Trip to England without flying?

The Real PM

If you check the July dates there is a 7 day gap between the end of one EB (July 6-13) and the start of the next WB (July 20) when QM2 goes to the Fjords.

If you are time constrained, QM2 is really the best show in town - other crossings typically take 10+ days and are between southern ports - eg Miami > Med.

Peter, I want to thank you very much for the information. I have checked everything out and we have decided to do the two transatlantics in July. There is a Cunard sale right now that we plan to take advantage of. So come July we are off on "the best show in town". I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!

Gail:)

I found driving on the left very easy. Somehow, with the position of the driver's seat, it just made sense. I loved roundabouts and it seemed much easier to me. If I missed my turn I just had to go around again! The way the roundabouts merge into the road helps to remind you to stay on the left. The British drivers are the most considerate I've ever seen. Although driving in central London would not be high on my to-do list, I have had to do it a few times picking up or dropping off rental cars. If I gave a signal to change lanes or turn someone would always let me in. I was impressed.

I have toured Britain on coach tours, by rail (with a Britrail pass) and in a rental car.They each have their pros and cons. If you want to see many small, "typically British" villages you may have to rent a car. You still won't be able to see everything but that is just a good excuse to visit again, and again, and again!

Kathi

I wonder if you rented a stick shift? And if you did, did you find that difficult with everything else. It has been sometime since we have driven a standard transmission car.

I wonder if you rented a stick shift? And if you did, did you find that difficult with everything else. It has been sometime since we have driven a standard transmission car.

Us Brits get a bit funny about stick shifts, as you call them:D If you have only ever driven automatics, you may not have a choice what you drive here and may have to drive an auto, although I am not 100% on that. I do know that we have two driving tests here, one for auto and one for manual gear box. A person passing their test in an auto is not allowed to drive a manual, extra pedal and all. Oh, we drive on the correct side here:D

Us Brits get a bit funny about stick shifts, as you call them:D If you have only ever driven automatics, you may not have a choice what you drive here and may have to drive an auto, although I am not 100% on that. I do know that we have two driving tests here, one for auto and one for manual gear box. A person passing their test in an auto is not allowed to drive a manual, extra pedal and all. Oh, we drive on the correct side here:D

Well, we both know how to drive standards, we have had a couple of cars with standard transmissions. But it has been quite a few years. Just out of curiosity, is the clutch positioned so you use your right foot? And is your left foot used for the gas?

We don't have separate tests for what type of transmission we drive. I learned after I got my first car and just bump, bump, bumped along, ending up with the car just went backwards when I try to get up a steep hill. Nothing like on the job training is there?:)

Well, we both know how to drive standards, we have had a couple of cars with standard transmissions. But it has been quite a few years. Just out of curiosity, is the clutch positioned so you use your right foot? And is your left foot used for the gas?

We don't have separate tests for what type of transmission we drive. I learned after I got my first car and just bump, bump, bumped along, ending up with the car just went backwards when I try to get up a steep hill. Nothing like on the job training is there?:)

No, the left foot operates the clutch and the brake and accelerator are done by the right foot

No, the left foot operates the clutch and the brake and accelerator are done by the right foot

Well, that is better than what I was thinking. So if we have to we can, but it probably would be easier if we could rent an automatic and try hard to stay on the right or is it left side of the road?:)

England is just one part of the UK by the way. The terms are not actually interchangeable! By all means spend time in England but be sure to check out Scotland, Wales and Ireland if you really are visiting the UK

Yes, I know, but I just say it once in a while. But wouldn't it be like people saying they are going to the US when they are really only going to New York?

Oh and Scotland is another one of my lifelong dreams--after England. But with only a week I thought I wouldn't be doing either of them justice if I did them both.

Well, that is better than what I was thinking. So if we have to we can, but it probably would be easier if we could rent an automatic and try hard to stay on the right or is it left side of the road?:)

Automatics are reasonably available sometimes, I recommend that you just drive on the correct side.:)

I hope to, but if I have to many things to think about, it might be difficult--I don't multitask very well!!!:eek:

Just drive in the middle like we do.

Oh, and before I forget, honking your horn and waving your fingers in the air is our method of expressing appreciation.

Sir Martin

For those interested in a RT TA departing from NY with time on the other side of the pond following is the 2013 QM2 TA schedule:

Depart NY # Nights in Europe Arrive NY

03 May _________ 15 ______ 01 June

01 June_______ 16________ 01 July

06 July_______ 6________ 27 July

27 July_______ 5 _______ 15 August

15 August _______ 11 _______ 10 September

22 September_______ 9 _______ 15 October

27 October _______ 8 _______ 19 November

19 November _______ 19 _______ 15 December

If you drive in the UK be careful about those roundabouts! They can be a bit tricky, especially the big ones!

Peter, I want to thank you very much for the information. I have checked everything out and we have decided to do the two transatlantics in July. There is a Cunard sale right now that we plan to take advantage of. So come July we are off on "the best show in town". I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!

Gail:)

Good choice! Have fun planning the details of your adventure:)

I always rented manual transmission because they were easier to find at a reasonable price. I learned to drive on one and although I hadn't owned one in a number of years it came right back to me. None of the companies I rented from ever asked if I knew how to drive manual transmission. I had no issues with the left side of the road and the fact that you shift with your left hand made sense. The fact that the pedals were all in the same order meant there was no learning curve there.

Every once in awhile I have minor issues with Reverse vs. the Forward gear next to it but otherwise the adjustment to shifting a stick with my left hand is no big deal.

On some cars I occasionally turn on the wipers rather than the turn signal...

I always rented manual transmission because they were easier to find at a reasonable price. I learned to drive on one and although I hadn't owned one in a number of years it came right back to me. None of the companies I rented from ever asked if I knew how to drive manual transmission. I had no issues with the left side of the road and the fact that you shift with your left hand made sense. The fact that the pedals were all in the same order meant there was no learning curve there.

What is a reasonable price? And will our own insurance suffice over there?

Every once in awhile I have minor issues with Reverse vs. the Forward gear next to it but otherwise the adjustment to shifting a stick with my left hand is no big deal.

On some cars I occasionally turn on the wipers rather than the turn signal...

The placement of the gears when you shift must be opposite of what we have over here?

What is a reasonable price? And will our own insurance suffice over there?
AutoEurope.com is a good place to shop for car rentals. You'll be renting from a major company like National/Europcar or Avis, but they're an agency much like insuremytrip is an agency for insurance. You just need to rent for at least 3 days to use them.

EDIT: AutoEurope doesn't tell you who you're renting from until you've paid for a reservation, but you can usually figure it out by the agency location/address, and the reservations are cancelable/refundable.

EDIT AGAIN: one-way rentals (e.g., pick up in southampton, drop at Heathrow) are easy and cheap with AutoEurope as long as you drop in the same country where you picked up.

An automatic transmission might add 50-100% to the price.

My insurance company doesn't cover me in Europe, but you have some options other than collision damage waiver, such as credit card coverage or travel insurance coverage.

1st is still to the left and up, and when reverse is way to the left and up you can see how it might be possible to mix the two once in awhile.

While the forward gears are all pretty standard, reverse varies considerably eg on my car, a manual, reverse is all the way right and backward towards the rear of the car. Don't assume all are the same - check before you drive away.

Yes, I know, but I just say it once in a while. But wouldn't it be like people saying they are going to the US when they are really only going to New York?

Er no. Scotland is a whole country not just a city! By all means come over here and welcome but be prepared for a pretty frosty reception if you just assume Scotland is a part of England

Er no. Scotland is a whole country not just a city! By all means come over here and welcome but be prepared for a pretty frosty reception if you just assume Scotland is a part of England

Thank you - please rest assured however, that I am well acquainted with the geopolitical structure of the United Kingdom and the interrelationship of its constituent nations. But then, in that regard, I have had the most wonderful instructor whose boardname speaks of a mountain overlooking "the braes abune Bonawe"). When I wrote that "In 2013 my husband and I plan to visit England..." I meant just that - no more and no less.

And. . . New York is a state and is one of the 50 states that make up the United States of America just as Scotland is one of the countries that make up the United Kingdom..

Anyway I meant no offense. I apologize if you took it that way.

Archived