Anyone tried LuggageFree?

boerneDQ

I noticed the full page add in the latest O Your World and thought it might be a good service especially if we have tight connections returning from Europe to the US. Has anyone used it? What was your experience?

Thanks,

Charlotte

I noticed the full page add in the latest O Your World and thought it might be a good service especially if we have tight connections returning from Europe to the US. Has anyone used it? What was your experience?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Expensive but I felt well worth it..but I seem to be in the minority..I would do it again in a minute!!

Jancruz1

Thanks,

Charlotte

Ask them for a quote based on the bags that you will realistically be taking on the trip.......you may decide to put a niece or nephew through a semester at Harvard instead. :p

We are also thinking of using them for our trip to Hong Kong in March.

We used another company last year which was more expensive, and most of my belongings were missing when I opened my bag in Hong Kong. I was left with just enough clothing to get by, but all my shoes were missing!

Edited by dlouise

Ask them for a quote based on the bags that you will realistically be taking on the trip.......you may decide to put a niece or nephew through a semester at Harvard instead. :p

LOL. Last year, or maybe earlier this year, I posted on a thread on the same topic that one of these types of services wanted like $1200 to ship 2 suitcases from a hotel in Europe to our home in CA, and I decided not to do it....

OP - let us know what you decide to do.

Maybe dumb question, but why do you care when your luggage arrives when you are on your way home? I care when I am leaving for the cruise? :p Couldn't resist the question.

You didn't ask this of me :). but i have an answer for you.

Certain members of the Traveler916 family do not like having her possessions out of her sight, so to speak, when traveling. Me? I have enough socks, underwear and shirts that it doesn't matter to me if my clothes come a few days later than me. DW has enough clothes as well, but you never know when you will need that one particular piece of clothing that is still on its way home...so to speak. I am sure you get my drift :)

We have used both Luggage Forward and Luggage Free. Luggage Forward only operates with Holland America and Crystal I believe. In any case we prefer Luggage free both in the US and Internationally...As to cost, they are equal in my experience when identical shipping methods and level of service are requested. There are many different levels of service available at Luggage Free. We each ship 1 folding garment bag with a weight of 42 - 50 Lbs....We each take a wheeled carry on also....At our age (80), this makes it so much easier traveling that the cost is well worth it. Our last cruise was San Francisco to New York in September and the cost for both bags was $248 each way. Over seas is another matter due mainly to customs clearance. In July we shipped our 2 large bags to Stockholm and back home from Copenhagen...It was $750 each way....Also, I always notate the FedEx tracking number in order to follow my bags progress...Glad to answer any questions posed to me....Rob.:)

Edited by AWED23

I think the service Crystal suggests is Luggage Concierge.
:o You are 100% correct. Holland America uses them also. We used them to ship luggage home from Africa in 2008 and had a problem so we have used Luggage Free since that time. Thank You for the correction...Rob

• 1 year later...

We are thinking of using the Luggage Free service in May. Can anyone who has used this service to have their luggage shipped home from the ship, be able to please advise the process of the Luggage Free company collecting the luggage. Do they collect from us or can it be arranged with Oceania direct. Many thanks.

We are thinking of using the Luggage Free service in May. Can anyone who has used this service to have their luggage shipped home from the ship, be able to please advise the process of the Luggage Free company collecting the luggage. Do they collect from us or can it be arranged with Oceania direct. Many thanks.

As I recall some countries I think New Zealand and Australia do not allow the shipping of personal effects/luggage which not accompanied by the owner.

I think the gulf states are also in the mix...

In addition to the shipping will be a customs agent fee and customs and possible duty in the country it is going to...

There may be what is called a entry bond necessary. I used to ship extensively all sorts of stuff from USa to Asia and Europe.

Almost cheaper buy all your stuff at the port and then dump it on return

We could take an extra person just to carry luggage for those prices.:D

Edited by orchestrapal

As I recall some countries I think New Zealand and Australia do not allow the shipping of personal effects/luggage which not accompanied by the owner.

I think the gulf states are also in the mix...

Thank you Hawaiidan ^

I thought I would also email them, to check if regulations were still in place here in Australia that prohibit us to utilise their service:-

Exert from their reply:-

.....Thank you for your email. We are certainly able to assist you with shipping from Australia to the United States, as we have found a way to work with the customs regulations in place in Australia.

The pricing is as follows:

From Australia to the United States

Pick up fee: $50.00

Luggage: $6.95 / LB

A 44 LB (20 KG) piece of luggage for example would cost approximately $355.80

(Final rates are based on actual weights and dimensions verified during the shipment process. Billing weight is generated by the greater of the actual weight OR dimensional weight of each piece.)

- The shipment includes door to door delivery; our agent will retrieve the shipment, wrap it in a protective plastic and clear customs on your behalf.

- We offer $1000 complimentary insurance, however you may purchase additional insurance for $19.95 per $1000.00

- Transit time is approximately 7 Business Days.

As part of our international service we will be clearing customs on your behalf.

To facilitate this, we need the following documentation from you at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled retrieval:

∙ A clear copy of your passport (picture page only)

∙ A copy of your flight itinerary

∙ An itemized list of the contents (estimates are fine, i.e. 4 shirts, 2 pants, 3 pair of shoes)....

As we will be travelling internally within the States for a couple of weeks before leaving on our cruise, which departs from SF, we are considering this forwarding service, so we don't have to carry around our bulky cold weather gear for Alaska.

Thank you Hawaiidan ^

I thought I would also email them, to check if regulations were still in place here in Australia that prohibit us to utilise their service:-

Exert from their reply:-

As we will be travelling internally within the States for a couple of weeks before leaving on our cruise, which departs from SF, we are considering this forwarding service, so we don't have to carry around our bulky cold weather gear for Alaska.

Alaska in the summer in not cold a simple pair of wind pants and a wind breaker parka top thet you can wear over anything, a turtle neck and a micro pile shirt and a pile or knit cap...Leave any cotton stuff at home it absorbs any moisture and sweat like a sponge... and takes forever to dry.

It will be colder or feel colder in San Francisco with the fog and breeze

Mark Twain wrote" the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

All can fit in a shoe box and weigh in at about 2.5 pounds. Sierra Design sells a 8 oz jacket and pants set for about $30 that fits in your pocket or on your belt.

In Alaska your big worry is keeping dry as it rains a whole lot ( all that green) Poly pro sox and light weight hiking shoes ( not tennis) is all you need... No down parkas and mitts.. it will be in the low to mid 50s at night and high 60's day time Getting wet will make it feel much colder....you wont get anywhere near the arctic.. Ketchikan and the SE coastal regions are called the "banana belt" because they are so temperate

But again...keeping dry feet and clothes if all you need.. use lite layers rather than bulk.

Oh, you will be arriving during the Ketchikan Rain Festival... lucky you

It runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31 in 2014....

We use Luggage Free every year. There has never been a problem with the service we have received. I suggest you phone them (800.361.6871) and ask any questions. They are most helpful and friendly. You will not be sorry you used them.

Thank you, sailbynite.

Alaska in the summer in not cold a simple pair of wind pants and a wind breaker parka top thet you can wear over anything, a turtle neck and a micro pile shirt and a pile or knit cap...Leave any cotton stuff at home it absorbs any moisture and sweat like a sponge... and takes forever to dry.

It will be colder or feel colder in San Francisco with the fog and breeze

Mark Twain wrote" the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

All can fit in a shoe box and weigh in at about 2.5 pounds. Sierra Design sells a 8 oz jacket and pants set for about $30 that fits in your pocket or on your belt.

In Alaska your big worry is keeping dry as it rains a whole lot ( all that green) Poly pro sox and light weight hiking shoes ( not tennis) is all you need... No down parkas and mitts.. it will be in the low to mid 50s at night and high 60's day time Getting wet will make it feel much colder....you wont get anywhere near the arctic.. Ketchikan and the SE coastal regions are called the "banana belt" because they are so temperate

But again...keeping dry feet and clothes if all you need.. use lite layers rather than bulk.

Oh, you will be arriving during the Ketchikan Rain Festival... lucky you

It runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31 in 2014....

Really appreciate your advice ^Hawaiidan *Can't leave home without my Down Coat | it rolls up and packs well :)

Yes, we have used them four times since our unfortunate experience with LC.

Luggage Free is a most professional business where they really care about your needs. We have had only wonderful experiences shipping our luggage to Hong Kong twice and Europe twice and then back home each time.

• 1 year later...

We are thinking of shipping luggage to Cape Town for the beginning of the cruise. We are taking Oceania's pre-cruise tour to Victoria Falls/Chobe. Because the luggage will weigh too much, we have to store the bags at a location in/near the JNB airport. It does not indicate the exact location other than saying the JNB airport. As many times we have had items removed from checked luggage just in the U.S., I am not really excited of the prospect of all our items sitting in some storage in a foreign country.

I had a few questions about the service:

1. When we ship the luggage, do we place the Oceania cabin tags onto the luggage before it leaves our home?

2. Should the luggage be locked? I saw a suggestion to include name, address, phone number, passport info inside the luggage.

3. How far in advance do you normally ship the luggage from your departure date?

4. Is the luggage delivered to our cabin or do we claim it at the dock before getting on board?

Oceania thinks enough of Luggage Free to offer the service door-to-door and complimentary for all full 180 day world cruisers. I'll know more about the reliability of the service at the conclusion of the cruise in July; I'll have no idea of the cost.