Seward to Anchorage train/check bags

Radioguyaz

I see a lot of posts about catching the train to Seward to catch the ship. However, I will be catching the train from Seward to Anchorage at the end of my cruise. Where does that train let me off at? And what are the suggestions on what to do when I get Anchorage.. I have a hotel for the night but have not planned to rent a car.

What's the rush to get to Anchorage if you have a hotel there for the night?

You would probably find a lot more interesting things to do in Seward, or on the way from Seward to Anchorage, if you wait for later in the day to arrive in Anchorage.

What's the rush to get to Anchorage if you have a hotel there for the night?

You would probably find a lot more interesting things to do in Seward, or on the way from Seward to Anchorage, if you wait for later in the day to arrive in Anchorage.

I booked the transfer to Anchorage through RCCL so I am assuming it is the early train? When I booked the train I was trying to fly out the same day, however there were no flights available that fit our itenerary, so we got a hotel and will fly out Saturday morning. Is there an option to take the late train and if so will the train people hold our bags until that late?

I booked the transfer to Anchorage through RCCL so I am assuming it is the early train? When I booked the train I was trying to fly out the same day, however there were no flights available that fit our itenerary, so we got a hotel and will fly out Saturday morning. Is there an option to take the late train and if so will the train people hold our bags until that late?

Cancel the RCI transfer, and take advantage of Seward. The regular run of the Alaska RR leaves at 6pm and goes to the downtown depot. from there take a cab to your hotel, which I would recommend be at the airport. Simple.

The Seward depot, will accept your bags from about 9am. You will have NO access to them until you get to Anchorage, keep that in mind. I always do Kenai Fjords boat tours, and those vendors will also store bags, if needed.

I suggest you find out what is available in Seward, and make some good choices to take advantage of your time. This post is a gem. :)

• 1 month later...

This is a basic question since why would Seward, AK be any different than any other port in the world re: the availability of taxis or other public transportation at the ships terminal? Can anyone comment on the availability of taxis?

Our plans upon disembarking in Seward is to taxi to the train terminal and check our bags. We will likely take one of the Kenai Fjords tours for the bulk of our time in Seward and then arrive at the train for the journey to Anchorage. Does this sound reasonable?

This is a basic question since why would Seward, AK be any different than any other port in the world re: the availability of taxis or other public transportation at the ships terminal? Can anyone comment on the availability of taxis?

Our plans upon disembarking in Seward is to taxi to the train terminal and check our bags. We will likely take one of the Kenai Fjords tours for the bulk of our time in Seward and then arrive at the train for the journey to Anchorage. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, it sounds "reasonable. The Seward depot is usually open at 9am. You will NOT have any access to checked bags until Anchorage.

A cab should only be a few dollars from the ship to depot. IF you pack light it is walkable.

It is then walkable to the Kenai Fjords boat tours.

The boat tours, do usually also have shuttle buses available.

Yes, it sounds "reasonable. The Seward depot is usually open at 9am. You will NOT have any access to checked bags until Anchorage.

A cab should only be a few dollars from the ship to depot. IF you pack light it is walkable.

It is then walkable to the Kenai Fjords boat tours.

The boat tours, do usually also have shuttle buses available.

Thanks much! Did I also understand you to say (in another post) that the Fjords tour people can also store your bags? Not sure we will need that option but trying to get smart on just what we can do.

Also, you didn't comment specifically but I assume that the availability of taxis at the ship terminal is reasonable?

Thanks again.

Thanks much! Did I also understand you to say (in another post) that the Fjords tour people can also store your bags? Not sure we will need that option but trying to get smart on just what we can do.

Also, you didn't comment specifically but I assume that the availability of taxis at the ship terminal is reasonable?

Thanks again.

Yes the vendors do store bags, but, it is WAY better to check your bags in the morning, if taking the train- and be rid of them. :) It's usually a made scramble after a Kenai fjords boat tour, to get your tickets- you do have to show id, and then check your bag, find your seat etc. I usually want a quick stop at the Subway, to bring on the train. :)

Yes there should be only short waits for taxis.

Pros & Cons of opting to take the early cruise contracted train (7:00am) from Seward to Anchorage and then spending my time in Anchorage...What is there to do there for a day or two (will rent a car) not interested in museums...I am more interested in Anchorage than Seward or will I be missing a "must" see in Seward?

Pros & Cons of opting to take the early cruise contracted train (7:00am) from Seward to Anchorage and then spending my time in Anchorage...What is there to do there for a day or two (will rent a car) not interested in museums...I am more interested in Anchorage than Seward or will I be missing a "must" see in Seward?

There could be "musts" for anywhere in Alaska, depending on you. :) For me, absolutely is a "must" in Seward a Kenai fjords boat trip, usually more than once. :)

Take some time and read about each city and what they offer. Head to your library for a few Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially detailed.

http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com

If you just took the regular run of the Alaska RR, you could have a look at each area, if you have two days. Maybe a good compromise? The cruise contracted train is usually about 25% more.

Yes the vendors do store bags, but, it is WAY better to check your bags in the morning, if taking the train- and be rid of them. :) It's usually a made scramble after a Kenai fjords boat tour, to get your tickets- you do have to show id, and then check your bag, find your seat etc. I usually want a quick stop at the Subway, to bring on the train. :)

Yes there should be only short waits for taxis.

I take it it is reasonable to disembark the Kenai Fjords tour at 5:30 pm and still make the 6 pm train to Anchorage right? After we drop our bags at the train station in the morning can we walk to Subway and bring that on the tour? I am thinking after eating all that food on the cruise we might not want a big Prime Rib meal they are serving onboard.

I take it it is reasonable to disembark the Kenai Fjords tour at 5:30 pm and still make the 6 pm train to Anchorage right? After we drop our bags at the train station in the morning can we walk to Subway and bring that on the tour? I am thinking after eating all that food on the cruise we might not want a big Prime Rib meal they are serving onboard.

Yes, to all questions. Except, the Copper River salmon is just excellent, and the prime rib- well- prime. :) I never miss it, even when I go out on successive days.

Just be prepared for a more costly "Subway".

Archived