Son had problem on the imagination

lennel

it makes no difference who dropped the plates, but in this case it was a year old. If someone spills water on the floor and you slip on it it is the fault of the store, if a worker comes to your house and gets hurt it is your fault, what is the difference here? Glass plates were dropped a person got hurt enough to go to the infirmary? If unbreakable paltes were there there would be no problem, they have plastic cups.

I am in the insurance industry and am involved with claims. In stores, in your home-if someone is hurt, many have what is called Medical Payments, which pays medical bills, no matter who is at fault. The only way to get anything for pain and suffering is if the place it happened, if they are libel-they are only libel if they did something wrong to cause the injury. Your son's fiance got medical treatment. , Case closed. Also, big stores like Walmart and probably cruise ships, do not carry Med Pay and you would have to prove neligience plus, there is probably language in the cruise contract that has you go through some type of legal process.

If a Carnival employee dropped something and caused your daughter in law to be injured, I absolutely agree there should be some type of compensation that is significant. Even if it was only swimming that was missed during her cruise, that may have been an important activity for her.

For all those folks who say accidents happen, just give me a break. If you were involved in a car accident, even a fender bender that caused some damage, you would want some type of compensation.

To give an obc would have been a great gesture of goodwill and I'm not talking about $25.00 or even $50.00. Folks at cc are the most go with the flow I've ever encountered, but just let some incident happen to you personally.

Except, no Carnival employee was stated to have dropped anything.

Can you imagine the fare increases we would be subjected to if Carnival compensated passengers every time another passengers actions adversely affected someone's cruise?

The cost to cruise would go up so high only the upper crust could afford to cruise...

Hey! I think we've found the solution to the "quality" issues...

I think part of the problem here is . . .the internet. Let me explain.

Years ago, I took my kids to a famous theme park. One evening my daughter was hit in the arm by a malfunctioning automatic door at our hotel. It left a bruise but otherwise she was OK. I reported the incident to the hotel manager so that he'd get the door fixed.

We spent the next day in the parks. Came back to our room and found a few gifts from the manager -- toys and t-shirts.

Made the mistake of discussing it in my trip report on a theme park message board.

Soon others were complaining that their trip wasn't "magical" because they didn't get the same treatment.

My guess is that D. . .the theme park is less free with such gestures these days. . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I think part of the problem here is . . .the internet. Let me explain.

Years ago, I took my kids to a famous theme park. One evening my daughter was hit in the arm by a malfunctioning automatic door at our hotel. It left a bruise but otherwise she was OK. I reported the incident to the hotel manager so that he'd get the door fixed.

We spent the next day in the parks. Came back to our room and found a few gifts from the manager -- toys and t-shirts.

Made the mistake of discussing it in my trip report on a theme park message board.

Soon others were complaining that their trip wasn't "magical" because they didn't get the same treatment.

My guess is that D. . .the theme park is less free with such gestures these days. . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

You're close, but it explodes with the Internet.

Mention free stuff, free perks, or how you got something for "free", it's like vultures come out of the woodwork.

In an odd way, it reminds me of Hallowe'en years ago. When word got out who was giving out the big candy bars, everyone headed for that house.

And that's what's being promoted the last 4 years is "where's mine?"

Can you imagine the fare increases we would be subjected to if Carnival compensated passengers every time another passengers actions adversely affected someone's cruise?

The cost to cruise would go up so high only the upper crust could afford to cruise...

Hey! I think we've found the solution to the "quality" issues...

I don't understand why so many here are so worried about Carnival practicing a little kindness toward an injured customer.

Let me ask how many of you have been hurt on board a ship through no fault of your own .

(Sunburns and overeating don't count.)

How much would a bottle of wine or some other token cost for each of these incidents?

For most of us the answer is zero because we have not been hurt on board.

This does not reward scammers! It merely makes an injured guest feel a bit better about the company they have spent their vacation $'s with.

Why does it bother so many that a few undeserved people may get something they don't deserve? So what !

I think it is in Carnivals interest to try and make their injured customers happier. It may not work but it is still a good idea.

You weren't there either, so how do YOU know the velocity of the broken glass shards.

I can't believe the rudeness of most that replied. I can understand that a holiday was marred by the accident.

I was on a cruise last year on a P&O ship, travelling with my sons family which included a toddler. On day 3 they had to replace the tile in the bathroom. The suite could not be used for 6 hours, on a sea day. Fortunately we had a second cabin where she could take her nap. On day 4, the carpet had to be replaced and again they had to use my cabin for her nap. Without asking, they gave us a $300 OBC for the inconvenience.

An injury was sustained by her DIL-to-be, through no fault of her own, which affected their holiday. A small goodwill gesture by CCL would NOT have been out of place.

Emi

You are comparing apples to oranges. In your case the cruiseline should have done something for you as it was their fault you had to be inconvenienced. In the OP's case, while it wasn't the GF's fault, it wasn't Carnivals either. Going after Carnival for compensation when they weren't at fault and in fact did pay for medical expenses for the GF seems pretty petty to me. IMHO the gesture of goodwill was taken care of when they treated the GF in the infirmary at Carnivals cost.

It's no wonder Carnival's customer service is poor (this is only one of many examples). Why should they go out of their way to provide good hospitality when most of you don't expect it? It even sounds like if the injured person DID get a free bottle of wine or steak dinner, you'd be miffed about it.

Why does it bother so many that a few undeserved people may get something they don't deserve? So what !

I think it is in Carnivals interest to try and make their injured customers happier. It may not work but it is still a good idea.

They got "free" medical care for something that was not Carnival's fault. I think that is payment enough. Having read these boards I find that many cruisers seem to be "looking" for something that will get them some attention from Carnival in the form of "free" something. It's like people who feel they are entitled to get something "extra" just because they purchased something in the first place....these are the passengers who spend hours at the car dealers and only leave happy when the salesman has added tinted windows, or a years worth of free oil changes. Then they feel like they have beat the system and are a VIP customer.

Lets look at some of the things passengers feel they should be rewarded for: coming back to the same cruiseline for a second cruise, choosing a cruise to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or wedding, getting preferential treatment after their guaranteed dinner time wasn't honored, spraining their ankle while running down the stairs (the cruise line should have known that would happen) money back for acts of nature like bad weather, wind, or rough seas, a cabin that didn't look exactly like the picture someone else had taken 10 years ago, having to wait while the steward remakes the bed 'cause it was set up as two twins and not a cozy king, not being the first on or off the ship even though they have sailed Carnival before and are a loyal customer. Come on, the list is endless and people are always looking for more things to complain about. Not being able to use the pool and not being able to swim in the ocean are just the tip of a pretty big ice-berg.

I don't understand why so many here are so worried about Carnival practicing a little kindness toward an injured customer.

Let me ask how many of you have been hurt on board a ship through no fault of your own .

(Sunburns and overeating don't count.)

How much would a bottle of wine or some other token cost for each of these incidents?

This does not reward scammers! It merely makes an injured guest feel a bit better about the company they have spent their vacation $'s with.

It doesn't bother me when a few undeserving people get a special perk from the cruiseline as a gift of goodwill. Bonus for them. It does bother me when a few undeserving people feel entitled to a perk they don't deserve and then come and complain when they don't get it. A gift of goodwill is exactly that and should not be expected but appreciated when given. Some peoples sense of entitlement amazes me sometimes. Would Carnival get kudo's if they had done something more for the GF than tend to her injuries? Yes. Should they get flamed for not doing more for the GF than tend her injuries? IMHO...No. OP feels GF was entitled to more just because she was injured on the ship. Many of us have a different opinion.

A token plate of sweets and/or a bottle of wine to "help the healing" may have gone far on the public relations end. Obviously the cruisers were not happy with their follow-up treatment - or their parental units weren't. Maybe a follow-up phone call from Guest Services or the Medical Center would have helped...

It's no wonder Carnival's customer service is poor (this is only one of many examples). Why should they go out of their way to provide good hospitality when most of you don't expect it? It even sounds like if the injured person DID get a free bottle of wine or steak dinner, you'd be miffed about it.

They did go out of their way to provide good hospitality by treating her injuries at their cost. Nothing more should have been expected. Anything more should have been praised as going beyond what was expected and beyond what the GF was entitled to from Carnival as they were not at fault. It is that sense of entitlement for something more than what is deserved that many of us have an issue with.

A token plate of sweets and/or a bottle of wine to "help the healing" may have gone far on the public relations end. Obviously the cruisers were not happy with their follow-up treatment - or their parental units weren't. Maybe a follow-up phone call from Guest Services or the Medical Center would have helped...

The original poster wanted compensation ($200) for not being able to use the pool (the only thing she "missed" on the ship itself). Carnival IS NOT responsible for what happens on shore excursions like walking great distances or diving into the ocean. They would have provided a wheel chair for use on the ship if the passenger wasn't able to walk at all, I'm sure, but the other stuff is just individual preferences that someone felt they should have had and didn't get. Its like saying everyone should be compensated for missing the pool if the weather was too cold for swimming.

I certainly don't expect them to compensate me for something that was outside of their control and wasn't their fault. Something tells me that had the OP's son and fiance received anything other than the free visit to the medical center we would not have heard about it, except in a post complaining that it was too little (after all, the OP feels that a $200 credit is sufficient compensation).

Yeah, if they did this for everyone with a boo boo it would cost them "zero" because they would just increase the cost of the cruise to cover it.

The author of this post ended by saying "What do you think?" Well, if you review all the replies, the majority say you don't have much of a case. Some are sympathic but very few agree with you. So I think you have the verdict.

You will never enjoy another Carnival cruise so I suggest you cruise again but definitely with another line. I too side with the sympathic replies but with zero compensation. I don't want my next cruise fares to increase on account of broken dishes.

I wouldn't call that "going out of their way". Providing basic first aid is the least they could have done. An additional treat would be "good hospitality".

Basic first aid would have been provided by a crew member, they received professional care provided by a medical doctor.

I wouldn't call that "going out of their way". Providing basic first aid is the least they could have done. An additional treat would be "good hospitality".

That, it seems, is a matter of opinion. My opinion is different than yours. If I were injured at someones home, by the actions of a child of another guest, I would not dream of holding the home owner responsible for my injuries and would profusely decline any offer to help pay for the medical expenses to treat the injury by the home owner since it was not their fault. IMHO that would be beyond "good hospitality" on their part and I could not, in good conscience, hold them responsible for an accident caused by a child they had no control over. Why should we hold Carnival more accountable....because they have more money:rolleyes:? Having the means doesn't make them accountable and responsible for the actions of others.

On our last cruise on the Glory, we were on the ramp to get back on the ship. An older women riding one of those scooters ran into and over my daughter (17). Her leg was all cut up and bruised for the rest of the cruise. Nothing serious. But I was madder then a hornet. The lady never apologized. It was an accident! It never crossed our minds to try and get an obc or a credit for a future cruise. What for? Carnival didn't do anything wrong. The older lady didn't do it on purpose.

To many people in todays world are looking for something for nothing.

~Sweet~

How is it poor service? They were provided medical care, it was not Carnivals fault that another guest dropped some plates. There is not a steakhouse on Imagination... Where do you want them to get their free steak?

No it wasn't the woman's fault her leg was injured but it wasn't Carnival's either. Maybe the child's father should have bought her a bottle of wine.

I'm curious as to how a plate falling off of a counter (not thrown with a lot of force) could cut somebody standing nearby so badly? I've dropped a few breakable items before and have seen many dropped but dont recall anybody being CUT so bad that it would keep them from having a good vacation. Seen a few minor scratches that at most might require a band aide.....but as serious as being told here? Possible I guess...but highly unlikely I would think.

Oh, it's possible. I've seen my Corelle cups fall and bounce, but then there was the one time that a Corelle plate fell out of a cupboard from a height of about 2 feet, split in 2 and slice my foot enough to need stitches. Just sayin'...poo happens.

...oh, and I think that free medical care was big enough compensation. Personally, I wouldn't have even expected that. I would have cleaned myself up and stuck on my own bandaids.

I'm 99.9% sure that any buffet staff who was nearby was very solicious and that the medical staff was kind and caring.

I am in the insurance industry and am involved with claims. In stores, in your home-if someone is hurt, many have what is called Medical Payments, which pays medical bills, no matter who is at fault. The only way to get anything for pain and suffering is if the place it happened, if they are libel-they are only libel if they did something wrong to cause the injury. Your son's fiance got medical treatment. , Case closed. Also, big stores like Walmart and probably cruise ships, do not carry Med Pay and you would have to prove neligience plus, there is probably language in the cruise contract that has you go through some type of legal process.
I would think that someone "in the insurance industry" would know the difference between libel (defined as defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures) and liable (An obligation that legally binds an individual or company to settle a debt).

Archived