Sydney - Sheraton on the Park or Hilton

seafood

Which hotel would you prefer and why? I've checked the reviews on Trip Advisor and am leaning toward the Hilton. There is not much difference in the price for both. We would need the hotel for one night pre-cruise in December. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Which hotel would you prefer and why? I've checked the reviews on Trip Advisor and am leaning toward the Hilton. There is not much difference in the price for both. We would need the hotel for one night pre-cruise in December. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

We are booked for the Hilton after our cruise in March. The Hilton is across the street from the QVB.

Any real comment must be subjective and viewed as such.;)

I have stayed in both and found the S.O.P. to be the better one - esp since the Hilton is much older.- and honestly - I like all the Sheratons I have stayed in all over the world.:rolleyes:

A final point - the Sheratons in Australia - are famous for their SEAFOOD buffets in the evening (every evening) - and in view of your avatur name - might be the clincher in your choice - not forgetting the view across the park and its CBD position.:)

PS --- there is also a smaller Sheraton on the water at Darling harbour - a little older ( and cheaper) - but a good SF buffet and positioned with a little more going on around the Darling Harbour.

If it should happen that you are sailing from harbour No 5 - this Sheraton is very close

May I suggest you Google satellite map all three hotels - and take a view of where they are. :cool:

Thanks for the responses.

I used google maps to see the street view of each hotel. I actually like the Hilton area better, and i like the pictures (posters' pictures on TripAdvisor) of the interior of the Hilton better. However, a seafood buffet every evening at the Sheraton definitely puts a twists in things as I really do love seafood.

I'll keep both reservations and make a decision soon. I would love to hear more responses.

Oh, I checked the Westin and while it does look beautiful, it's a little out of our price range.

We've stayed at Sheraton on the Park and enjoyed - lovely hotel and its really nice being on the park and close to Oxford Street and Darlinghurst which are interesting areas of Sydney to explore. However, this hotel is kind of out of the way a little bit.

We've not stayed in the Hilton so can't really compare hotels but this one is really in the thick of it. The Glass Brassiere in the Hilton is a fabulous restaurant and was awarded a one hat rating this year.

Its more a choice about location than hotels in this case I would think as both hotels should be really nice. My personal preference would be SOP - just because I don't mind walking and I like a slightly quieter area - but that's just me. :)

We've stayed at Sheraton on the Park and enjoyed - lovely hotel and its really nice being on the park and close to Oxford Street and Darlinghurst which are interesting areas of Sydney to explore. However, this hotel is kind of out of the way a little bit.

We've not stayed in the Hilton so can't really compare hotels but this one is really in the thick of it. The Glass Brassiere in the Hilton is a fabulous restaurant and was awarded a one hat rating this year.

Its more a choice about location than hotels in this case I would think as both hotels should be really nice. My personal preference would be SOP - just because I don't mind walking and I like a slightly quieter area - but that's just me. :)

Tbh...I think you are all splitting hairs here.

The SOP is what...one block from the Pitt st mall which is the heart of Sydney's retail area( and the same from the Sydney tower). And Australian blocks are nt like US ones...we are talking all of 300 metres. The Hilton is what...half a block from that same Pitt street mall ( mall in this case being a pedestrianised street) which holds the major shops and department stores. In fact the SOP is virtually next door to both the stores of the up market David Jones ( although I think the OP is prolly going to do more than shop). But my point is...the difference is virtually.....nil. Your talking..unless your disabled or have a movement issue - 10 minutes walk apart. It's not like we are comparing a CBD hotel with one 3 klms away.

So OP...have a look at the reviewers pics of each hotel. I think the Hilton was renovated about 3-4 years ago. Hilton is more minimalist whereas the SOP is more earthen tones and woody/clubby if that makes sense. And go with what hits your wallet and your heart...

Thanks for the responses.

I used google maps to see the street view of each hotel. I actually like the Hilton area better, and i like the pictures (posters' pictures on TripAdvisor) of the interior of the Hilton better. However, a seafood buffet every evening at the Sheraton definitely puts a twists in things as I really do love seafood.

I'll keep both reservations and make a decision soon. I would love to hear more responses.

Oh, I checked the Westin and while it does look beautiful, it's a little out of our price range.

What are your dates of travel as I spoke to the Westin last week and they have a deal of $199 for 2 inc breakfast for dates in December.

I just looked at the website and it is $221 for a night with breakfast. These rates are inclusive of tax. Extremely good price for a 5 star hotel in Sydney.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1183

Absolutely love Sheraton on the Park.

Location on the park (short walk across to the beautiful cathedral)

on the free city circular bus route

close to major department stores, like David Jones

rooftop pool

then there is the hotel itself!

What are your dates of travel as I spoke to the Westin last week and they have a deal of $199 for 2 inc breakfast for dates in December.

I just looked at the website and it is $221 for a night with breakfast. These rates are inclusive of tax. Extremely good price for a 5 star hotel in Sydney.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1183

The $221 price is a nonrefundable price. We try to stay away from those. We would love to stay at the Westin as it does look gorgeous, but we don't want to spend $300 a night.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Tbh...I think you are all splitting hairs here.

The SOP is what...one block from the Pitt st mall which is the heart of Sydney's retail area( and the same from the Sydney tower). And Australian blocks are nt like US ones...we are talking all of 300 metres. The Hilton is what...half a block from that same Pitt street mall ( mall in this case being a pedestrianised street) which holds the major shops and department stores. In fact the SOP is virtually next door to both the stores of the up market David Jones ( although I think the OP is prolly going to do more than shop). But my point is...the difference is virtually.....nil. Your talking..unless your disabled or have a movement issue - 10 minutes walk apart. It's not like we are comparing a CBD hotel with one 3 klms away.

So OP...have a look at the reviewers pics of each hotel. I think the Hilton was renovated about 3-4 years ago. Hilton is more minimalist whereas the SOP is more earthen tones and woody/clubby if that makes sense. And go with what hits your wallet and your heart...

Possibly you are right about splitting hairs. When I compared hotel locations I wasn't really thinking about the shopping aspect (I'm not a shopper) I was thinking more about night life, and distance from other tourist spots like Darling Harbour and The Rocks.....in these instances the SOP is a little more out of the way....although you are correct in stating that it is not that significant.

I personally prefer SOP with Hyde Park across the road and St Mary's Cathedral as a view - much quieter, rather than being in the middle of the city in amongst all the movie theatres, noisy traffic and fast food places (and drinking venues) where all the young people hang out at night. This is mainly the comparison I was trying to make - and this is how I see the hotels differing greatly. In reality one four or five star hotel in one city is pretty much the same as another four of five star hotel in a different city. It is the the location that can make the difference....even if they are only 10 minutes walk apart.

For cruisers planning to stay in Sydney for three nights or more, Sheraton is having a sale until 14th November for stays until 31st January, stay 3 nights pay for 2 for $587Aus.

Otherwise stay at standard rates with breakfast for 95 cents for 2!

sheraton75.com

• 2 weeks later...

We will be needing a 2 night stay for March 17- 19, 2014, then upon our return an additional 9 nights before our Transpacific. Friends have stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, but I am having trouble getting them to repsond back regarding a group rate. Granted it is probably early but still appreciate a reply. We could have a possible 30 reserv.

We will be needing a 2 night stay for March 17- 19, 2014, then upon our return an additional 9 nights before our Transpacific. Friends have stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, but I am having trouble getting them to repsond back regarding a group rate. Granted it is probably early but still appreciate a reply. We could have a possible 30 reserv.

I'm sure one could spend a lot of time in Sydney, but 11 nights total is a LONG visit! Are there no other places in Australia you care to visit between cruises?

Nancy, we plan on using Sydney as our base and travel. We have a cruise, March 19 thru April 1, so only need a 2 night stay ( March 17 to 19), then our cruise ends April 1, 2014 so we will need an additinal 9 night whereby we will do our major sight seeing from Sydney. This is our first trip, so not familiar with all the places within a couple days of Sydney. We won't be able to do any extensive traveling so wish to stay within a day or two of Sydney should we decide to spend a night or two.

Gay

Nancy, we plan on using Sydney as our base and travel. We have a cruise, March 19 thru April 1, so only need a 2 night stay ( March 17 to 19), then our cruise ends April 1, 2014 so we will need an additinal 9 night whereby we will do our major sight seeing from Sydney. This is our first trip, so not familiar with all the places within a couple days of Sydney. We won't be able to do any extensive traveling so wish to stay within a day or two of Sydney should we decide to spend a night or two.

Gay

As you are going to use Sydney for your base and visit other areas, have you considered booking apartments? There are quite a few serviced apartments in Sydney which would offer a good rate. As you may be a big group, it may be worth contacting some to see what is available and what they can offer.

Evening Aussie, right now the majority of our Roll Call are planning their travels prior to our April 10th Syd to Honolulu so don't have exact dates yet, where as we do. I have looked at the Apartments and if we were only booking for ourselves, then no problem, but I offered to assume the duties of getting the Hotel for our RC after the original couple moved over to the Panama cruise and felt since we will already be there it would be easier for me to do. I tend to try and assume to much on our RC's.:) Besides keeping the RC I guess I didn't have enough to do.:D

My List right now and favorite of those who have been to Sydney, are the HI Old Sydney, Mercure, Swissotel Hotel. The HI Old Sydney got back to me on group rates, but I guess April is high season for you as they were much higher then what the lady got in January who left our cruise.

Gay

Gay, are you on the Rhapsody to Honolulu? We are on the Radiance leaving on Apr. 9th. and looking for two hotel rooms. If two more in your group would be of any help rate wise, they we may be interested in

joining your group for the hote.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, we will be first sailing from March 19 to April 1st, 2014, 13 days NZ on the ROS, then reboard the ROS April 10th, 2014 back to Honolulu. This is for 2014, not 2013. Hotels I have been looking at in Sydney, based upon some of our previous Aust cruisers, are the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, Vibe Hotel, if you need more of a budget hotel then the Travelodge on Phillips, the Swissotel Hotel.Most are going to be in the low $200 to mid $200 range some even higher. What dates are they sailing and who are they.

I do a google search to see what their location looks like by dropping the little guy down unto the street to get a street view.

Hotels:

http://www.vibehotels.com.au/hotels/new-south-wales/sydney/cbd/vibe-sydney

http://www.travelodge.com.au/travelodge-wynyard-sydney-hotel/hotel-images

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/sydney/sydgs/hoteldetail?sicreative=25166690139&sicontent=0&sitrackingid=260268565&siclientid=4660

Gay

Archived