Bouchard Gardens at Night - Victoria, BC

mkerner

Has anyone done the garden tour at night? How was it?

We will be on the Golden Princess in September and were wondering if this tour through Princess was worth it - especially at night and in September. If it is not we are open to suggestions.

Thanks

Yes, it is great, if you are really into flowers and gardens.

The flowers are illuminated, and my pictures of individual flowers came out great.

There is lots of walking to see everything, so it is good if you are a good walker.

I have done Butchart Gardens in the morning, in the afternoon, and at night,

in June, August, and September, and there is always something different to see.

Go for it if you are into gardens.

Has anyone done the garden tour at night? How was it?

We will be on the Golden Princess in September and were wondering if this tour through Princess was worth it - especially at night and in September. If it is not we are open to suggestions.

Thanks

Why at night? We did Alaska in September last year and it was daylight the entire time we were at Butchart Gardens. We wondered how the gardens would look at night and wished we could go back again and see it that way but really enjoyed it immensely in the daylight.

I think it's even cooler at night with all the colored lights. Rather than doing the tour thru Princess though, I would suggest walking right outside the dock area and looking for the line of town cars and limos. We hooked up with another couple on the dock and split the fee for town car and driver. He took us on a tour around the city before heading out to the gardens. Spent about an hour there before heading back to ship.

I think it's even cooler at night with all the colored lights. Rather than doing the tour thru Princess though, I would suggest walking right outside the dock area and looking for the line of town cars and limos. We hooked up with another couple on the dock and split the fee for town car and driver. He took us on a tour around the city before heading out to the gardens. Spent about an hour there before heading back to ship.

I would second that opinion. We booked through Princess because they had a wheelchair lift on their bus but, if I went again and didn't need that accomodation (if my son wasn't along) I would take some other form of transportation. Not only could I have stayed at the gardens longer, it would definitely have been cheaper.

On my upcoming Hawaii trip I'm renting a car on each island. On Oahu I can drive to the Arizona memorial (which is FREE) and then drive anywhere else I want to go during the day. The cost of the car (good sized car so my son can transfer from his wheelchair easily) is $64 or $69 - I can't remember exactly. The cost PER PERSON to go to the free memorial is $89. For less than the cost of one person via Princess I have a car and can go a bunch of places.

OP, if you are googling the info or looking for the website, it is spelled "Butchart Gardens".

I read a review here recently where the member said going at night was a complete waste of their time as they couldn't see a thing. She or he was "very disappointed". Oh well. Different strokes!

I read the post referred to by Langley Cruisers and also rather shook my head in disbelief, however people are entitled to their opinions in this type of forum.

Butchart Gardens are a world attraction, are illuminated at night and are still very beautiful. While there are independent options for getting out to the gardens, with a late afternoon or early evening arrival in Victoria your only option is really only a ships tour.

Incidentally, sunset the first week of September is 7:45 pm and is about 3.5 minutes later with each succeeding day.

I read a review here recently where the member said going at night was a complete waste of their time as they couldn't see a thing. She or he was "very disappointed". Oh well. Different strokes!

I live in Victoria. I laughed my head off reading the comment. Butchart is very well lit at night. In fact, during the winter people visit Butchart at night for the lights.

I read one visitor rented a car from National who met them at the pier and saved more than half that way. Bring a GPS and it's pretty easy to find.

On a personal note, and as someone who greets a lot of the cruise ship passengers, if it were me arriving at 7:00 pm to visit Victoria for only 4 hours (or whatever short time) I wouldn't waste my time going to Butchart as you'll spend an hour and a half just getting there and back. The Inner Harbour of Victoria is a great place to wander and is lit up too.

That said, I think Butchart is one of the great things to see in Victoria.

Here are some other things to do as well, many in walking distance from the cruise ship terminal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1707137

Archived