seeking advice re Alaska cruise

angeleyes1

The most important thing about Alaska is that you must do shore excursions. Everything majestic and beautiful can only be found away from the ports from float planes to Misty Fjords to helicopters to glaciers for dog sledding to whale watching boat trips to bear spotting tours. Personally, I recommend finding private tour operators in each port as you can save money by not using ship's tours. The nest source for these is the Alaska board in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. You will find endless information there. You might also want to go to the Roll Call board and communicate with others on your individual cruise. You might be able to find others with whom you can share private tours.

If it is raining, have a pair of rain boots, as your feet can get very wet. This is a temperate rain forest and it can really rain.

Juneau, if you want to go up the mountain, do on your own as the cruise tour is too expensive. If you want to see the glaciers, you will have to fly and I suggest you look for a private tour.

It is a beautiful state and you will appreciate the naturalness. Don't expect to see lots of wildlife as it tends to hide when people are around.

First I love Oceania, however in this region Holland America takes the cake as they have all the permits and docking all sewed up, same with the tours. Holland was the pioneer in this region and has exclusive permits to places like Glacier Bay National park, which Oceania can not get...

Holland is the player here Oceania, Celeb,Regent are recent ARRIVALS

Seriously they have the game sewed up tight and have all the operators under contract. The nicer ship will not be allowed in the nicer places... thats reality

Princess began an Alaska service in the late sixties. HAL in 1975. We did our first Alaska in 1979 on Sun Princess and I can remember only Princess and HAL ships in ports. Those were the good days; now nothing but a traffic jam.

Princess is the premier provider in Alaska. I just returned from my second Princess cruise tour. Princess owns four or five different hotel and resort properties for their guest during the land portion. They have an efficient and organized system of transporting the group and bags from one location to the next without ever having to check in at a hotel or shlep a suitcase. I particularly like Sapphire Princess on this itinerary because of the indoor swimming pool.

Don't think the OP is interested in who, in your opinion does Alaska "best."

They have already smartly decided on Oceania.

We were on Regatta and had good births in every port. The advice above on clothing and boots is what I too would recommend.

As for touring, every port had tour guides at the piers willing to take you anywhere you wanted either alone or in small groups. We did all private tour, some booked at the pier, for great prices and no waiting or wasted time. All the towns were right at the pier but hardly worth your time unless you are souvenir shoppers. Only Sitka was worth some browsing IMHO because the town is unique. Enjoy your cruise.

Don't think the OP is interested in who, in your opinion does Alaska "best."

They have already smartly decided on Oceania.

We were on Regatta and had good births in every port. The advice above on clothing and boots is what I too would recommend.

As for touring, every port had tour guides at the piers willing to take you anywhere you wanted either alone or in small groups. We did all private tour, some booked at the pier, for great prices and no waiting or wasted time. All the towns were right at the pier but hardly worth your time unless you are souvenir shoppers. Only Sitka was worth some browsing IMHO because the town is unique. Enjoy your cruise.

Princess is the premier provider in Alaska. I just returned from my second Princess cruise tour. Princess owns four or five different hotel and resort properties for their guest during the land portion. They have an efficient and organized system of transporting the group and bags from one location to the next without ever having to check in at a hotel or shlep a suitcase. I particularly like Sapphire Princess on this itinerary because of the indoor swimming pool.

You are so correct. Princess owns Alaska if it is a cruise/tour you want; best hotels and locations. Ships not shabby, either.:)

When I did Alaska on the Regatta in every port we were docked next to a Princess or HAL ship and I would see long lines of passengers waiting to get back on those ships. They would have to wait a half hour or more just to reboard while we strolled on and off the Regatta at will. I'll take O over a mega ship any time.

I reiteriate the premier sight in Alaska along the route is Glacier Bay National Park and reserve... its an entire day of sailing in and around numerous calving glaciers... It the most impressive place you can see short of Denali and thats what crusing Alaska is all about...

Only Princess, Holland and NCL have permits... no other ship or line will get permission to even get within 30 miles of the place... Thats a fact.

Of those ships Holland is the most Regent/Oceania like being smaller in the 1300 pax range NCl and Princess are in the 3000 range so if you want the smaller ship experience that is what I would consider.

I like Oceania... Love it, Regent too. However in this locale you will get shortchanged over what you could have seen and experienced if you take them. That is reality.

Others say they had a good time, yet they had no idea of what they missed. The raiting of good time is subjective to what one experiences with or without knowing the objective points.

Archived