First time Cruiser- Best tips?

ropo73

They will try to sell you anything and everything once you go on the Ship. Use some self-control, look if your interested, buy the Picture if you really like it, etc..

Don't let the upselling become a negative for you. If they ask you to take your picture, let them, cause it's easier than saying no.

Your on Vacation let any/all negatives go ASAP!! :D

Have a great cruise!

Get an over the door shoe hanger, the ones with pockets. Hang it over your bathroom door for all your hair gels, hair spray, shampoos, sunscreen, deodorant, they hold a multitude of things and won't fall off your bathroom counter. Also, take some clorox wipes and wipe down the remote, safe handle, phone and anything else you feel needs an extra touch up:)

There's just ENTIRELY too much information that a first-time cruiser can benefit from. It's best that you read one of the best threads that I've seen on Cruise Critic to date called "I Wish I Knew Before..."

I'm a relatively seasoned cruiser, and even I found some worthwhile suggestions there. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1086757

Happy reading, and enjoy your cruise! ;)

A couple things, do your research before you get on the ship and decide what you would LIKE to do. You have a good start here with this thread, but with Oasis/Allure it is even more vital to do a lot of research, planning, and booking of shows as early as possible.

Then, once you get on the ship, relax and remember that you can't possibly do everything and that some things may not be 100% what you would thought. Enjoy what it is for what it is and have a wonderful vacation, don't stress out over the small stuff.

As for tips on kids, pop on over to the family board. There are lots of great tips on ways to keep in touch, and rules to set for the kids. Again, set the rules and let the kids know them BEFORE sailing.

We are cruising with our 3 sons(10, 15 and 19) on the Oasis of the Seas. Western cruise - end of November.

What is your best advice/tip/trick???

Thanks!

:

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=ropo73&date=11-24-2012&text=First Cruise!!&ship=Oasis of the Seas

:cool:Arrive at the port NLT 10:45 am. The sooner you board, the sooner your cruise vacation starts. Your cabin attendant and waiter are your best friends. Treat them as such. Don't be afraid to order more than one item at meal time. Try what you want. Tip your bartender well at first. He will remember you later. Enjoy, but you do not have to participate in all activities. Pick and choose. You are on vacation to relax:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

My Tips:

- Whatever you intend on packing, take out a 1/3 of it. I found my first time I overpacked. Then my 2nd time I kept in mind not to overpack and still did. Moral of the story, pack less because it will make your life easier and if you do need something, the shops on board got you covered.

- The boards here are great for information but don't let it dictate you. not saying the info you get here is wrong but being a cruising pro based off what you read here will take away the fun of experiencing it on your own.

We are cruising with our 3 sons(10, 15 and 19) on the Oasis of the Seas. Western cruise - end of November.

What is your best advice/tip/trick???

Thanks!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=ropo73&date=11-24-2012&text=First Cruise!!&ship=Oasis of the Seas

Cruise Critic can be your best friend. After 28 cruises, I still get a wealth of information from the great folks who are members.

Get an over the door shoe hanger, the ones with pockets. Hang it over your bathroom door for all your hair gels, hair spray, shampoos, sunscreen, deodorant, they hold a multitude of things and won't fall off your bathroom counter. Also, take some clorox wipes and wipe down the remote, safe handle, phone and anything else you feel needs an extra touch up:)

I love this idea! I'm going to buy one for all our travels;)

OP- One bit of advice that I can offer for your cruise is to start studying the deck plans now. I was overwhelmed on my first cruise and kept getting lost. When I finally got my bearings, the 7 days were over.:D

- Read all you can here ahead of time, but then be prepared to "wing it" when appropriate.

- Read your daily newspaper each evening; an amazing number of people miss out on things because they just weren't aware.

- Use this forum to choose private excrusions, and book early so you can get the prime morning timeslots.

- Pack lightly. The cabins are small, and you don't want to step over stuff, stuff, stuff all week long.

- Plan to arrive in your port city the day before your cruise so you can board early (before the crowds) and can arrive well-rested and stress-free.

- Don't feel the necessity to spend, spend, spend; once you're on the ship, you really don't need much else.

- Do familiarize yourself with onboard tipping so you'll be prepared.

You're going to have a great time!

Archived