Whiny Reviews

BadKitteh

I too like the one about no trays in the buffet. I walk with a cane. It is hard to carry a plate, and a drink and walk with a cane.. so I go to MDR, or Blue lagoon and am waited on. Go figure :) Now my sister and I cruise together (4th cruise this year :) ) and we love it. We love the staff, most likely over tip, act like big shots. If we need a problem fixed, it is.

I like to read all the reviews...good and bad. I discount some of the gripes, like the lady that complained that her child was not allowed in the kids club because he was fighting with the other children. Apparently her vacation was ruined because she had to be responsible for her own child.

But....I also get upset when a reviewer gets bombarded with rude comments posted by people that I swear must be stockholders for the cruise lines.

I find extremely negative reviews very entertaining. There was one of the Jewel in 2009 that the author was very creative but very angry. The theme of the review was they were in prison instead of on a cruise. They kept refering to the food as "prison food." In one port they said they actually thought about flying home from the port so they could get something to eat. There was no edible food on the entire ship so to stay alive they would just eat bread.

It was one of the most entertaining reviews I ever read. I am getting ready for work so I dont have time to search for it now. Maybe later I can post a link to it.

I wonder if they were eating those wonderful pretzel rolls to stay alive :D. It is all perspective.

funny, I don't think I would ever base my future cruise plans on negative reviews. I have seen too many that were way over the top. I think the only time I would base my decision on a review might be if every single review has bad, but I have never seen that happen. I base my decisions on friends and family cause I know their personalities.

When I made the decision on what tour to buy going on a Russian river cruise, I researched several on cc. Initially, I was inclined to go with Viking. I discovered that Viking's member reviews for Russia have a large number of negative reviews, contrary to Viking's general good reviews elsewhere. Reviews, taken with other research can make a difference.

But....I also get upset when a reviewer gets bombarded with rude comments posted by people that I swear must be stockholders for the cruise lines.

I'd like to know where NCL stock is sold publicly.

I like reading all the defensive responses from the afficionados who won't believe that someone could possibly find a fault with their preferred cruise line.

I like reading all the defensive responses from the afficionados who won't believe that someone could possibly find a fault with their preferred cruise line.

I like reading double post's spread seven minutes apart. Really wanted to get your point across I see.

"I usually like reading reviews to get me excited about an upcoming trip or to give me ideas for others and these sticks in the mud are a real drag."

I agree with this statement. When you are getting ready to take a vacation, you really don't like hearing others subjective complaining.:rolleyes:

It has been MY experience that the people I cruise with make my trip so much more enjoyable. If there is a complainer I steer clear. I work too many hours to listen to gripes that week.

When I made the decision on what tour to buy going on a Russian river cruise, I researched several on cc. Initially, I was inclined to go with Viking. I discovered that Viking's member reviews for Russia have a large number of negative reviews, contrary to Viking's general good reviews elsewhere. Reviews, taken with other research can make a difference.

I agree. Sometimes you just can't ignore several negative posts regarding a specific ship.

If you read the HAL board at one point there was a ton of posts regarding the a/c and other issues on the Veendam.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

I'd like to know where NCL stock is sold publicly.

I like reading double post's spread seven minutes apart. Really wanted to get your point across I see.

I don't think I mentioned NCL exclusively, but thanks for making my point.

You prove my point

thanks for making my point

In both cases, I'm having trouble figuring out how the reply proves your point.

Unless your point was: it's all about me.

[PS - I neither own NCL--or any cruise line--stock nor have yet cruised on NCL. I'm here to learn what to expect on my upcoming first NCL cruise so that I can make the most of it. Hearing over-the-top complaints that every single thing was bad and I'm never coming back: that doesn't help.]

You prove my point

Your post had no point other than the use of a "big word" you spelled wrong.

I don't think I mentioned NCL exclusively, but thanks for making my point.

You're right you didn't, you indirectly classified all cruise lines as being publicly traded which they are not. When companies go public they then start to lose focus on what really got them there, the employees and customers. They start cutting costs here and there in order to have a bigger return and keep the shareholders happy which in turn will get the regular cruisers jumping ship (no pun intended).

It's the fact that your resources are endless when looking for a cruise, so when they come back griping about; trays, laundry, lifejackets, and specialty restaurants, I tend to have no pity. To classify a company and/or cruise as terrible because you didn't do your homework is like buying a base model Ford then getting mad because it's cloth interior instead of leather.

I love reading the CC reviews that are more like travel logs with pictures and casual commentary along the way. You never see a picture of food and a comment like "This is total slop". The food always looks good. People in the pictures always seem to be having fun and enjoying their vacation. Reviewers tend to be fair and balanced in their comments.

I also like to read about the condition of the ship. Plenty of ships seem to have systemic problems that people need to know about prior to booking (Dawn/Star and the spinnaker lounge causing problems with deck 8 suites). No one wants to book a room on a ship where the toilets, A/C, or engines have not worked for years.

The reviews that kill me are the ones that start with "I've taken 300 cruises on X-cruise line and NCL is nothing like X-cruise line". I don't think NCL advertises themselves as "NCL, exactly like every other cruise line". NCL seems to go out of their way to be innovators. If you want a new experience, NCL could be for you. If you want an experience that is exactly like some past non-NCL experience, you may be disappointed.

The fact that there are so many whiny posts about people whining is cracking me up. Why would a negative review make anyone angry? Wouldnt you just take it as a bad review and shrug it off. If you only want to hear great fun reviews, maybe Cruise Critic isnt the right board for you. If you see a review that has 1 star next to it, my suggestion is DONT READ IT.

I personally enjoy some of the nit picking negatives, gives me a chance to speak my first language......Sarcasm :D.

No trays in the buffet.....I suppose they missed the "ALL YOU CAN EAT" memo.

No laundry machines.....This cruise line is awful, how do they expect me to wear 4 different outfits on my 14 day repositioning cruise if they don't have a washer and dryer?

The food here is so bad it's unedible.....I'm sure you really have to choke it down, don't you?

We didn't see any whales on our whale watch.....Let me drive a bus full of people through your house, you better not run and hide!!!!

This cruise is so cold.......You didn't know? The cruise lines like to follow cold fronts to their destinations, less chair hogs that way.

This cruise line isn't as good as the other.....So you won't be back? Great!!

Glad to know that I am not the only one who enjoys sarcasm :D Some of my favorites:

"What do you mean I have to wait to get seated in the MDR" - Oh, I'm sorry, we'll just ask the other 2399 passengers to step aside to accomodate you.

"How come I have to wait 45-60 minutes for room service" - Really? First the MDR wait is too long and now you're complaining about room service too?

And it just goes on and on and on.

Is it just me, or is anyone else happy when they read a poor review and the person writing it decides they will likely not return to NCL? If you are upset by posted policies, deck plans or anything else that is publicized, then I do not feel one lick of pity. I am also tired of reviews where people blame nature for things like a rainy day, or no whales on a watching trip (because obviously the cruise line controls it ;)).

I know this has been said, but I usually like reading reviews to get me excited about an upcoming trip or to give me ideas for others and these sticks in the mud are a real drag. My only complaints on a cruise so far is listening to passengers gripe about petty things. On my cruise in January on the Epic, DH and I were in the hot tubs by the pool when a couple from Canada that were in the tub as well were complaining about how cold it was (the weather, not the tub) and they pretty much left after I pointed out that it had snowed the day prior back north so our paltry 70 degree weather surely couldn't be so terrible.

If I am on vacation, I kick back. :)

Not all reviews on here are going to get you excited because some people have bad experiences. This is Cruise Critic, a place to post opinions and that means the bad along with the good.

I agree that some people complain over what seems to others as stupid things but posters should not get attacked for posting an opinion. You are totally welcome to disagree with them ( I have been known to do that quite frequently :D)but these boards wouldn't work if they were limited to just good comments...what good would they be??

I do agree it's a bummer to listen to people complain while ON a ship and we will usually move away from these people and make it clear why we are doing so. As for the people from Canada, I would have had more sympathy for them. Having just moved from Maine, we had a couple Feb cruises that were on the cool side. When you live in the north and vacation to get into some real heat, it is quite disappointing when the weather doesn't cooperate. Of course we always made the best of it and would never sit and whine about it, but after experiencing this twice, learned to only do a southern route when traveling in Jan or Feb. This pretty much guarantees warm temps.

Now that I no longer live in Maine, I don't think I will need 90 degree days as bad...it's all a matter of perspective :)...and so is one's cruise experience.

I like reading all reviews and I can use my own judgment. I don't like the negative, saracastic, defensive responses from the NCL brand defenders. I love NCL, but every cruise line, cruise ship and cruise vacation has some negatives... and thankfully for us, mostly positives :)

I don't particularly like reading whiny reviews. And I hate reading where someone complains about something they would have known about with a little research. I hate even more when people state mis-truths, such as there being only 1 non fee restaurant, like the guy who thought there was only a buffet. Talk about not doing your homework.

I don't mind if people share their negatives especially when they are mixed with positives. Hate it when they use terms as unedible or disgusting. Order something else. You shouldn't starve on a cruise. Hate it when people short the crew. Find a way to avoid paying the DSC. This is the toughest kind to read.

I like to read the reviews on all kinds of cruise lines, and appreciate everybody who takes the time to write one, but has anyone else ever noticed that some NCL reviewers seem to be super critical dishing out the star ratings as compared to other lines?

For example, I have read so many one star NCL reviews (thinking now of one that said his NCL sailing was "the ship from hell") that when I see a review about a ship on another cruise line where a reviewer says that the food was terrible, the ship was dirty, and all kinds of negatives on and on, I figure they will give that ship a one star rating too. But nope - usually four stars. :rolleyes:

This seems to happen quite a bit and I can't figure our what's up with that? Why does it seem people are so generous on other lines with major flaws, but NCL can't catch a break? :confused:

Our cruise philosophy:

We had good :) days and we had :( not so good days, on the cruises we were fortunate to go on. But...whichever day it was, a good day :) or :( a not so good day, nothing beats a day, or one week, or two weeks on a cruise ship. Happy cruising days everyone! :D And above all, enjoy each and every cruising day with one another, and with your fellow cruise ship passengers!

I find extremely negative reviews very entertaining. There was one of the Jewel in 2009 that the author was very creative but very angry. The theme of the review was they were in prison instead of on a cruise. They kept refering to the food as "prison food." In one port they said they actually thought about flying home from the port so they could get something to eat. There was no edible food on the entire ship so to stay alive they would just eat bread.

It was one of the most entertaining reviews I ever read. I am getting ready for work so I dont have time to search for it now. Maybe later I can post a link to it.

That sounds hilarious. I would love to see it!

Archived