Anyone tried LuggageFree?

boerneDQ

We are thinking of shipping luggage to Cape Town for the beginning of the cruise. We are taking Oceania's pre-cruise tour to Victoria Falls/Chobe. Because the luggage will weigh too much, we have to store the bags at a location in/near the JNB airport. It does not indicate the exact location other than saying the JNB airport. As many times we have had items removed from checked luggage just in the U.S., I am not really excited of the prospect of all our items sitting in some storage in a foreign country.

I had a few questions about the service:

1. When we ship the luggage, do we place the Oceania cabin tags onto the luggage before it leaves our home?

2. Should the luggage be locked? I saw a suggestion to include name, address, phone number, passport info inside the luggage.

3. How far in advance do you normally ship the luggage from your departure date?

4. Is the luggage delivered to our cabin or do we claim it at the dock before getting on board?

We have used them successfully for domestic. We were flying from Portland to NY but spending several days in NY before boarding a 25 day cruise. We didn't want to schlep our luggage all around NY. We were happy with their service. Yes, we put our Oceania tags on and our bags were waiting for us at our stateroom. Well worth it for domestic. For international it gets pricey.

The price is based on how far in advance you are shipping your luggage and also by weight.

We are thinking of shipping luggage to Cape Town for the beginning of the cruise. We are taking Oceania's pre-cruise tour to Victoria Falls/Chobe. Because the luggage will weigh too much, we have to store the bags at a location in/near the JNB airport. It does not indicate the exact location other than saying the JNB airport. As many times we have had items removed from checked luggage just in the U.S., I am not really excited of the prospect of all our items sitting in some storage in a foreign country.

I had a few questions about the service:

1. When we ship the luggage, do we place the Oceania cabin tags onto the luggage before it leaves our home?

2. Should the luggage be locked? I saw a suggestion to include name, address, phone number, passport info inside the luggage.

3. How far in advance do you normally ship the luggage from your departure date?

4. Is the luggage delivered to our cabin or do we claim it at the dock before getting on board?

1) Yes you put the tags on before you send it..

2) I lock my luggage with TSA locks and have my name on the outside tag..

3) They tell you when they will pick it up its usually a week to 10 days before you leave (and it feels great to know you are through packing)

4) It is delivered to your cabin still wrapped in the cellaphane it was sent in..

Because my husband can no longer deal with the luggage (lifting etc.) this is the only way we deal with luggage now..and I find it a blessing!!

Jancruz1

As I recall some countries I think New Zealand and Australia do not allow the shipping of personal effects/luggage which not accompanied by the owner

I've shipped to Australia twice and did not face any kind of problems. These were for Crystal cruises.

I've used Luggage Concierge for 10 years and have had no problems. I'd like to know what problems others have experienced.

If shipping internationally you have to fill out Customs forms with a list of the contents of each bag and saying they are clothing for your use only. This list is put in a bag that's attached to the luggage. I also put a copy of that list inside the luggage, along with my name and phone number.

Edited by kitty9