Hints for 4 people in an oceanview

RIvacationgirl

Hi everyone. We are going on a family/friends cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn next year. My daughter will be staying with 3 other people (all in their 20's) in Oceanview room 8012. I know it will be tight, but we figured they probably will spend very little time in their room.

Does anyone have any helpful hints to make the room a little more user friendly???

Thanks!:eek:

Wow, four women in 159 sq ft space is going to be more than crowded!!! 159 sq ft is about 10X16 ft space. Scheduling for bathroom/shower and getting ready is going to have to be tightly regulated and everyone is going to have to go to bed and get up about the same time. I couldn't do it, but I guess if it were the only option, people that young can make it work. Hope they are very close friends!!!!:D

They probably won't be in the room much, but closet/drawer space will be tight, suitcases can be stowed under beds, try to utilize closet space as efficiently as possible. Bring an over the door organizer (the kind with clear pockets for storing shoes) to hang outside bathroom door for all little essentials (camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, toiletries, etc) to minimalize the clutter on tabletop/countertops (also makes small things easy to find). And lastly, purchase a spa pass for the duration of your cruise, there are always showers and blowdryers there, with plenty of mirror space for applying makeup and fixing hair...and you never have to wait for 3 other roommates to finish in the bathroom!

~Michele:)

They probably won't be in the room much, but closet/drawer space will be tight, suitcases can be stowed under beds, try to utilize closet space as efficiently as possible. Bring an over the door organizer (the kind with clear pockets for storing shoes) to hang outside bathroom door for all little essentials (camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, toiletries, etc) to minimalize the clutter on tabletop/countertops (also makes small things easy to find). And lastly, purchase a spa pass for the duration of your cruise, there are always showers and blowdryers there, with plenty of mirror space for applying makeup and fixing hair...and you never have to wait for 3 other roommates to finish in the bathroom!

~Michele:)

Or just go to the gym for showers . . . no need for the pass.

Yes it can be done. The best thing is to udnerstnad what to expect--as rvsullivan noted this is going to be very tight. If they realize this going in--and it sounds as if you are trying to help them do that--then they can prepare and also they will not be surprised. Here are some very important guidelines:

1) Pack very light. There is just not going to be any extra room. I would recommend airline carryon size bag for each one. It will be hard for them--but in the end it will make it sooo much better.

2) Instruct them that they are going to have to keep their "stuff" picked up and together--to identify space in the room for each one and that they must confine themselves to that space. Our kids were actually pretty good at this--and if they weren't we simply picked their stuff up and put it in their spot. again--there is just NO room for everyone to fling their stuff about.

3) Actually it is very helpful if they are not all on the same sleep schedule--fortuantely ours were not--we had one kid who was always up and out early. The shower/bathroom situation can be the most challenging. They simply need to talk it out and make a plan.

4) I always gave our kids the option--if you don't like being crowded we will find you a place to stay while we go on vacation. Honestly--just don't let the complaints begin. Sure--we'd all love to be in luxurious suite. They are young. Put it out there from the git-go that the quarters are tight, they won't have a lot of room--but they're on a CRUISE for gosh sakes. I actually never got a complaint from any of our kids.

5) The over-the-door hangers really are helpful for keeping things picked up and visible and easy to find. That is the best tip I have gotten on CC.

6) There are outdoor showers by the pool where you actually can wash your hair if you wish--this option has been utilized by our desperate college kids.

It will be great and they will have a blast!!:D:D

Ditto on the comment about 159 sq.ft. shared by 4 adults - close friends that always get along, for sure.

Some cruisers loved to bring just about everything from home to a 7 night cruise - which, in this case, isn't recommended. Travel light - limit to a single 25" or smaller suitcase and a backpack/carryon that can be nested inside the suitcase, with 2 of them going underneath each side of the lower beds, set up as singles - to serve as day sofa beds to sit on. For cat naps during the day, try using the upper bunk (if there is one) ****

Closet space will be a premium, bring some disposable hangers for clothes and get those hanging (over the door) toiletry organizers - some extra hooks & bungee cords will be helpful. Each person will get one small drawer's worth of personal space to store their belongings & things, not much - keep the valuables in the mini safe.

For restroom purposes, they might want to consider using the public one - one deck below (Deck 7) next to the Fwd stairs/elevators - it's not too far away, just a short walk & down one level. (Usually not busy except during evening showtimes)

A power strip (my personal favorite Belkin power cube w. 3 outlets & 2 usb charging ports) is mandatory to take care of charging electronic devices.

**** #8012 on the Dawn, according to the latest NCL Deck plan is a Balcony with space for up to 3 people, the 3rd. bed is the pullout single sofa bed, usually poorly padded & some find uncomfortable to sleep on - ask for foam crates from the attendant. The rest of the cabins in that forward section are oceanview, #8010 is the last one - and all of them will sleep up to 4 people (haven't been on the Dawn since its makeover changes) with 2 upper (ceiling drop-down) & 2 lower beds - that will be tight & "cozy" for all.

We had a balcony on the Dawn years ago, deck 8 and it was just 2 of us - 3 will be tight even for a young child - with very little space to move around & worst if the sofabed is extended for sleeping near the balcony.

Hi everyone. We are going on a family/friends cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn next year. My daughter will be staying with 3 other people (all in their 20's) in Oceanview room 8012. I know it will be tight, but we figured they probably will spend very little time in their room.

Does anyone have any helpful hints to make the room a little more user friendly???

Thanks!:eek:

Any chance they can upgrade to a balcony - or get 2 insides? 4 in a cabin is really tight .....

Ditto on the comment about 159 sq.ft. shared by 4 adults - close friends that always get along, for sure.

Some cruisers loved to bring just about everything from home to a 7 night cruise - which, in this case, isn't recommended. Travel light - limit to a single 25" or smaller suitcase and a backpack/carryon that can be nested inside the suitcase, with 2 of them going underneath each side of the lower beds, set up as singles - to serve as day sofa beds to sit on. For cat naps during the day, try using the upper bunk (if there is one) ****

Closet space will be a premium, bring some disposable hangers for clothes and get those hanging (over the door) toiletry organizers - some extra hooks & bungee cords will be helpful. Each person will get one small drawer's worth of personal space to store their belongings & things, not much - keep the valuables in the mini safe.

For restroom purposes, they might want to consider using the public one - one deck below (Deck 7) next to the Fwd stairs/elevators - it's not too far away, just a short walk & down one level. (Usually not busy except during evening showtimes)

A power strip (my personal favorite Belkin power cube w. 3 outlets & 2 usb charging ports) is mandatory to take care of charging electronic devices.

**** #8012 on the Dawn, according to the latest NCL Deck plan is a Balcony with space for up to 3 people, the 3rd. bed is the pullout single sofa bed, usually poorly padded & some find uncomfortable to sleep on - ask for foam crates from the attendant. The rest of the cabins in that forward section are oceanview, #8010 is the last one - and all of them will sleep up to 4 people (haven't been on the Dawn since its makeover changes) with 2 upper (ceiling drop-down) & 2 lower beds - that will be tight & "cozy" for all.

We had a balcony on the Dawn years ago, deck 8 and it was just 2 of us - 3 will be tight even for a young child - with very little space to move around & worst if the sofabed is extended for sleeping near the balcony.

You are correct. The room is 8112- I misread the statement!

Several have posted to store stuff under BOTH twin beds. That can not be done with one of them as that is where the trundle bed that pulls out to make the wall to wall lower beds is stored.

You can use the stored bags under the one bed as extra draws to store things. Keep in mind they will have no access to them until the trundle is put away by the room steward in the morning or be before they make it up in the evening.

I think a spa pass would make for a great Xmas gift for your own child in this case.

I think the real problem will be all 4 trying to get ready in the morning, trying to change clothes for dinner, showering.

They'll be in the room more than you think.

LOL! that pretty much says it all! (poking my head in to say "hi" to computerworks) :D

~Michele

Hi ya Michele!

Seriously...my daughter and her family ( my son-in-law, and 2 kids, 9 and 6) did a 7-day in an OV... it was rather tight, to say the least.

Realize it ends up a "triple" bed (wall to wall) with a fold down over their head...for four people.

The room is 8112

Several have posted to store stuff under BOTH twin beds. That can not be done with one of them as that is where the trundle bed that pulls out to make the wall to wall lower beds is stored.

You can use the stored bags under the one bed as extra draws to store things. Keep in mind they will have no access to them until the trundle is put away by the room steward in the morning or be before they make it up in the evening.

#8112 is one of the few obstructed OV cabin that are much closer to Midship, and yes, it will then be using a trundle bed that pull out from underneath & get setup daily by the steward, plus the upper pullmand bed that drop down from the wall/ceiling. It's only a few cabins from the public restroom by the Blue Lagoon/specialty restaurant.

Still a very tight fit but the sideway cabins are more efficient with space, it might be possible to set up the trundle bed to form a U or inverted U shape bed, without putting them away + the upper bunk. There won't be much room to walk around but it will create yield more underbed storage. I recall seeing this arrangement on the Dawn for an inside cabin - there's been discussion about it, just ask & tell the stateroom steward and they can set it up for you by the 1st. evening when s/he has time. To make room, they might have to remove & store the square table - leaving just the fixed dresser table plus the 2 mini-night stands.

Here's a link to the discussion with a photo -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1140422.html

I would say they will need patience:D. We haven't done 4 in a room since my kids turned into teenagers. NCL is expecially tight with 4. 2 rooms is usually not that much more for the extra space and extra bathroom you get. But if you must then I suggest an over-the-door shoe holder to free up your limited counter space.

Hi ya Michele!

Seriously...my daughter and her family ( my son-in-law, and 2 kids, 9 and 6) did a 7-day in an OV... it was rather tight, to say the least.

Realize it ends up a "triple" bed (wall to wall) with a fold down over their head...for four people.

Two adults and two children is a big difference from four grown women!!! Better plan well.

Can they do it? Sure! But they better have a plan and avoid taking other than bare essentials for clothes. They will never be able to do the wardrobe that a typical 20 something female wants for a cruise. Lower their expectations now!!

Actually I would ask - early 20's or late 20's. Makes a big difference. Putting four people still accustomed to a college lifestyle (early 20's) will generally make this happen a lot better than people who have started work, gotten married, gotten their own place, etc. . .

Basically most college students share rooms(dorm, apartment, sorority/fraternity house, have roadtripped or stayed at friends houses, on pull out beds/etc. For whatever reason (men and women), after we enter the workforce, etc - we are no longer as nomadic, and what was once comfortable and acceptable is no longer. . . .

I mean - when I was in my early 20's - backpacking across Europe and staying in hostels, sleeping on trains, crashing at friends places were the norm (and fine for men and women). Nowadays as I'm much older - not so much.

Actually I would ask - early 20's or late 20's. Makes a big difference. Putting four people still accustomed to a college lifestyle (early 20's) will generally make this happen a lot better than people who have started work, gotten married, gotten their own place, etc. . .

Basically most college students share rooms(dorm, apartment, sorority/fraternity house, have roadtripped or stayed at friends houses, on pull out beds/etc. For whatever reason (men and women), after we enter the workforce, etc - we are no longer as nomadic, and what was once comfortable and acceptable is no longer. . . .

I mean - when I was in my early 20's - backpacking across Europe and staying in hostels, sleeping on trains, crashing at friends places were the norm (and fine for men and women). Nowadays as I'm much older - not so much.

Very true. These are all very familiar with the college routine, young 20's!

We do this regularly.

Talk with steward on day one and explain you will be out of cabin by 8:30 every day and would like to get back in by 9:30.

A Rises and Showers. A and B go to breakfast. C and D get up and shower and prep for day. C and D got to breakfast and A and B return to Cabin. B Showers and A finishes getting ready. Cabin straightened for steward. Leave cabin with Make Up Now Sign Hanging.

Enjoy your day.

Other items that work well.

There are usually 3 drawers and 4 shelves. learn to share. half your clothes say in the suit case and you swap them out half way through the cruise.

Dont bring 4 tubes of tooth paste, bottles of shampoo, etc... All that stuff takes space. Again learn to share.

There is a collapsable closet shelf hanger that adds a lot of storage space if you don't hang up a lot of stuff.

As time for the cruise comes closer, check to see if any of the sideways H/C cabins are released. They are much larger than the regular cabins. We just stayed in one on the Star. The 2 bed were set up as a queen and the trundle bed was under the drop down bed on the wall. I was with my 2 young granddaughters and DH and it was crowded. There is very little closet space,but the bathroom is larger than a regular cabin.

Archived