Carnival cruise out of Miami or FLL?

brenjmull2

Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale International Airport is an easier airport to navigate. Port Everglades is only a short ten minute ride. The Port of Miami is approximately thirty minutes away also. Carnival only has a few ships that leave from Port Everglades. Carnival Breeze, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Glory, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Imagination are a few of the ships that leave from the Port Of Miami. Depending on airfare, you can easily fly into Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and even West Palm Beach and get to either port. I've flown into all three airports and never had a problem. Most Cruise Critic members will advise you to fly in a day early if possible, spend one night in South Florida and then get to your ship the next day refreshed and ready to enjoy your vacation.

I prefer to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of reasons. SW flies there but not to Miami, and airfare to Miami is more expensive for me than FLL. Hotels also tend to be more expensive in Miami. The port and airport are close to one another in Ft. Lauderdale, and there are a lot of places to stay around both of them.

Roz

The good news it the ports are not too far from one another so you could fly into one airport and sail out of the other port.

I woud arrive a day before the cruise.

For many they find prices to be cheaper to Fort Lauderdale but Miami has the advantage of being a larger airport.

Either one is fine.

Keith

When you say shuttle, is it a limo, a van, a trolley, light rail, etc.? Please elaborate.

Roz

Most referring to shuttles are referring to shared rides in a van. These are available from SAS, QLS, as well as others. Rates are based on the number of people in your party, but usually $13-15 pp. These shuttles can be caught at FLL airport or local hotel to POM. They also can be used for the return from POM to FLL. There are of course other modes of transport to POM including limos, taxis, etc. but they usually cost a bit more.

http://www.ridesas.com/html/rates.html

http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

When you say shuttle, is it a limo, a van, a trolley, light rail, etc.? Please elaborate.

Roz

Oh, sorry. It is SAS Shuttles (SAS Transport?) that we take from FLL hotel to Miami port. I think they are 12-15 passenger vans, with space for luggage in back. Sometimes they pull a small trailer for luggage. About $13 pp one way.

Then they pick us up at port, at the end of the cruise, and take us back to FLL airport.

We do book both ways in advance, but if they have room, they also take walk-ups.

Thanks. We r also looking at the Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral. Now to just decde which itinerary we like the best. We are trying to decide between the Legend, freedom, or dream. We really wanted Princess but they don't have the dates we want. We want jan into feb some can do my bday and Super Bowl on the ship!! And we want a back to back. !! Ugh this thinking is giving me a headache.

Just as an aside, to me it seems like over the past few years, Carnival has been slowly moving from Port Everglades to the Port of Miami.

When looking for a cruise this year out of Fort Lauderdale, I was amazed that it seemed like the only choice was the Freedom.

Used to be a couple of different ships leaving from Fort Lauderdale, but I guess Fort Lauderdale is becoming the Royal Port and Miami is the Carnival Port.

Archived