Clearing Customs Questions when arriving

MSEm

It is very confusing! I do appreciate the great explanation, however. It makes sense.

A number of years ago (2002) we flew through Munich to Naples. We had a perfunctory check of our passports in Munich as we went through the guinea pig maze and were considered in transit, so no security rescreening. When we arrived in Naples, we had no checks whatsoever (passports, customs). In fact, the smiling immigration officials opened the door for us to waltz right out of the airport! Pretty funny!

In August we flew to Athens via Munich for our Black Sea cruise on Regatta.

In Munich we did have to go through passport control. But when we got to Athens, nothing at all ... we just collected our luggage and left the airport.

We're still puzzling about that ...

Last October we arrived at Charles de Gaulle and switched to a flight to Rome. Had to go through passport control in both airports ...

Mura

In August we flew to Athens via Munich for our Black Sea cruise on Regatta.

In Munich we did have to go through passport control. But when we got to Athens, nothing at all ... we just collected our luggage and left the airport.

We're still puzzling about that ...

Last October we arrived at Charles de Gaulle and switched to a flight to Rome. Had to go through passport control in both airports ...

Mura

408__275x300_european_union_map_flag.gif

The EU has not quite defined what constitutes a "domestic flight" within their borders yet.

We've experienced similar contradictions vis-à-vis their Duty Free regulations.

Perhaps someone had an inkling that Greece and Spain would not be able to make a go of it? :rolleyes:

Time will tell.

I would be extremely reluctant to have delta tag my bag for Venice knowing that it would be on an AZ domestic flight from Rome to Venice. Alitalia is not the world's most efficient airline (and I don't suppose delta is either...) and I like my bags to arrive when I do.

On arrival in Rome from the US you will have to enter Schengen. This can take time in an Immigration queue. Which should give your bag time to make it onto the carrousel. If I were you I would pick it (them) up and go and check them in for the Venice flight. No problem for you getting a boarding card from Delta for that flight if it is a code share...so all you need to do is take it to the baggage drop. At least then you know you have a good chance of seeing it at Marco Polo when you get there!!

Archived