Shorts in all dining venues on Sky?

I saw some Freestyle Dailies from May somewhere on this forum...anyway, it said shorts were acceptable in all dining venues.

Anybody off the Sky recently who can verify this? I'm asking because according to NCL's website, for men, it's long pants and closed-toe shoes for the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants. We haven't cruised since 2010, so I'm out of the loop....and we've never done a short cruise like this, so maybe it's just more casual than the longer cruises...

Can anybody clarify this for me?

Yes. Nice shorts are allowed in all dining venues on the Sky, with maybe the exception of LeBisto. I think it's because of the shorter sailings that they do this on the Sky. I have been on the Sky 3 times in a bit over a year and this was always the case.

On the Pearl recently, a dress code was clearly posted at the podium or entrance to all the dining rooms. Additionally, the dress code for all dining was included in the Freestyle daily each day. With this information so readily available, no diner should have been surprised at what was necessary....and helped the dining room entrance staff by having it so clearly explained and posted for guest review. But that has nothing to do with the OP's question.......which I don't know.

I have seen shorts in all MDRs of the NCL ships that I have been on lately. Some women were wearing short shorts, and there were guys in basketball type shorts. These would have been forbidden in the past.

When we were on the PoA in January, they were enforcing the dress code for the Liberty dining room and LeBistro.

I was on the SKY in January and for sure it is a bit more relaxed than other ships. Definitely you could wear shorts and nice shirts in the MDR. But the food was wonderful--and while the attire was more relaxed I did not find it offensive at all. I do not recall seeing "short shorts" or ripped clothes or anything offensive. Most people dressed very appropriately. And again, the food was surprisingly good--as I had assumed that since it was a short cruise--I was very pleasantly surprised. Have a great relaxed time.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Uhh, I don't have a not kidding.

Too true!:D

To the OP, the Sky Daily last week stated shorts are allowed in all dining locations. The Sky is sometimes used as a test location for new policies. I'm not sure if this policy is because the Sky hosts the 3 and 4 day cruises or if it is a trial.

I have been on the Sky twice. It is the MOST casual of all NCL ships since it stops in a port every day. You can wear shorts in EVERY restaurant except LeBistro. LeBistro has a dress code fleetwide. My first trip on the Sky, Cagneys had a dress code but on the Sky it was never enforced. Last time we were told of the new dress code for NCL. It is even more freestyle than ever. The only restaurants that dont allow shorts are LeBistro, Manhattan Room on Epic. Check the ship because one of the MDR may still have a dress code.

I have been on the Sky twice. It is the MOST casual of all NCL ships since it stops in a port every day. You can wear shorts in EVERY restaurant except LeBistro. LeBistro has a dress code fleetwide. My first trip on the Sky, Cagneys had a dress code but on the Sky it was never enforced. Last time we were told of the new dress code for NCL. It is even more freestyle than ever. The only restaurants that dont allow shorts are LeBistro, Manhattan Room on Epic. Check the ship because one of the MDR may still have a dress code.

Well, this will be different, that's for sure. We haven't cruised since March, 2010, so I guess much has changed. Probably won't change how I dress, but husband would be thrilled to wear dress shorts instead of long pants. I can't decide if I'm going to tell him, or not. :)

Do you think that most people want to wear shorts? I would think one MDR that permits shorts and jeans and one thatt doesn't would be better? Perhaps enforcing the dress code has just gotten to be too much work.

Edited by Karysa

• 3 years later...

Hate to resurrect an old post....but does anyone who has recently sailed on the Sky know what the dress code is for Cagney's and LeBistro? I'm sailing in August with my brother who lives in jeans...and want to know if I need to get him a pair of black slacks! :eek:

Hate to resurrect an old post....but does anyone who has recently sailed on the Sky know what the dress code is for Cagney's and LeBistro? I'm sailing in August with my brother who lives in jeans...and want to know if I need to get him a pair of black slacks! :eek:

Smart jeans are allowed in every restaurant on NCL ships.