Bar credit coupons? Help me understand...

cnvh

I'm thinking about ordering some bar credit coupons ahead of our cruise in December, and it appears the coupons are only good towards drinks not more than $5.75.

However, it appears there really isn't much even AVAILABLE for under $5.75, except some beers, a handful of wines, and some drinks on the rocks-- NONE of the mixed drinks appear to even be close to the credit coupon costs! :confused:

Am I missing something?? The credit coupons say "gratuities included," but it seems to me that if you wanted to order any of the 90% of bar items that cost more than the allotted amount, I assume you'd pay the difference (and probably gratuities) on your S&S card.

So are the bar credit coupons worth the hassle?

I'm thinking about ordering some bar credit coupons ahead of our cruise in December, and it appears the coupons are only good towards drinks not more than $5.75.

However, it appears there really isn't much even AVAILABLE for under $5.75, except some beers, a handful of wines, and some drinks on the rocks-- NONE of the mixed drinks appear to even be close to the credit coupon costs! :confused:

Am I missing something?? The credit coupons say "gratuities included," but it seems to me that if you wanted to order any of the 90% of bar items that cost more than the allotted amount, I assume you'd pay the difference (and probably gratuities) on your S&S card.

If you order a beverage that costs more than $5.75, your S&S will be charged only the amount over $5.75, plus 15% of the overage.

The coupons are more of a budgeting tool than anything else. You basically are saving 15% of $5.75 on each one.

You do save a little but to answer your last question, to me they are not worth the hassle

We're not heavy drinkers; there's no way the Unlimited Bar program (if it's even rolled out on the Pride by December) would be a deal for us, since I can't imagine us drinking more than 2-3 drinks per day.

Since hubby is footing the S&S bill, perhaps I'll pre-purchase a few of these anyway to help ease the sting later. :)

I bought one pack last cruise to see how I liked them.. and loved them! Plan on buying a few packs of them this time. Even though I did pay in advance for them, almost feels like I am getting free or reduced price drinks on the ship. :D

And it can be a payday treat to myself to know that I am sending myself a 'present' that will be delivered to me the first day of the cruise.

I bought one pack last cruise to see how I liked them.. and loved them! Plan on buying a few packs of them this time. Even though I did pay in advance for them, almost feels like I am getting free or reduced price drinks on the ship. :D

And it can be a payday treat to myself to know that I am sending myself a 'present' that will be delivered to me the first day of the cruise.

I know what you mean, it does feel like your getting free drinks. I used them a few weeks ago for the first time and i never paid more than 2 bucks for a drink, i'm hooked on these babies now.:)

It breaks down like this:

Drink without coupon:

$5.75

+ .86 (15% tip)

$6.61 total price per drink

Drink bought with drink coupon:

$5.75

.00 ( tip is included in drink coupon)

$5.75 total price for drink

So you do save a total of 86 cents for a drink that is bought with the drink coupon. If you buy a drink that costs extra...such as a Fosters beer that is $6.75 then you pay the $1.00 difference and the tip of 15% on the $1.00 for a total of $1.15 charged to your S & S card.

I have used them on our three cruises and find them very handy. I like not having to add the few drinks we have to the Sign and Sail card. I do have seven left from our last cruises, so I will have coupons to use on the Sail Away.

If you order, they deliver them to you at dinner the first night.

For the last cruise, I also bought a pre-paid photo coupon. I always buy the embarkation photo for my scrapbook. It was nice to have that all paid for.

You have nothing to loose, why not give them a try.

I love them as they keep my sign and sail bill low.

I learned on my first cruise how fast you can run up a s&s bill. I have some left over from last year and I ordered a few more for this cruise. I even used several to buy a bottle of wine. I also used two to buy a Miami Vice and a shot of taquila. I picked up a couple strips of soda tickets for my son who also have some left over from last year.

Order a strip or two and try them out.

How close to your cruise can you purchase them?

Not sure about the latest you can order, but as far as earliest, as long as you have a booking number you can order.

What happens if you do Anytime Dining (as we will be doing)?

When you show up at the dining room you have to go the hostess stand to be seated. They will have it noted on their list and give you the coupons then. If they don't, just ask.

you can purchase these up to 7 days before your cruise.

i buy funship dollars now so i dont have to figure out math using coupons onboard.

funship dollars are good for everything onboard not just drinks.

for my first cruise we got tons of these coupons....back in 2000 they cost 15.00 for 4.

i am still using those coupons. that is how many my family got because we thought we needed that many lol we are not drinkers

Archived