Carnival Spirit's arrival in Sydney...

I was talking to the deputy cruise director this morning and apparently there will be a big handover ceremony of sorts when the Spirit arrives in Sydney. They've been sprucing the ship up because apparently quite a few Carnival big wigs are coming from the U.S. for it. And if you're heading down to Circular Quay, pay attention to the funnel. They'll have something attached to it (I know what it is but don't wanna ruin the surprise) to celebrate the occasion.;)

I was talking to the deputy cruise director this morning and apparently there will be a big handover ceremony of sorts when the Spirit arrives in Sydney. They've been sprucing the ship up because apparently quite a few Carnival big wigs are coming from the U.S. for it. And if you're heading down to Circular Quay, pay attention to the funnel. They'll have something attached to it (I know what it is but don't wanna ruin the surprise) to celebrate the occasion.;)

Please please please don't let it be a boxing kangaroo or a koala. I think I would faint from the cliche of it all.....

I am going to be in Sydney to get photos of it the day it comes in and will stay into the night to get some night shots as well. I hope whatever is on the funnel wont ruin the look of it. Last time I photographed Oriana it had a stupid moustach painted on its front when it arrived in November 2010. I will be spending a bit of time in Sydney getting photos of all the upcoming visits.

The 'stupid moustache' was only added for 'Movember' a very worthwhile charity event.

OVERVIEW OF MOVEMBER

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces in Australia and around the world. The aim of which is to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and male mental health.

The 'stupid moustache' was only added for 'Movember' a very worthwhile charity event.

OVERVIEW OF MOVEMBER

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces in Australia and around the world. The aim of which is to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and male mental health.

Well they would have been better off donating the cost of the paint to the charity involved. Besides it was painted off in Brisbane anyway so seemed really pointless anyway. I have had cancer so I know what it is like. I am the type that talks the talk and walks the walk. If you are going to donate to something then do it, you dont need to show off by wearing a badge.

That being said I am looking forward to the Spirit arriva. Not sure if I will be there in time to see it arrive but will certainly be spending the day and night nearby.

Well they would have been better off donating the cost of the paint to the charity involved. Besides it was painted off in Brisbane anyway so seemed really pointless anyway. I have had cancer so I know what it is like. I am the type that talks the talk and walks the walk. If you are going to donate to something then do it, you dont need to show off by wearing a badge.

That being said I am looking forward to the Spirit arriva. Not sure if I will be there in time to see it arrive but will certainly be spending the day and night nearby.

I look forward each year to Movember - especially when my son posts his photo WITHOUT moustache. I sponsor him, as do others to grow a moustache and any publicity for this charity, especially high profile and fun, is a good thing.

I did not think the Love Heart ruined my photos of the QE2 in February.

I know! Its a funnel painting of "Uncle Sam" smoking a BIG BIG Cuban Cigar and rubbing his hands together at the thought of how much he can screw out of us OZ/NZ cruisers in the name of Australasianization, Its want we want for our own good dont you know!:D:D:D

Den

Carnival AU has reached out to us to let you know that they'd love to see a great group of Cruise Critic members down at the pier on Wed. Think the ship is due in around 9 a.m. or so.

Would also love to get some photos -- if you can, send us a shot or two at editor@cruisecritic.com. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Carnival AU has reached out to us to let you know that they'd love to see a great group of Cruise Critic members down at the pier on Wed. Think the ship is due in around 9 a.m. or so.

Would also love to get some photos -- if you can, send us a shot or two at editor@cruisecritic.com. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I can get photos but there will probably be lots of others doing the same. Circular Quay is a great vantage spot so you can expect to see lots of photos like this. I will be staying the night too for this occasion. I snap all the ships coming into Sydney on visits.

291084_10150331761774037_2131360629_o.jpg

331947_10150457238529037_163203502_o.jpg

414046_10150457239744037_853878311_o.jpg

337817_10150410016309037_1215563380_o.jpg

Seems late then.

They're normally earlier than that, and going by the booking it was for an earlier arrival.

P&O Australia...whoops Carnival Australia.....

will be milking Spirits arrival for as much media coverage as it can get..

Whats the best time to get her live from a helicopter on breakfast TV?

All four free to air 'Parent ' Oz channels 7,9,2 and 10 have breakfast programs starting at 6 am. 7 and 9 start at 5.30 with news. It is possible that one of the breakfast programs will station their weather reporter at the quay for live crosses and humorous interludes. Carnival on facebook are inviting everyone to the quay for a celebration starting at 8.30 am after she berths. Try googling.Sunrise @ chanel 7 , Today @ chanel 9 , breakfast @ chanel 10 or ABC news breakfast @ Chanel 2 - and look for live streaming. None are foreshadowing coverage as a big item at this stage.

Agreed, better to show her sailing in the Harbour and arriving, then just sitting at the Quay.

The media coverage if any should be interesting. It is not exactly the biggest ship to come to Sydney and is probaby not the best rated one to be based here. I know Carnival is kind of the parent company but Australians have seen allot of great ships in the past. There is nothing really special about this one that warrants special mention on the news. It is kind of like the Rhapsody of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas coming here. On the other hand I can see Voyager of the Seas getting a media mention. QM2 always gets a mention. Star Princess got a mention back in 2003 as did the Sapphire Princess in 2004/05 yet after that these giants didnt even get a second look from the media.

I am going to Sydney to see it. I have booked a hotel room especially for the ocasion to get night photos and intend to make a day out of it myself and catch up with some people. It has my interest. However I am sceptical that the media will be interested in picking it up.

Archived