many questions about cruise

I'm new to cruise.

I just picked RC Jewel of the sea for 4 days of western caribbean cruise.

we will stop at Cozumel, Mexico. I have no idea how to choose an excursion and where to choose. My family has 2 adults and 1 child (2 year old).

we have $70 OBC and I don't know whether I should book at the cruise ship? I'm on the budget so I hope I can book excursion worth the money. Can someone make any suggestion?

also, I was thinking to book flight arriving at Tampa airport and I was wondering whether I should spend couples of days there if anything is interesting in Tampa. Any suggestions at Tampa?

sorry for so many questions. Thanks to all advice.

Welcome to cruising!

In Cozumel, with such a young child I would recommend going to one of the beaches. You can easily get a cab when you get off the ship, there is a queue and set prices. One place to go with a nice pool and a beach is Paradise Beach. You don't need reservations ahead and you don't have to book it with the cruise line. For a small fee ($2-3 per person, not sure if they charge for the baby) you will get to use lounge chairs and the beach and pool. For a little more money you can use the toys and floating mats. You may not want to pay for this for a 2 YO, because she dould not use much of them, so Paradise would be very inexpensive and easy to reach on your own. The cab is about $15 each way.

I have photos of the beach in my review linked in my signature from my Jewel cruise in Feb.

thank you so much.

I saw the excursion at Royal Caribbean website:

San Gervasio Ruins & Beach Break - CZK9

Is it worth it? Is Mayan ruins good to take a look? thanks

I will bring stroller. I don't know whether it's ok and whether inside stateroom can hold couples of suitcases and stroller.

Welcome to cruising!

In Cozumel, with such a young child I would recommend going to one of the beaches. You can easily get a cab when you get off the ship, there is a queue and set prices. One place to go with a nice pool and a beach is Paradise Beach. You don't need reservations ahead and you don't have to book it with the cruise line. For a small fee ($2-3 per person, not sure if they charge for the baby) you will get to use lounge chairs and the beach and pool. For a little more money you can use the toys and floating mats. You may not want to pay for this for a 2 YO, because she dould not use much of them, so Paradise would be very inexpensive and easy to reach on your own. The cab is about $15 each way.

I have photos of the beach in my review linked in my signature from my Jewel cruise in Feb.

thank you so much.

I saw the excursion at Royal Caribbean website:

San Gervasio Ruins & Beach Break - CZK9

Is it worth it? Is Mayan ruins good to take a look? thanks

I will bring stroller. I don't know whether it's ok and whether inside stateroom can hold couples of suitcases and stroller.

I can tell you that suitcases fit very nicely under the bed, and as long as you don't go crazy with bringing your whole closet (as I tend to do) you should be able to put the stroller (hopefully its the small collapsing type) in the closet.

Cozumel is great for a lot of fun activities. You can go to the beach, and there are plenty to go to on your own. I wouldn't book through the ship if you're just going to the beach. The Mayan ruins are cool, especially if you've never seem them. And Cozumel has some really good shopping too. I would only consider booking through the ship for the ruins... And check the length of the tour... You may not want to take a toddler on a 7-8 hour tour.

I can't say which organized excursion is the best, because we always just walk and shop. We absolutely ALWAYS go to Pancho's Backyard Restaurant, though! It is on the main seafront street, and you have to go through one of the stores to get to it. It's tucked in the back patio area of the store.

BTW...welcome to cruising! I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation!

Having never been to Cozumel, I can't give info on that specific port. However, my first cruise was before I found Cruise Critic. I decided that the excursions through the ship were too expensive so we took no excursions. I saw the videos of the excursions and thought I did the right thing because there were loads of people on the excursions on big buses.

Our second cruise, I found this site and after looking, I decided at Roatan that the ship's excursion there was the best bet.

The third (planned but cancelled) cruise, I booked exclusively with tour operators recommended here. We unfortunately had to cancel that cruise but it was the first time I felt I could trust the boards.

We are headed out to a weekend cruise and got an excursion from someone recommending it here. We are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise using tour operators recommended here. In my humble experience, you can trust what people post here. They wouldn't post good info if they received bad service so I trust them. Go to the "ports of call" boards and search there for things to do. I am sure you will find something there that suits your family.

We love Cozumel. With a 2 yr old, I agree with someone else who recommended a beach day. Paradise Beach is nice and not expensive.

Since no one touched upon Tampa, I will. The Tampa port is quite nice. There is an aquaruim right at the port and some shops. If you rent a car, Busch Gardens is not far from there. Hotels in that area are not that expensive either. MOSI (museum of science) is also in that area.

Hope this helps! Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise and prepare for addiction!

My experience of ship's excursions vs doing it on my own ...

I choose ship's excursions.

What I miss when I go on my own is the tour guide's personal experience of his/her life and the guided part of the tour. When I go on my own, I don't learn anything about the port. I find those talks most interesting.

This reasoning doesn't hold up for going to the beach or shopping excursions. That is easily done on your own.

Another thing about ship's excursion. I think it's worth it for peace of mind. When your with a ship's excursion, you have first hand help if something goes wrong. People say the ship will wait for a ship's excursion, because they know you are missing. (I guess that is true enough although I doubt they would be able to wait in every instance - but still, the company is responsible for you on a ship's excursion)

If you are off on your own, no one knows where you are.

Now, this isn't that much of an issue when you are going on a Caribbean cruise, but our last trip to Italy - when we went off on our own - it was discomforting when we ran into a slight problem. On the way back we ran into a major traffic jam with only an hour left to get back to the ship. Luckily, our cab driver was able to get off the highway and go on the city streets, but that was a close enough call to further convince me to stay with the ship's excursions.

I'm new to cruise.

I just picked RC Jewel of the sea for 4 days of western caribbean cruise.

we will stop at Cozumel, Mexico. I have no idea how to choose an excursion and where to choose. My family has 2 adults and 1 child (2 year old).

we have $70 OBC and I don't know whether I should book at the cruise ship? I'm on the budget so I hope I can book excursion worth the money. Can someone make any suggestion?

also, I was thinking to book flight arriving at Tampa airport and I was wondering whether I should spend couples of days there if anything is interesting in Tampa. Any suggestions at Tampa?

sorry for so many questions. Thanks to all advice.

Probably 90% of us have to budget our expenses but once you have cruised several times you will learn how easy it is.

If you little one drinks lots of juice, like apple, bring a large themo type mug with you to breakfast and have your table attendant fill it with juice.

Even in our 60s we do that for yourselves. My sister gets grapefruit and I get either oranage juice or apple juice and we bring it back to our cabin. Then during the day when we get thirsty for juice we don't have to worry about ordering a glass from room service and paying for it.

A guidebook is your best resource for finding out what there is in each port. Get one. Libraries have them, or you can buy one.

With a small child, you will have to bring all of the "baby stuff"....diapers, wipes, meds, etc....the ship doesn't sell anything (or if they do, it may not be your "brand" and they may not have much of it).

You OBC can be used for anything you purchase on the ship...and it can be used towards your tips, if you add them to your shipboard account. $70 doesn't go as far as you might think!

If you're flying to port, you will want to arrive the day prior....whether you spend additional time there is up to you and your budget.

Another thing about ship's excursion. I think it's worth it for peace of mind. When your with a ship's excursion, you have first hand help if something goes wrong. People say the ship will wait for a ship's excursion, because they know you are missing. (I guess that is true enough although I doubt they would be able to wait in every instance - but still, the company is responsible for you on a ship's excursion)

If you are off on your own, no one knows where you are.

caroline2007-I so agree with the above post. I always book through the cruise ship and will gladly pay extra money for piece of mind and knowing they know exactly where my family is.

As for Cozumel- I'm sure some would jump all over me but as much as I love going there-would not feel comfortable on my own.

Now-if you want to get a taste of Cozumel on the cheap-that is one port you can wander about and has massive shopping inside port walls. Having been to Cozumel a few times it is one port now, we don't explore-we shop!!!:)

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Welcome to cruising!

I agree! Cozumel is one of my favorite stops and Paradise beach will not let you down. We went in December and the fee was $14 per person but it was very well worth it. They offer snorkeling, kayaking and water toys (trampoline, rock wall, bounce house etc floating in the ocean) The pool was gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs at the pool and on the beach with wait staff always on hand to serve anything you like. The restrooms were also very clean and nicely kept. Paradise beach is a must return for me! Oh one other thing, the sand there is not what I am used to, its not real fine and in everything its more like tiny pebbles that brush off easily but still very soft.

thanks to all above

thank you all your advice and suggestions!

I will read them all and plan my trip.

I didn't see Royal caribbean offer trip for ruin ONLY. They have ruin and beach together package.

I thought I can save money if I book ruin only and go to beach by ourselves. From you guys said above, I only need to pay about $14/person for the beach.

Does anyone know how to and where to find ruin only tour? I don't know ruin only tour cost.

thanks! :)

oh, by the way, I misunderstand the OBC and shore excursion credits. I got the shore excursion credits, not OBC. So I have to pick one of excursions and I have to choose the excursions from Cheapcruises.com

The price are doubled than listed at Royal caribbean, so I guess I might waste the credits.

thanks to all above

thank you all your advice and suggestions!

I will read them all and plan my trip.

I didn't see Royal caribbean offer trip for ruin ONLY. They have ruin and beach together package.

I thought I can save money if I book ruin only and go to beach by ourselves. From you guys said above, I only need to pay about $14/person for the beach.

Does anyone know how to and where to find ruin only tour? I don't know ruin only tour cost.

thanks! :)

oh, by the way, I misunderstand the OBC and shore excursion credits. I got the shore excursion credits, not OBC. So I have to pick one of excursions and I have to choose the excursions from Cheapcruises.com

The price are doubled than listed at Royal caribbean, so I guess I might waste the credits.

I don't think you'd have time for both the ruins and beach in the same day.

I would have to agree with CigarKing about the ruins. In 2006, my sister took her then 3 yo and 6 yo kids with us to tour some Mayan ruins (we were in Costa Maya) and there is a lot of climbing and rough paths. The little ones did stumble a few times and got some scraped up knees. My kids were 14 and 18 at the time and really enjoyed the ruins, so I would wait a few years before taking your little one:).

As to booking through cruise line or independent, I do different things based on the port. When we have a long day in port I am more likely to go independent operators to get the best deal. Case in point we have booked a private dive/snorkel tour for six when we stop in Curacao in February. They'll pick us up at the dock and return us right there - very convenient;). Price is great too - will be $315 for all six of us equipment included:D. Last year while in Puerto Rico we were only there for like 6 hours, so we went with the ships tours because the time frame was a bit close for comfort. BUT the first cruise or two we did book through the cruise line until we weren't wet behind the ears anymore:cool:

Mr. Sanchos is a great place for a beach day you can do an all inclusive or just buy what you want .. it's clean and safe easy to get to by cab and plenty of shade if you don't want to sit out in the sun the whole time.

ok, it seems everyone think one day at the beach is great, then I will take the advice.

One more question, if we feel tired and bored, do we have to wait for the ship to pick us until the return time? I know the big ship will stop at the far and we take the small one to the Cozumel. That's why I'm wondering whether we can go back to the cruise ship anytime we want. thanks

Mr. Sanchos is a great place for a beach day you can do an all inclusive or just buy what you want .. it's clean and safe easy to get to by cab and plenty of shade if you don't want to sit out in the sun the whole time.

all inclusive sounds good. should I book ahead of time? any link? How much per person? thank you!

ok, it seems everyone think one day at the beach is great, then I will take the advice.

One more question, if we feel tired and bored, do we have to wait for the ship to pick us until the return time? I know the big ship will stop at the far and we take the small one to the Cozumel. That's why I'm wondering whether we can go back to the cruise ship anytime we want. thanks

here is the link http://www.mrsanchos.com/

to answer your other question in cozumel the ship pulls up to a pier and you walk off. It is not a tendered port you can go and come as you please.

I will chime in on saying that taking an excursion from Cozumel to Mayan ruins (on the mainland!) with a toddler is a BAD idea.

You want a nice beach or such NEAR the port, so that you can return to the ship easily if the child has a meltdown or otherwise changes your plans.

Unlike some others, I am no fan of Pancho's Backyard. We had terrible service and food that was nothing like the waiter's descriptions.

If you want free drinks, go into any jewelry store and act like you are serious about buying some large ticket item. They will serve you beer, soda, tequila, whatever you want, to keep you there. (this only works if you have willpower that is NOT dissolved by alcohol!)

Archived