Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

hey guys. just got off the phone with my mom (the beauty of ipads)

here's another update... and i asked my mom about the rumors flying around on here, none of which are true.

first... windjammer and johnny rockets is closed.

they had winds in excess of 80mph and are still heading south as far as she could tell, they have not yet turned east towards bermuda.

they're doing a lot better now than they were earlier. (my dad is even much less green, although he's spent hte last two days in bed :( makes me sad )

there's no room service. only the main dining rooms, and they're serving cold cuts off trays in the promenade.

all the rumors regarding water are 150% lies, there is no shortage of water. they are giving out water to everyone who wants it, there is plenty of water.

there is not enough hot food between meals, there's some, but not enough to go around.

my mom expects if they can't get the windjammer operating, they will fly everyone home from bermuda. but that is her speculation. or board the windows up so it's usable.

they are serving pizza.

she has no idea how many windows were broken out, and she doesn't know if people were in there when it happened.

she also says everyone's okay now. the seas have calmed and they're doing a lot better. she's going to try and find out some more information for when she contacts me later tonight.

Looks like some of it is not rummor if she confrimed windjammeretc closed . I spoke to a friend who's parents are on this cruise, she said they have been given bottled water and told not to drink ship's water? I was a little confused about that.

Looks like some of it is not rummor if she confrimed windjammeretc closed . I spoke to a friend who's parents are on this cruise, she said they have been given bottled water and told not to drink ship's water? I was a little confused about that.

the rumor i was insinuating was that they weren't being given any water and people were severely dehydrated. the windjammer actually happened.

Gina Marie... I'm Betty's daughter I think your dad and family are cruising with my mom and aunt. I just heard from them and they are ok. They've made it through the worst and are on their way to Bermuda. They should get there ontime. It was rough sailing earlier this morning but better now. The kitchen isn't serving anything but sandwiches.

My name is Agnes--I know how you feel. :p

Boy, do I remember her. That was a long time ago.:p We really got the brunt of that hurricane. The worst we ever went through since I was a kid and hurricane Hazel, in the 50's. I know I am dating myself, but I was just a wee kid then......;)

I remember too, I was a junior in high school:) Seriously, I hope everyone stays safe.

I have been reading this thread just to see how the ships & pax have fared. We have never sailed during hurricane season but have given it thought well knowing we would be taking our chances are far as weather, cancelled ports, etc. That said, your reply is rather sarcastic and unnecessary. I assume most people (cruising) would consider hurricane season to be in its prime mid-late August through early October. True they can happen at any given time. Your comment just really irritated me. As do people who always feel the need to quirp something smart -a$$.

Why? I stated a fact. Hurricane season is more than 6 months out of the year. You can "consider" it to be whenever you want, but the fact is it is what it is.

Why? I stated a fact. Hurricane season is more than 6 months out of the year. You can "consider" it to be whenever you want, but the fact is it is what it is.

I suppose you can consider hurricane season to be for 6 months since in the last 160 years, there has been 4 in May and 32 in June.

My husband and I were on a cruise several years ago the week before Thanksgiving. While unusual, it's not unheard of. Other than the first port (Eleuthra (sp), we had great weather on our "mystery" cruise. Each day the captain would announce where we were, where the hurricane was, and where we would be heading. It was a lot of fun, unlike the ships passengers are experiencing this week. Prayers to all.

I have been reading this thread just to see how the ships & pax have fared. We have never sailed during hurricane season but have given it thought well knowing we would be taking our chances are far as weather, cancelled ports, etc. That said, your reply is rather sarcastic and unnecessary. I assume most people (cruising) would consider hurricane season to be in its prime mid-late August through early October. True they can happen at any given time. Your comment just really irritated me. As do people who always feel the need to quirp something smart -a$$.

hey everyone.

sorry for the delay. we no longer have power and the storm is really picking up (who'd have known the real punch is 15 hours after it started?)

just spoke with my mom again (briefly my phones having troubles with this storm now). the windjammer is open again. the seas are still rocky but nothing like they were. the masses are now happy and fed.

they are giving out bottled water -- but they're no longer saying don't drink from the fountains etc.

I'll get another update from her at 11am tomorrow. looks like they're going to at least get to enjoy some of their vacation now.

goodnight all. and I hope everyone stays warm and dry.

Xitappers2bx: thanks so much for giving the reports of EOS, & how your family is doing. I wish them safe travels. And I hope you do we'll in Philly . I have lots of family in Philly & WilkesBarre. We had a storm many years ago on the Norway, but wasn't too bad. Keep us posted & thanks again.

hey everyone.

sorry for the delay. we no longer have power and the storm is really picking up (who'd have known the real punch is 15 hours after it started?)

just spoke with my mom again (briefly my phones having troubles with this storm now). the windjammer is open again. the seas are still rocky but nothing like they were. the masses are now happy and fed.

they are giving out bottled water -- but they're no longer saying don't drink from the fountains etc.

I'll get another update from her at 11am tomorrow. looks like they're going to at least get to enjoy some of their vacation now.

goodnight all. and I hope everyone stays warm and dry.

Thanks again to you and your mother, she's making a lot of people state side feel better. I'm in Burlington, not far from you, luckily still have power. Stay safe and dry.

At this point I'm worried about their return now.

Praying that they can even get off the ship with the damage done to the city. The legistics of disembarking will be a nightmare. Hoping their cars are not damaged. Still no word on the south shore of New Jersey, but with the 13' surge in the battery, there may be flooding at port.

At least they will have a good rest of the week in Bermuda.

Someone I know on the ship posted this on Facebook this morning, all is well....

"I met sandy "eye to eye" in the atlantic over 100 knots of wind and 30 to 40 ft seas the Explorer took it like a champ and we will be in bermuda on wednesday morning at 715 as planned

I hope all is well back home and I will talk to everyone soon"

here's another update..

they woke up to blue skies and gentle seas and will be in Bermuda as scheduled

no word on the port situation here. I'm assuming they're coming home as scheduled.

hope everyone stateside is safe and warm. I'll have another update tonight or tomorrow for everyone. I'm glad my mom was able to keep everyone abreast of the situation there. I know for me it was frightening.

But how are you?? Hope everthing is O.K. in Philly:o

we're one of the extremely lucky ones... we just got our power back, while the majority of my county is dark. we happen to share a grid with the police and fire departments, and they go back on first. there are hundreds and hundreds of trucks from other regions helping PECO get the power back, and it's nice to see them out there working so hard for us. our basement is soaked, but with the power on, the sump pump is doing its thing and draining it out. other than that, no damage to the house or anything. my little one doesn't have school again tomorrow, and the roads are a mess with downed wires and trees, but from the short drive we took today to get some food, it looked like most people got incredibly lucky with trees missing houses and cars by feet. sadly, not everyone has been as fortunate.

philly seems to have gotten off easy, i'm relieved... it could have been a lot worse for them. my county and our neighboring county... not so lucky. i hope everyone else is safe and weathered the storm okay.

Glad to hear that. The pics that are coming out this morning are absolutely incredible. What most people don't know is this has been happening for a while. Back in 1821 there was another epic storm (no green house then) and the historians say it was just as damaging, but since there were hardly any people inland and no infrastructure to speak of it was not as widely reported. Good to hear somebody has fared well. God bless you all up there!

Now roll up your sleeves and get at it...the spirit of America!

But how are you?? Hope everthing is O.K. in Philly:o

We are in Delaware County, right south of Philly.

If you were to draw a line from Cape May inland through DELCO, we were pretty much spared. Travel about 10 miles north of Philly, Bucks County and 10 miles north of Cape May ...... Avalon, Ocean City, Atlantic City, this is where it was bad, and got worse travelling north all the way to NYC.

We are in Delaware County, right south of Philly.

If you were to draw a line from Cape May inland through DELCO, we were pretty much spared. Travel about 10 miles north of Philly, Bucks County and 10 miles north of Cape May ...... Avalon, Ocean City, Atlantic City, this is where it was bad, and got worse travelling north all the way to NYC.

I grew up in Folcroft (Del. Co.) & my sister said her power went out for a short period of time- I live in Exton & only lost it for about 1 minute.

Pat

Glad to hear that. The pics that are coming out this morning are absolutely incredible. What most people don't know is this has been happening for a while. Back in 1821 there was another epic storm (no green house then) and the historians say it was just as damaging, but since there were hardly any people inland and no infrastructure to speak of it was not as widely reported. Good to hear somebody has fared well. God bless you all up there!

Now roll up your sleeves and get at it...the spirit of America!

you're so right -- we don't really think about the big I Ws I the past. and the last few years we've been projected to be walloped but then fared pretty well while up north more or south has gotten it. I guess you only get lucky so many times before its your turn.

It's been an emotional 48 hours to see so much devastation. bux/mont (the next door county and mine) got hit so much harder than expected but the outpouring of support has been uplifting. to see the national news you'd think only NYC got hit but we have so many people coming from down south (bus loads apparently from New Orleans) to help people out it's amazing. neighbors helping neighbors. neighborhoods banding together and removing trees. the coldness that I hate about my area seems to have disappeared in light of this mess

now if only we could get the kids back to school. cabin fever is a sweeping epidemic

We are tuf in the northeast. A storm doesn't dampen our spirits as long as the beer doesn't run out and we can at least listen to our football games on a portable radio.

This is a chance to finally lose those extra pounds we gained on our cruise over Columbus Day! Think I added at least 5 pounds during the storm.

Next cruise out of NY Feb 2. Hopefully, it will be an uneventful cruise.

Does everyone gain weight eating and drinking during a storm? We stocked up on food, wine, and beer. Had to replenish the beer already. Got a little wine left.

After we thought the storm was passed, we had a microburst hit on the south coast last night that knocked down power lines and trees. Son had to go into work cuz trees had fallen that knocked off the corner of a senior citizen building. Poor seniors must have been terrified.

Those passengers will never want to leave Bermuda. Bet the cocktails are flowing onboard!

The pics coming out of the Great Lakes are incredible...who'd a thunk it would have such an impact that far in!!!!!

I always think about all the frozen food ya'll must be having to BBQ up and then try to keep in ice igloos and get it eaten up. Hope everyone has enough charcoal or propane to get their barbies going.

Just thinking about all the legistics of surviving and cleaning up has me bonkers. It almost seems as if this storm is worse than Katrina in that it has affected more area of the country.

just spoke with my parents tomorrow RCCL is having a meeting with everyone to let them know whos car has been flooded and damaged due to the flooding at the port.

Oh my gosh! Are they going to read off license plate numbers? I wouldn't want to win that lottery. :( Oh, those poor people, coming back to a flooded car. I would think that is going to impact the next sailing, as well.

I'm so sorry to hear and see (on media) all the damage that occurred.

Archived