Summer clothes for San Diego stay pre cruise in Jan/Feb?

supered1

Hi,

My DH and I have 2 nights pre cruise in San Diego at the end of January before cruise to Hawaii with Celebrity Century and 1 night post cruise. What should I pack for this time of year? We will be sightseeing and out for dinner. As we will be leaving the UK in the middle of winter, we'll be wearing cold weather clothes. I'd rather not unpack our big cases full of cruise wear and hope to get away with "stuff" in our carry on bags.

Basically, I'm wondering how nice the weather might be, considering it's California:)!!

I've only just found the fashion and beauty forum and having a great time reading all the posts, especially the photos of outfits. All the shops you mention, are new to me. Though we do have Clarks shoes, mostly all I wear.

Trying to decide what to take for a cruise to Hawaii, with 9 sea days is something else!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

We cruised out of San Diego in Feb 2010 and Nov 20?? :) The first time, I was surprised to find that my summer clothing was not appropriate -- the locals were wearing sweaters (jumpers) and mid weight pants or skirts. There is usually a bit of a breeze from the ocean and a bit of dampness in the air. First trip I took linen pants. Not a good idea :) ; the second trip I had a cashmere sweater, a couple of t-shirts, and jeans. I wore sandals, but didn't see any of the locals in sandals.

The weather will be a HUGE improvement over what you would have at home, but it is not tropical by any means. So, as I do for all my travel now, I take layers. T-shirt, sweater, a light jacket (mine is hooded and rainproof), and jeans or cotton pants.

I hope this helps :)

San Diego has some of the best year round weather, but you can never know what it will be like until a few days in advance. We're about an hour north of SD and love to go down there year round, I typically dress the same as I would here.

We have temps ranging from the low 50's (f) all the way to the 90's. We sometimes have rain, sometimes sunny, sometimes gray and overcast. Sorry to say, but there's just no way to predict. I suggest you go to weather.com a couple days before you leave to see what the current trend will be. I willl say that even when we have sunny and warm weather during the day, it will cool down quite a bit in the evening.

We were in San Diego last March....who says it "never rains in S. California"? It rained the entire time, and was about 56 degrees....not at ALL what I was expecting. Nope...so far, California does NOT have my vote for good weather!

Thank you to all who replied to my post. I think the advice, be prepared for cold and wet, check the weather before we leave is what we will do. Jeans, sweaters, jackets seems a good idea. As we leave the UK in winter, I'll also have, hat, gloves and scarf! However, fingers crossed it will be "spring like" and we can enjoy our sight seeing trip around San Diego before we embark the following day. We hope to make use of the Hop on off trolley bus and have a great time.

I would leave the hat and scarf at home if you can get from your car to the airline terminal without them. At least that's what I did in Michigan in winter when we went on cruises. Also wore a light jacket with a sweater underneath instead of a heavy winter coat.

When we sailed out of San Diego in early Jan 2008 it was raining and 50F. Cold and nasty. The weather was so bad our first night out that the decks were closed and many of the passengers were sick. DH, who never gets seasick, was even a little green that night. We had to buy sweatshirts to be comfortable on deck when they opened. Didn't pack cold weather clothes thinking we wouldn't need them on a South Pacific/Hawaii cruise. When we returned at the end of the month the weather was gorgeous.

Archived