Must do/see in Anchorage

Radioguyaz

We liked walking around downtown Anchorage; going to the museums; visiting the ULU factory and walking Ship Creek; and walking part of the Tony Knowles trail.

5-4.jpg

We got our rental at the airport and visited Earthquake park and the other park almost beside it [i think it was listed as the airport park] on the way to our hotel. Earthquake park has good signage and a walking trail--but, it is not too special. The other park has a very nice view of the Anchorage skyline.

1-3.jpg

We also saw Mt. McKinley from there. [it was an unusually good viewing day)

3-5.jpg

Eat once at Humpy's--an Anchorage highlight.I had salmon fish and chips.

We visited Alyeska and rode the tram to eat lunch at the top of the mountain [a highlight] about 45 minutes south of Anchorage. Our favorite trip was to Matanuska glacier at mile marker 102 on the Glen highway. The drive was beautiful.

5-5.jpg

We were too late in the season to see the independence mine [closes on Labor Day].

You can walk on the glacier. They have tours led by guides. We did not take a tour. We viewed from the Longrifle lodge. [great food and interesting decor]

7-3.jpg

All of the gray "dirt" in the foreground is glacial silt and part of the glacier

"must do/must see"? That depends on what interests you. My "must do" list will look different than yours since my interests are different.

So true-- everyone has different interests. but, it helps to hear from others what they liked and why. I might not want to do that--but, at least I am aware of the activity.

Before we visited AK I did a ton of planning. But, nothing I had read made we want to visit the Matanuska Glacier. We did it only because one member of our small group got sick and did not feel they were up to the glacier cruise from Whittier. We felt a driving tour would be better. It was really just something to do to not waste our day. Yet, it was such a good trip. We loved the scenic drive, the Long Rifle Roadhouse for lunch [think stuffed animals and animal heads everywhere] and we stopped at the historic park on the way back.

If someone is not into any of these they know not to do this.:p

So true-- everyone has different interests. but, it helps to hear from others what they liked and why. I might not want to do that--but, at least I am aware of the activity.

That is why in the first reply BQ posted the link to ALL the activities in the city. Then the OP is aware of all the activities, not just the ones people randomly post on this thread :p

"must do/must see"? That depends on what interests you. My "must do" list will look different than yours since my interests are different.

I can sure smile to this, as Anchorage residents, what I like to do and what my husband likes to do, are so different, but here's a few of our activities if we have 3 or so hours to kill;

me - escape Anchorage for a few hours brings me to Hatcher's Pass Mine outside of Palmer. I also like to stop and see the 'Spirit Houses' at the Eklutna exit. Now - my husband - he enjoys Anchorage he would rather watch planes come/go at Point Woranzof then walk the trails along the inlet. I'm a museum buff - and he won't go into the museum... 'boring'... I like to watch migratory birds (and look for swans) at Potter's Marsh right outside of Anchorage, while he would rather drive to Flat top mountain and hike... I don't like to hike...

so 'yes'.. depends on who you ask.. :)

Archived