast in the future. Below is a link to get some added info and see many visuals on spectacular Dubrovnik. One key question for Dubrovnik will be when you visit there. It is very popular!! Good news, but it can be crowded there if you are on one of four or five large ships there in a single day. Weather can also be hot there at times during the peak summer period. We were fortunate on our mid June visit last year to be the only ship in port and have nice mid 70's weather with a nice breeze.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 10,500 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Below are just three of my pictures from this great town. Many more on the full thread.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

We LOVED Dubrovnik! I just typed up that section of our trip! I highly recommend it and finding the secret "Buza Bar" It took me 4 posts to complete that part of the trip because we loved it so much!

Scroll to post 163, that is the start. I have lots of video and photos!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=9

my report is not finished but the Dubrovnik part is :D

Thank you all for helping me decide. Dubrovnik it is!

Great, smart choice!! What date will you be there? Checking on the number of ships in port that day would be good in order to plan accordingly.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Now it is a matter of deciding between early June and early October. Generally cooler is better, but more daylight is good too.

Terry - from your review, it looks like you did a similar itinerary (start in Barcelona, go around Italy, Croatia, then back to Barcelona) in early June. How did you find the weather? I begin to melt at 80 degrees.

Chalupamoma, you really got me thinking with your question.

I am just back from an Adriatic itinerary on the Silhouette and we did both ports. (As to what time of year to go, we were there 21 and 22 September and the weather could not have been more perfect. Temps were around 75).

In some ways, I think you should've only asked those who have been to both Split and Dubrovnik to reply. It's very hard to suggest one port without having been to the other so you may have received replies that are in favour of a port only because the poster has not been to the other port.

For us, Split was the best surprise of the whole cruise. We had thought it is just not in the "league" of Dubrovnik, but it has so much to offer. It all depends what you are interested in. Dubrovnik is absolutely beautiful and the wall walk with our Guide was the highlight for us. The Old Town was lovely too, but VERY,VERY busy. It may be a good idea to try to find out how many ships will be in port the day you are there.

In Split, we went on a guided tour of Diocletian's palace. We had the most fantastic guide who made the history and life in Split "come alive" for us. (The palace is not a palace as you would imagine but a small city built in the 4th century AD. What began as Diocletian's residence and fortified camp developed into a maze of cobblestone streets. It makes you feel as if you have stepped back in history and gives you a glimpse of how life was in ancient times.)

After our time in the palace, we stopped for drinks at one of the cafe's overlooking the peninsula. It was so beautiful.

Some of the people in our RollCall went to Krka National Falls and loved that too.

It is a difficult choice: Dubrovnik is the "in place", but Split has lots to offer too. So to answer your question: No, you will definately not be disappointed with Split!

Now it is a matter of deciding between early June and early October. Generally cooler is better, but more daylight is good too. Terry - from your review, it looks like you did a similar itinerary (start in Barcelona, go around Italy, Croatia, then back to Barcelona) in early June. How did you find the weather? I begin to melt at 80 degrees.

For us in early to mid June last year, we had super wonderful and perfect weather in the Med. Mostly all in the 70's and sunny. No big crowd problems.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,743 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 83,023 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Due to weather, sadly the Grand Princess failed to dock in Dubrovnik last month however we had spent the day before in Split which we enjoyed far more than we expected we would. We certainly had no problem filling our day walking around in the old walled city, palace and it's lovely waterfront. However it has now given us an excuse to take a cruise next year that will hopefully stop in Dubrovnik.

Mercury, thank you for your post fr4om the bottom of my hearth!

Yes, Dubrovnik is beautiful, this is why I choose it 4 times for my weekend destination. I love Dubrovnik.

But I also feel very sad when I read these words about Split... you really don't know anything! Split (Spalato is the place where everything in this region begins - no, I'm wrong, it's in Ancient Salona, 7 kms far from Split (one minute walk from my home, I can wave you from my balcony if you visit). :)

Diocletian palace (which most of you think is a Split, I assure you is not, it's a second biggest city in Croatia, but you never go out of the walls of the palace and in your mind you think it's a small town),, well, Diocletian palace is the best preserved Roman Emire heritage in the world. You cannot find anything like this even in Rome. Why? because people NEVER left the palace! You can find some rennesaince or barroque influences inside, that's because people were living inside from the Roman times and still live inside! Today, thay follow instructions if they need to fix something of course, so no modern times influences anymore.

I don't know why is Split so neglected as a touristic destination, I believe it's maybe our fault. we allways wanted to keep Split for us, we never wanted it to become expensive and not reacheble to us, residents, who allways filled the streets and caffe chairs in Split. We never wanted that coffe cost 3 euros, it should be 50 cents as allways. We have so many stories that include our Riva (promenade) our squares, you couldn't imagine. Time flows very slowly for us, from Diocletian times till today, we can make stories. I even have recepies that are 1700 years old (I do make Roman sucryfising? bread, almost every sunday).

But I certainly think you need a guide in Split, who can make colorful pictures¸out of grey stones for you. There is a cheep guide in the Perystile, that can proved a 2 hour walking tour, and you will see Split with a different eyes.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, I didn't even bother to read what I've said, because otherwise I would probably errase everything.:D

besides this one simple diemma: Dubrovnik is a medieval town while Split is a ancient Roman city. Which part of history do you prefer? Do you have 5 other Roman or medieval sites during this cruise?

There are some peple who just want to go to the beach while in Split... even some people from Florida. I dont understand this - you have wanderfull beaches near your home, you came to the ancinent place that burst with hell of a interesting history and you simply go to the beach. :dunno

besides this one simple diemma: Dubrovnik is a medieval town while Split is a ancient Roman city.

Great point/difference on the medieval versus Roman architecture factors. Look forward to visiting Split and added cities/locations along this super scenic coast.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,814 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

terry. if you ever come to ancinet Salona, plesae have a coffe with me, at my

home which is less that 1 minute walk away. :) (you can see my windows where the bus drops you) :)

For the others, please be interested! Find some info, and you'll be like in some Dan Brown novel while in Split. Please, do not leave yourselve in state of just watching some old scenery, find a fascinatinting story behind it! Than you may find Split as a highliht of yo0ur trip. :)

In the end, i feel bad because this post may sound against Dubrovnik, which is not my attention because I really, really love Dubrovnik. Dobrovnik is a a symbol of liberty, very beautiful, but other peope told you about Dubrovnik beuaty. I just wanted to tell you about my fascinating city and it's histiry, before it became worlds red piont destinations. Split is the place that is just beeing discovered as a touristic destination, in a year or two, it will be crowdede just as Dubrovnik. So I think, if yolu wanted to vist still unspoieled attraction, than you coe quickly, because everyday is important.:)

I've just booked an Adriatric cruise for next April that visits both Split and Dubrovnik (as well as Zadar). I have to admit that I'm more looking forward to Split than Dubrovnik, as I'm very excited to try to trace the original Diocletian's Palace. I'm much more of an ancient history person, so Split offers more that I'm interested in. :)

terry. if you ever come to ancinet Salona, plesae have a coffe with me, at my home which is less that 1 minute walk away. :) (you can see my windows where the bus drops you)

Appreciate the kind offer. Will keep in mind. Getting back to this area will be a few years off. Have upcoming trips to Australia and New Zealand to do in early 2014, plus a few other places ahead on that to-do listing.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,814 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry, enjoy your trip down under. When you return, I hope you can explain to my child how com you didn't fell over? :lol I have good frineds and family there, so I enwy you! :D:)

Cute and fun question!!?? Had not thought about the "risk" when down there of falling over and/or off that end of the earth.

Archived