Hotels in Amsterdam

workstocruise

Can anyone recommend some hotels in central Amsterdam that we could walk to some sights. We are thinking of cruising on the Constellation next May and would like to spend one or two nights in the city before we sail. I'm looking for a reasonable priced one if that's possible.:confused:

Can anyone recommend some hotels in central Amsterdam that we could walk to some sights. We are thinking of cruising on the Constellation next May and would like to spend one or two nights in the city before we sail. I'm looking for a reasonable priced one if that's possible.:confused:

:cool:I researched quite a while and the best I came up with is the Hotel Fita. Very well recommended, reasonable, good location, and includes breakfast. I'll be there in Aug 13:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I just stayed at Swissotel in Amsterdam on 10/10 and 10/11 and it was great. Centrally located - right on Dam Square. Down the street from Central Station (maybe 5 minute walk) and on the tram line (right out front of the hotel). To get to the port from the hotel you hop on the tram and transfer to the 26 tram line at central.

Hotel had free internet with the level of room I purchased (i think I did some business level) and it was very cost effective. We paid 507 total for 2 nights, so 257ish per night. And this was for a higher level room with the free internet (though it was 1 device at a time for some reason).

Amsterdam will now hold a special place in my heart regardless...as I got engaged there on 10/11/12 ;-) In that very hotel as a matter of fact! lol

We will be there May 18 - 20 and I had some challenges finding a hotel because several of the ones I checked had no rooms available for those dates. I'm not sure what is going on at that time but it may be related to the large anniversary celebration. Regardless, you may want to book something as soon as possible if those are your dates. BTW - I booked the Rho Hotel based on info I found on Trip Adviser.

Good luck!

In September, 2012, I stayed at the Movenpick Hotel. Breakfast included which was very good and lots of choice. Rooms were very nice. Close proximity to the cruise port and train station. Walking distance to Dam Square (10-15 minutes). Walked from the Rijksmuseum but it was a very long walk on a very hot day. Tram service was great though (just make sure you have exact change). Certainly would recommend this hotel. Probably not one of the cheapest hotels, but centrally located

We will be there May 18 - 20 and I had some challenges finding a hotel because several of the ones I checked had no rooms available for those dates. I'm not sure what is going on at that time but it may be related to the large anniversary celebration. Regardless, you may want to book something as soon as possible if those are your dates. BTW - I booked the Rho Hotel based on info I found on Trip Adviser.

Good luck!

The beginning of May sees some of the biggest events on the Amsterdam calendar. On May 1, the Van Gogh Museum will reopen, while on May 4 and 5 the National Remembrance Day and Liberation Day celebrations take place. On May 15, the Amsterdam Arena will host the final of the UEFA Europa League.

Anyone looking for hotels in Amsterdam around these dates may want to book hotel space now.

Amsterdam is a compact city, most sights are not that far apart.

Also public transport is excellent.

Movenpick Hotel is right above the cruise terminal with a tramstop in front to get to Centraal Station.

From CS it is easy to make a canalcruise, visit Anne Frankhuis (Make reservations online to skip the often long lines).

For the museums either take a tram or walk along the canals.

Around CS you will find hotels like Barbizon Palace, Victoria, Renaissance, Bellevue, to name just a few.

I was in Amsterdam in September (my 11th trip) and rented a house boat on the Brouwersgracht. It was excellent value and we enjoyed having a kitchen and be able to make our own breakfast. The pricing was also cheaper than any decent hotel we could find. Amsterdam is not a cheap hotel city, or rather there are *many* cheap hotels but they cater to backpackers and students.

Right across from Centraal Station - walkable from the cruise port. Transportation hub for all of Amsterdam - we took trams all over the city. Super convenient to Schipol Airport. Lots of tour boats right at the door. It was a bit of a splurge - $530 for two nights with all taxes in May 2012.

If that is a bit much - there is an IBIS hotel right across the street - more behind Centraal. They are usually much more reasonable. We have not stayed in that particular one but have stayed in quite a number around Europe and have found then to be super cool and super clean.

The next time we go to Amsterdam we will try them out.

I recommend Hotel Zandbergen, which I stayed at this past April. It's a small family-run hotel in the museum district, right next to the Vondelpark. Rates were very reasonable and the owner is delightful and very helpful. Breakfast is included. Rooms are small but ours had a large balcony (#5 maybe?) that would be great if the weather cooperates (we had driving rain the whole time, unfortunately). There was also a tram stop right outside the hotel.

Thanks for the update regarding events in Amsterdam. We were there last year and had no problem finding hotels but when the first 6 or 7 hotels I tried to book for next May had no rooms available I knew there had to be something important going on. I can only imagine how crowded the restaurants might be!

Thanks for the update regarding events in Amsterdam. We were there last year and had no problem finding hotels but when the first 6 or 7 hotels I tried to book for next May had no rooms available I knew there had to be something important going on. I can only imagine how crowded the restaurants might be!

This is what cruise critic is all about; to try and help other cruisers. Glad I was of some assistance to you and hopefully others as well.

Good luck with your search. Perhaps you will post on this thread when you find suitable accommodation.

In any case, enjoy your cruise. Absolutely love Amsterdam.

:cool:I researched quite a while and the best I came up with is the Hotel Fita. Very well recommended, reasonable, good location, and includes breakfast. I'll be there in Aug 13:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I stayed at the Hotel Fita last May 2012 & would NOT stay there again. The rooms are big and clean and their pancakes are to die for...but...their elevator will only hold THREE people. Their stairs are steep, narrow only enough room for 1 person to go down/up at a time. The hotel is only close to the Van Gough museum. There's a expensive Coffee Shop & Pompa's Restaurant nearby but everything else is a long walk or cab ride:(

Archived