Helicopter tour/glacier walk

tulsacubfan

You have 4 companies in Juneau and 1 in Skagway to choose from. ALL long standing offering excellent tours. I suggest you first decide what type of tour you want, then book where it fits in your overall schedule best. Be well prepared for back up plans, knowing what else at that port that would be of interest. Flights can and do get canceled.

A number of years ago we did the flight to the glacier where we could walk on it -- did it out of Juneau -- at that time we only had a couple of choices in companies.

But we felt it was well worth the money.

We loved it!!

There still, are only 4 companies, which have been in operation over many years- at least 14. Nobody new has come along. Who did you fly with?

Dizzy Dallas - that is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!

As an aside - the Rangers are my second favorite team (closest team to Tulsa and as you know we had the AA team for years).....sorry about this season. End really sucked!!!

Thank you for the kind words about my beloved Rangers. :) You may be interested to know that I grew up in Tulsa.....Edison and TU graduate. :D

Thanks! Will definitely look at them!

All of the 4 companies run excellent trips. In the past, one company has had significant discounts in one of the purchased coupon books. Very limited availablity, but way in advance better chances. I used this myself this year.

The new books come out next month.

• 1 month later...
All of the 4 companies run excellent trips. In the past, one company has had significant discounts in one of the purchased coupon books. Very limited availablity, but way in advance better chances. I used this myself this year.

The new books come out next month.

We were so disappointed that there were no coupons in either book for 2013! :(

When I go onto the Temsco website it says that they service the cruise lines and that if we are not on a ship to contact them, otherwise check with the cruise line. So - should I just book it through the cruise line? I was thinking the Pilot's Choice tour for Juneau but don't want to immediately jump from one excursion to the other....so I see that they have a tour in Skagway that is 40 minute flight time plus 40 minutes on the glacier (I think)....I'm thinking that would be nice. This would be through Celebrity - anyone have experiences with Celebrity in Skagway? Does everyone get a window seat?

When I go onto the Temsco website it says that they service the cruise lines and that if we are not on a ship to contact them, otherwise check with the cruise line. So - should I just book it through the cruise line? I was thinking the Pilot's Choice tour for Juneau but don't want to immediately jump from one excursion to the other....so I see that they have a tour in Skagway that is 40 minute flight time plus 40 minutes on the glacier (I think)....I'm thinking that would be nice. This would be through Celebrity - anyone have experiences with Celebrity in Skagway? Does everyone get a window seat?

I called TEMSCO and they gave me a direct booking even though we're on a cruise. Call.

The glacier excursions range from physically challenging to just a stroll on the ice. I went with Temsco in Skagway where we flew to Meade Glacier and walked around. It was a totally awesome experience! Here's a picture of us trekking on the glacier in the rain.

DSCN0791.jpg

Awesome picture! I hope during my glacier landing (Ruth glacier Mt. McKinley tour) we get to walk around a bit. (Mine is billed as a glacier landing--not a glacier trek).

Awesome picture! I hope during my glacier landing (Ruth glacier Mt. McKinley tour) we get to walk around a bit. (Mine is billed as a glacier landing--not a glacier trek).

There are big differences between a helicopter glacier landing, which has easy access to plenty of ice, and a ski plane which has to land on snow, and likely little if any access to "ice". 45 minutes is usually the longest landings, with ship contracted tours, having the shortest time, due to tighter schedules.

Yes TEMSCO (initials) does take direct bookings. Celebrity doesn't run any helicopter tours, they contract with TEMSCO out of Skagway. You do get transportation with the ship tour, that you do NOT get booking direct. BUT- is able bodied, easy walk to TEMSCO.

The farthest distance would be on the second dock space on the RR dock. Closest would be from the Ore Dock. http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

SMART bus is available, with time allowances.

Archived