LA Hotels Long Beach or San Pedro

Babs02

We're flying in 2 days before our Hawaii Cruise where's the best place to stay for 1 day Long Beach or San Pedro. Noticed a lot of people have mentioned Crowne Plaza but not which one assume they mean San Pedro.

Also people have mentioned that Long Beach isn't the most desirable area.

This is our first trip to La so any advice would be helpful

Hi Babs02,

This has been discussed at length before and the info is here on this board. Please feel free to use the "Search this forum" function back on the main page and simply type in "hotel long beach" and "hotel san pedro" and you will get, literally, dozens of threads to read. I can see several threads on the first page already. You can read the threads, make your notes, get rates online, read reviews at tripadvisor.com, and make your decision.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I have to tell you that it is San Pedro that is undesirable.

Do yourself a favor. Stay in Long Beach. There is a lot to do there.

There are many hotels but here are a couple to check out Avia and Hyatt.

Avia is now part of Hyatt but here is their web site.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/avia/default.htm?gclid=CNjDs7DisqgCFSFl7Aod-0qNEw

From Long Beach take a cab on the morning of Embarkation. You'll be there in 15-20 minutes.

With all due respect to San Pedro the town is just so so in my opinion.

Keith

Do a search on Bruin Steve, who has posted with a list of Long Beach hotels to consider. If you stick to that list, you should be happy. As for San Pedro, the two that seem to be recommended the most are the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree (both in San Pedro). If you just want to hanker in after your flight, but be able to make a grocery stop for your cruise (you can get wine at Vons, CVS drug store, Off the Vine -- owned by a CC member) and have dinner, than San Pedro should be okay for a night's stay. If staying at one of those hotels, you can ask at check in if they still have a free shuttle to the port, and find out how to get it the next morning.

Long Beach has some interesting things to see (I love the Aquarium of the Pacific; also the Queen Mary is there, right next to Shoreline Village, which is a quaint outdoors mall with some good restaurants). Just be sure to go with one of Steve's hotel suggestions as there are a lot of industrial areas in Long Beach. You can check with the hotel concierge to see if they have transportation to the Port of LA (they probably will just have a shuttle to the Port of Long Beach, which serves Carnival, but you might as well ask). Just be sure to tell your driver (taxi or otherwise) that you're going to the World Cruise Center in San Pedro, so you won't be dropped off at LB by mistake.

As someone who has worked around both Long Beach and San Pedro since the 1960s, I would prefer the more interesting sights of "Peedro." Both towns have their "less than fancy" areas. From my experience, San Pedro has more interesting and just plain good places to eat, at all prices, than downtown Long Beach. Since your cruise is leaving from the terminal in downtown San Pedro pick a hotel there. The Crown Plaza is only a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal (well, maybe five or six). You can take the trolley right into the cruise terminal for free. Visit the USS Iowa, maritime museum, Fort MacArthur, Ports of Call, etc.

I have to tell you that as a tourist Long Beach is so much nicer.

Yes, it has it's bad areas but the areas that I mentioned are quite nice and there is a lot to do and nice restaurants and it is nice to walk around.

I made the mistake of staying in San Pedro once and I have stopped in from time to me while transiting the port or starting or ending there and to me it has not changed. There is so much potential but if one is spending two nights, San Pedro is not the place to stay.

Again, I am posting this as a tourist who loves California but not San Pedro.

Keith

We're flying in 2 days before our Hawaii Cruise where's the best place to stay for 1 day Long Beach or San Pedro. Noticed a lot of people have mentioned Crowne Plaza but not which one assume they mean San Pedro.

First, let me ask...You say you are flying in TWO days before, but staying by the harbor just one night?

I take it you are staying somewhere more IN LA the first night (ie Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood/Universal, et al)???

So...that would mean that after a couple of days or partial days of touring the sights of LA (which are mostly somewhat distant from the port--like 30-40 miles away), you are then just relocating to be near the port for the night...so that it's convenient to get up the next morning and head to the ship...

In that case, I ould definitely stay in San Pedro...

First of all, I do not find San Pedro at all undesirable...nor do I find the Downtown/Convention Center area of Long Beach...

Long Beach is a BIG city...a population of over half a million...Like all big cities, there are GOOD parts and there are BAD parts...The core Downtown Area near the harbor is a GOOD part--it has been redeveloped over recent years...with great shopping, lots of restaurants, really nice hotels, etc. Also has some very good tourist attractions. Wht I usually warn people is to make sure to stay in this specific part of Long Beach...because venturing just a few blocks away from this core area may put you in a much less desirable part of the city...

San Pedro is somewhat different...It is an older town which, for years, was considered somewhat scuzzy--home to a lot of blue collar types--dockworkers, fishermen, laborers...but it has undergone some gentrification in recent years...and parts of it are now quite nice...and, the real key here is that for a ONE NIGHT stay with a cruise leaving from the World Cruise Center, the next day, it is very convenient...

There are TWO very good hotels in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree...I may not stay in most of the other hotels/motels in Pedro, but I would stay in ither of those any time...And, there are several very good, very casual and very convenient restaurants in San Pedro--most within a very short walk of the Crowne Plaza...

So, if you are just pulling into Pedro the evening before the cruise, you might want to just check into, say, the CP, go have a nice dinner at San Pedro Brewing Company or the Green Onion or Acapulco or the 22nd Street Landing or any of the other several good local establishments (do a search on this board for Wineaux's list of recommended restaurants in the "San Pedro from a San Pedran" thread)...

Then, go have a good night's sleep...and take the hotel's free shuttle to the pier in the morning...

Good luck...

Long Beach is a big city--and you don't have to wander too far from the downtown area to find some of the bad areas--but you really have no reason to be in that part of town as there isn't much to offer a tourist.

Are you only going to have full day in the Los Angeles area? Did you want to tour LA? I would recommend Long Beach over San Pedro--but I have lived in Long Beach my entire life and think there is much more to do and see there than across the Harbor.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We actually arrive in LA (LAX) Monday Night boarding is Wednesday. So although we would have 2 nights at a hotel we would have only 1 day to spend looking around. Not really much time in LA to see a lot.

I wasn't sure if there would be more to see in San Pedro, not knowing the area, or if we would be better off staying in Long Beach.

Glad to know that the area isn't as undesirable as mentioned in some posts.

Still researching hotels in both areas though.

I know I am repeating myself but if you are staying two nights stay in Long Beach not San Pedro.

There is a lot more to see in Long Beach.

You won't be sorry.

Or stay someplace other that these two towns.

Check out the Avia Hotel I mentioned for Long Beach. Many don't know about it but it's been open a couple of years.

Keith

Thanks everyone for the replies. We actually arrive in LA (LAX) Monday Night boarding is Wednesday. So although we would have 2 nights at a hotel we would have only 1 day to spend looking around. Not really much time in LA to see a lot.

I wasn't sure if there would be more to see in San Pedro, not knowing the area, or if we would be better off staying in Long Beach.

Glad to know that the area isn't as undesirable as mentioned in some posts.

Still researching hotels in both areas though.

Actually...

If you really want to tour LA and are staying TWO nights, you may want to consider staying in NEITHER Long Beach nor San Pedro...both are a considerable distance from the major LA tourist sights...You might think about getting a shuttle from LAX up to a hotel in Santa Monica or Hollywood/Universal or even staying near LAX...something closer to the LA tourist sights or on the HOHO bus route...or where one of the major tour companies will pick you up at your hotel on Tuesday morning...The n you could get the most out of your short time in LA-- seeing LA...Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the studios, the museums, etc. Then, Wednesday morning, get a shuttle from the hotel to the ship...

If you stay in Long Beach (or in San Pedro) and have no rental car and you want to tour the LA attractions, you can get a tour through Sunseeker Tours-- the only tour company that picks up in the Harbor area...but your tour will include a couple of extra hours on the Freeways...OR...you can easily fill up a day in San Pedro (Maritime Museum, USS Iowa, etc) or in Long Beach (Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, etc.)...but you won't see things like Grauman's Chinese, the Walk of Fame, the Hollywood Sign, Rodeo Drive, the Getty Center and Villa, Santa Monica Pier, the Venice Boardwalk, the studios, etc...they are all about 30 to 40 miles away...

Thanks for your reply Steve. We're not interested in Hollywood or any other sites just haven't got the time, just need to know which area has the most to offer out of LB or SP, don't want to be stuck in hotel most of day because there's nothing to do near the hotel we stay at.

Note you don't mention Holiday Inn (convention centre) as a recommended hotel, any particular reason? It states in the reviews that its within walking distance of the beach.

Thanks for your reply Steve. We're not interested in Hollywood or any other sites just haven't got the time, just need to know which area has the most to offer out of LB or SP, don't want to be stuck in hotel most of day because there's nothing to do near the hotel we stay at.

Note you don't mention Holiday Inn (convention centre) as a recommended hotel, any particular reason? It states in the reviews that its within walking distance of the beach.

There are only two Holiday Inns in Long Beach...

One is at a Freeway offramp of the 405 up near LGB Airport...

The other is on Atlantic, across the street from St. Mary's Hospital...It's only "walking distance to the beach" if you're willing to walk about 20 city blocks through traffic, noise and blight...

I don't recommend it because it's not in a great location or a good area...

If you want a bargain in Long Beach, try "pricelining" at least 3.5 stars in the "Downtown" area only...

If you're not into Priceline, trust me, it will still be worth the price of staying at the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance or Hyatt at the Pike (formerly Avia)...You will truly be in close walking distance to all Long Beach has to offer...and a free shuttle ride to the Queen Mary...and with loads of Restaurant choices, pleasant places to walk, shopping and the wonderful Aquarium...It is well worth whatever extra nightly cost over staying in a less desirable part of town...Also, note that these are very nice hotels...You will feel like you are on vacation...not just in a cheap motel in transit...

Since you are sailing out of San Pedro, you will need a taxi to your ship on Wednesday...

I know you didn't ask me but do look at the Hyatt and the web site I provide for the former Avia.

The key is to get near spots where you can walk and enjoy the area. They include the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, the Boardwalk and beach. There are also lots of nice restaurants nearby as well.

This is the nice part of Long Beach. We have done this many times.

We have also stayed in other places such as Hollywood but understand that you don't want to do this.

Keith

If you are just looking to spend a day doing the beach, and checking out local eateries and fun bars, and walking on the pier to Ruby's at the end of the pier, I would suggest you take a good look at Seal Beach. Since you will be taking a taxi to San Pedro, the cost isn't that much more from Seal than from Long Beach.

Seal Beach has a "great" downtown Main St, and you can also walk across the bridge to bars and restaurants by the Long Beach Marina. Not to mention you can take a taxi to Surfside and Sunset Beach.

Just a thought for you to consider.:)

Thanks Keith for the link I was struggling to find Avia as Hyatt has changed its name, but had priced the hotel up under its new name Pike.

Think I'll price up the hotels & see which are cheapest. Hyatt, Long Beach & CP San Pedro are two that seem to be appealing & choose from there.

Does the Hyatt provide shuttles to the port?

Husky thanks for your suggestions, but I think I'll stay with LB or SP, else I'll never make up my mind. Although Seal Beach does sound more to our liking.

Babs02, the Hyatt doesn't provide a shuttle to the port. A taxi ride is about 15 minutes and will run around $25.00 (USA).

Keith

Due to the distance, the hotels in Long Beach won't provide a shuttle to the port in San Pedro.

If you are comfortable using PriceLine, bidding your own travel, bid 3.5 star or higher, zone 1 ONLY, Long Beach. You will probably get Hyatt, Westin, or Renaissance--all good hotels centrally located in downtown Long Beach.

I see no reason why you need to go anywhere outside of San Pedro. If you like museums we have the Maritime Museum as well as the USS Iowa, the Korean Bell, Fort MacArthur Military Museum. Contact Angela at Townee Tours if you'd like a walking tour of Historic San Pedro. You can visit the Cabrillo Aquarium or the Marine Mammal Care Center. Check out this website for information: http://www.sanpedro.com/SP_POINT/PLACINT.HTM

You can take the Red Car from Miner all the way down to the Dancing Fountains at the Cruise Terminal entrance. The new Catalina Bistro at the Cataline Express Terminal is a good place to enjoy a nice breakfast or lunch and you can walk up 6th street for lunch or dinner as well. Lots of great family owned restaurants (sorry, no PF Changs or Bubba Gump Shrimp). Pick the catch of the day at Port's O Call and have them cook it for you right there and then enjoy it while watching cargo ships being offloaded or entering and leaving the harbor. It's not fancy but it's a working port which I find way more interesting than chain restaurants (born and raised in Cleveland myself).

If you decide to rent a car you can drive out the coast and have lunch seaside at one of Sunset Magazines Top Ten California Cliffside dining restaurants: Nelson's at Terranea Resort. Or, walk along the beach at Trump National.

Plenty to do in San Pedro and PV. Long Beach is newer but outside of the Pike and Shoreline Village there is nothing interesting. If you like places of historical significance San Pedro is the way to go.

Go to the San Pedro from a San Pedran thread for tons of San Pedro information.

We have stayed at the Crowne in San Pedro, and for a switch used a carnival code and stayed at the Maya in Long Beach. We liked the Crowne and we were lucky one time to get there when the street was closed and they had all vendors. We have walked all around the area, and never felt unsafe. Plenty of places to eat around the hotel.

We stayed in Long Beach after a cruise and the taxi driver told us it would be between $25 and $30 from the San Pedro port to Long Beach..he never put down the meter and of course it was $30 plus tip. We did enjoy it, as we ate in the Queen Mary (my husband has cruised on her) and was able to wonder around (couldn't go in some places, because we didn't pay). We walked around the Maya and noticed (we rescue cats) that the hotel next door had put out feral homes for the cats and were feeding them. It was pleasant walking around the hotels and down to the Queen Mary. We also took the free shuttle into town and did some shopping and walking around. There really isn't much there other than shopping and when we took the shuttle the entire way around, saw there were some really bad spots. We were warned to bring a plastic bag, as sometimes there are homeless people on the shuttle and they have had accidents. I don't know if that was true LOL..but we didn't bring the bags and we were none the worse for wear.

Archived