Venice disembarkation?

Estealvarado

we will be on RCI splendour of the seas next year leaving from venice upon arrival the itinearary says the ship returnes to venice at 6:45 am for anyone with experience how is the disembarkation in venice? Does it take a really long time to go through customs and disembark?

We plan on taking a flight back to the usa that same day and the flight leaves around 1 p.m. So were wondering if we will make our flight if the ship arrives at 6:45 am

We just got off in Venice yesterday.

I got up at 6am to watch the sail in and it was lovely, still quite dark, but lots of lights everywhere.

We docked at exactly 6 45am.

We had a flight at 12 15pm,booked a private transfer with click transfers .com costing 39 Euros for 2 people. We asked for a pick up at 9am.

We got off at 8 40am and as we walked out our driver was already there, we were in Marco Polo Airport at 9 05am .

Our check in opened at 10 15am and we were near the front of the queue, by the time we checked in and went through security and passport control it was 11am.

We did think of using the People Mover and Airport bus which would have been 8 Euros each, but found out that Princess was docking shortly after us, and were a bit concerned about a large volume of people using this method as well.

You will make it no problem.

No, they did not require prepayment.

I emailed them for a quote and they replied quickly confirming the price.

To make the reservation you need to give them a credit card number ,they confirm the arrangements and give you a booking reference.

A few days before the pick up, they email you with all the details, including a phone number if you can not find the driver and details of where they will meet you.

When we exited the terminal,the driver was there(along with quite a few others!!!) holding a card with my name on it.

You pay the driver when you get to the airport.

Anne

We just returned from our cruise disembarking in Venice and I used CLICK and was thoroughly pleased. He was there early with a sign with our name on it and we arrived at the airport in plenty of time for our 11:35 am flight. We got off the ship at 7:30. I would definitely use them again!

we will be on RCI splendour of the seas next year leaving from venice upon arrival the itinearary says the ship returnes to venice at 6:45 am for anyone with experience how is the disembarkation in venice? Does it take a really long time to go through customs and disembark?

We plan on taking a flight back to the usa that same day and the flight leaves around 1 p.m. So were wondering if we will make our flight if the ship arrives at 6:45 am

You will be fine.

I recently ended a cruise in Venice (3 Nov 2012) and pre-booked our taxi to Marco Polo with lowcosttaxi.net - the driver met us just outside the cruise terminal (We had scheduled for 07:45, but he was waiting when we got off at 07:30) with a sign and very quickly led us to his vehicle and took us to the airport. The ride took about 30 minutes even though the fog was as thick as pea soup! The thing I really appreciated about lowcosttaxi.net was that they did not require a credit card for confirmation. We paid cash when we arrived at VCE. They might've been slightly more expensive than others at 50 euros but that was less than half what the ship's transfer cost for a single person, forget about two.

Thanks for that Peppyrmynt,

(Love the name!!)

That is handy to know, I shall file that away for next time, we loved Venice so much, hoping to go back next year.

Ship transfers are always so much more expensive, and quoted per person, private transfer is the way to go.

The only positive for Ship transfers is, you know they will definitely be there when you exit the terminal.

I always hold my breath coming out until I see that little sign with my name on it!!!!

We are thinking about the Splendour OTS out of Venice. What is the chance of making a 10:00 AM flight? I know that the official word is to book your flight after noon but this is the only direct flight back to Atlanta. How far is it from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Thanks.

We are thinking about the Splendour OTS out of Venice. What is the chance of making a 10:00 AM flight? I know that the official word is to book your flight after noon but this is the only direct flight back to Atlanta. How far is it from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Thanks.

See the post above by Peppyrmynt. It's 8 miles and 20-30 minutes. Depends on when you dock. People self disembarked from our ship as early as 4 AM to make a 7 AM flight.

Thanks.

If you are docked in Venice overnight then there will be no problem.

You can get off as early as you wish.

If not, it all depends on what time you are scheduled to dock.

We were scheduled to dock at 6 45am and did so exactly on time.

By the time they tied the ship up and cleared customs etc express disembarkation started around 7 20am.

If you do this, you have to carry your own luggage off.

We booked a transfer with clicktransfer.com and they were there waiting for us. We were at the airport in about 25 minutes.

We were too early as our check in did not open until 10 15am.

Once it opened, we did a bag drop as we were checked in on line and were through security in 20 minutes.

Can you check in on line beforehand?

-IF- all goes to plan you SHOULD be able to make it.

Do you have a back up plan if you miss the flight?

And to answer eastealvarado, I think there were taxis there for hire, but I didn't pay a lot of attention, sorry.

See the post above by Peppyrmynt. It's 8 miles and 20-30 minutes. Depends on when you dock. People self disembarked from our ship as early as 4 AM to make a 7 AM flight.

Sorry, must have missed that comment above on the distance to the airport. Our ship arrives that morning at 6:45 so we would not be able to leave that early but thanks for your help.

Thanks.

If you are docked in Venice overnight then there will be no problem.

You can get off as early as you wish.

If not, it all depends on what time you are scheduled to dock.

We were scheduled to dock at 6 45am and did so exactly on time.

By the time they tied the ship up and cleared customs etc express disembarkation started around 7 20am.

If you do this, you have to carry your own luggage off.

We booked a transfer with clicktransfer.com and they were there waiting for us. We were at the airport in about 25 minutes.

We were too early as our check in did not open until 10 15am.

Once it opened, we did a bag drop as we were checked in on line and were through security in 20 minutes.

Can you check in on line beforehand?

-IF- all goes to plan you SHOULD be able to make it.

Do you have a back up plan if you miss the flight?

And to answer eastealvarado, I think there were taxis there for hire, but I didn't pay a lot of attention, sorry.

Thanks for your help. We have no problems carrying our own luggage off of the ship. We do it on most of our cruises. I wasn't sure how long or what the procedures were getting through customs or how long it took once we arrived at the airport.

Hi cruisingator2,

In that case, if you can manage your own luggage, and you dock on time, I think you should be fine.

Once you put your Seapass in for the last time :p, you just walk straight through to the terminal and the private transfer guys are standing at the door.

We left our room at 8 20am, were off and had our luggage by 8 40am and were at the airport by 9 05am.

Have you checked your roll call to see if anyone else is on the same flight?

Windjammer opens at 6 30am so you will have time for a quick breakfast although there are lots of eating places in the airport once you go through security.

Hope you are staying in Venice beforehand, that was our first time and it was amazing!!

Rick Steve has a free Audio guide tour that you can download for the Grand Canal, really really worth doing!!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Anne

We just returned from our cruise disembarking in Venice and I used CLICK and was thoroughly pleased. He was there early with a sign with our name on it and we arrived at the airport in plenty of time for our 11:35 am flight. We got off the ship at 7:30. I would definitely use them again!

I was researching possible costs to arrange private transport for my DD who is flying into Venice but I did not see the airport listed. What airport did you use in Venice?

Hi cruisingator2,

In that case, if you can manage your own luggage, and you dock on time, I think you should be fine.

Once you put your Seapass in for the last time :p, you just walk straight through to the terminal and the private transfer guys are standing at the door.

We left our room at 8 20am, were off and had our luggage by 8 40am and were at the airport by 9 05am.

Have you checked your roll call to see if anyone else is on the same flight?

Windjammer opens at 6 30am so you will have time for a quick breakfast although there are lots of eating places in the airport once you go through security.

Hope you are staying in Venice beforehand, that was our first time and it was amazing!!

Rick Steve has a free Audio guide tour that you can download for the Grand Canal, really really worth doing!!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Anne

We are still in the planning stages but I did email the Concierge onboard the Splendour and she told me that self debarkation starts at 7:00 for thirty minutes. If that's the case then we should be fine for a 10:30 flight.

How quick was security/customs/etc?

We are planning to arrive two full days before the cruise to take in the sites. Looking at hotels now. :)

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

The main airport for Venice is Marco Polo Airport.

There is also an airport called Treviso, used by some low cost airlines, but that is approx 40 Kms away

Thanks but I meant to focus on the ClickTransfer site. Guess I should have made it more clear. They don't list either Marco Polo or Treviso on their drop down for the airports. Not sure which one she will fly into yet.

Hi again cruisingator2,

Delighted to help. I have always appreciated help from others.

No customs or Immigration at the Cruise Terminal.

Check in, we just did a bag drop, we were quite near the top of the line, took about 15 minutes.

Lines at security were quite long, but they moved, and we were filtered into queue lanes by staff, so it was quite smooth.

We went straight through to Immigration and the queue was maybe 5 minutes.

All in all about 40 minutes which was not too bad.

May I suggest you look at the Hotel Arlecchino, lovely quaint hotel, great staff and perfect position, great reviews on Trioadvisor.

We came down from the airport using the airport bus which leaves you at Piazzela Roma.

This is the main area for buses, The People Mover to the ship, Vaporetto Station and a Gondola Station.

Look for the trees at the top of the square, walk through them, look right and there is the hotel with just one small bridge to cross.

Anne

Hi wantocruisemore,

Have just gone on to clictransfer website and I see what you mean.

I did not use that website, I just emailed asking for a quote and they replied very quickly with a quote.

They requested times etc and my credit card to confirm the booking, but they DO NOT charge it.

They then sent a booking ref and a few days beforehand, emailed a further confirmation and meeting instructions and a local phone number in case of problems.

We paid the driver when we arrived at the airport

Hi wantocruisemore,

Have just gone on to clictransfer website and I see what you mean.

I did not use that website, I just emailed asking for a quote and they replied very quickly with a quote.

They requested times etc and my credit card to confirm the booking, but they DO NOT charge it.

They then sent a booking ref and a few days beforehand, emailed a further confirmation and meeting instructions and a local phone number in case of problems.

We paid the driver when we arrived at the airport

Thanks, that is what we will do. The flight we are leaning to now based on preliminary research is a direct that am from Barcelona to Marco Polo. I would just need to arrange the private transfer for her to the ship. We fly in the day before and will stay at a hotel at P. Roma. I will not book the flight though til she gets to Barcelona this Jan. and double checks her schedule.

Hi again,

Another option for your daughter, if she can manage her luggage easily is to take the airport bus down to P Roma (7 Euros one way), and then cross the square to the People Mover which costs 1 Euro . That leaves her at the dock with a short walk to whatever pier the ship is docked at.

Anne

Archived