Is it possible to walk to the Port Everglades, terminal 18 for the Allure?

ste

ste, I hope you don't mind if I post here a similar question I have regarding Terminal 18 at Port Everglades, instead of opening a new post ;).

We will be sailing on Oasis on November 17 this year. We will arrive by rental car from Tampa around 11am. We have to return the rental car at FLL airport before we check-in for the cruise.

I wonder now if it makes sense that my husband drops me off at Terminal 18 with all the luggage and then returns the car and takes a taxi back to Port Everglades? Can I wait there before check-in with the luggage? Or will security-people have a problem with that? Is there shade or do I have to wait in the plain sun? I suppose I can not start the check-in procedure without my husband being present, right?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but it's our first cruise from that port :).

Several car rental compaines drop off at the port. Budget(Quay Location),Hertz (Crowne Plaza location), National/Alamo (airport drop off has shuttle)

Most probably will not buy TSA approved locks, since we'd first have to find out where to get them and also I have several luggage locks, don't need another one :) 11 am is a good time, as it turns out reading the posts here. I just wonder, why RCCL states in the cruise documents that we shouldn't arrive to the pier before 2 pm. :) To avoid masses? Anyhow 11 am it is :)

Most probably will not buy TSA approved locks, since we'd first have to find out where to get them and also I have several luggage locks, don't need another one :) 11 am is a good time, as it turns out reading the posts here. I just wonder, why RCCL states in the cruise documents that we shouldn't arrive to the pier before 2 pm. :) To avoid masses? Anyhow 11 am it is :)

2pm is the standard time in case there are problems docking and clearing the ship in the AM. That way they get to say we told you not to arrive before 2 pm. :rolleyes:

We always go to the pier between 11 am and Noon especially since hotel check out time is 11 am.

I'd do what you suggest--drop you off and the luggage, then drop off the rental car. There is a covered, shady area to wait outside the actual terminal. I don't recall if there are many benches to sit on outside the terminal...I think not. I have sat on my carry-on bag waiting for my Hubby.

I'm thinking your husband will need about half an hour to drop off the rental car and return depending on traffic and security gate delays.

I hope you enjoy the fabulous Allure as much as I do.

This is a bad idea. Stay with your DH. Why have your husband come through the traffic twice? There will be plenty of room on the rental car shuttle for you, your DH and your luggage.

We did not have TSA approved locks for our Mariner cruise in 2010. When we claimed our bags upon debarkation, one suitcase had been broken into obviously in the ship's hold. The zipper is broken. That was behind us buying TSA locks -- one lock for all purposes, and it worked for Oasis.

We bought our TSA approved locks from Target, but I'm not sure where you could find them.

Keep in mind, if you do not use a TSA approved lock, there is a chance that if they want to search your luggage that any other lock on there may be cut off. This can also cause damage to your zipper.

ste, I hope you don't mind if I post here a similar question I have regarding Terminal 18 at Port Everglades, instead of opening a new post ;).

We will be sailing on Oasis on November 17 this year. We will arrive by rental car from Tampa around 11am. We have to return the rental car at FLL airport before we check-in for the cruise.

I wonder now if it makes sense that my husband drops me off at Terminal 18 with all the luggage and then returns the car and takes a taxi back to Port Everglades? Can I wait there before check-in with the luggage? Or will security-people have a problem with that? Is there shade or do I have to wait in the plain sun? I suppose I can not start the check-in procedure without my husband being present, right?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but it's our first cruise from that port :).

Who did you rent the car from. There are some who have rental offices close to the pier and they will shuttle you to the ship. Thrifty for one

I think I'm going to send my suitcase to the ship unlocked (as my valuables will be with me anyway and I wont have anything else but clothes in there). That way I won't have to buy a new lock and they won't have the chance to break my suitcase. And sending my bags off the ship I'd lock them, because what if someone slips something illegal there just for fun?

Who did you rent the car from. There are some who have rental offices close to the pier and they will shuttle you to the ship. Thrifty for one
And as I posted in post #26 Budget(Quay Location),Hertz (Crowne Plaza location), National/Alamo (airport drop off has shuttle)

Not silly. The great thing about cruising out of Port Everglades is how close it is the the airport. Most of the major car rental agencies share a garage across from the airport. They provide a shuttle for passengers to the the port and to the airport at no additional charge (as of our last cruise out of Port Everglades). Very quick and easy. They will start delivering passengers to the port after most departing passengers have been picked up from the ship. I think it was around 11 am.

I know this is not going to be welcome here - we have never used locks on our suitcases. Like most only clothing is packed in our suitcases on the inbound so no reason to fool with it.

However - you are flying international - make sure you only have clothing and nothing of value in your checked luggage if you choose not to lock. If you would rather not risk problems on an international flight - you can probably buy TSA locks at a luggage store at home before you leave or go on line and search TSA - probably find something local or mail order.

Don't forget to check in on the First Time Cruisers Board and Your Meet and Mingle group.

Have a wonderful Cruise and post back after.

We have an extra night in Miami before our flight back to Europe so I will get to lock the bags for the intl flight afterwards anyway. Won't use the luggage service, where they send it straight to the airport. Don't trust others enough to let my bags travel alone :)

I will make a review of our first cruising experience for sure!

We have an extra night in Miami before our flight back to Europe so I will get to lock the bags for the intl flight afterwards anyway. Won't use the luggage service, where they send it straight to the airport. Don't trust others enough to let my bags travel alone :)

I will make a review of our first cruising experience for sure!

Looking forward to your review.

When in the airports look for Brookstone stores - they have all kinds of accessories for flying. A little pricey but really cool toys for grown ups.

I'm going on the Allure December 2nd 2012, in 30+ days :) Taxi seems to be more reasonable indeed since there are no sidewalks. And since we're also dragging along luggage for our entire U.S trip (a week in Miami before the cruise), I'm guessing that would be a hassle as well. Thanks for your replies though, being first time in the U.S, first time on a cruise ship, you can imagine how many questions one has in her head :D

hi, you can go to the port early say 10- 10:30. they usually staart boearding the ship around 11 am.

We bought our TSA approved locks from Target, but I'm not sure where you could find them.

Keep in mind, if you do not use a TSA approved lock, there is a chance that if they want to search your luggage that any other lock on there may be cut off. This can also cause damage to your zipper.

I use zipties. Keep a nail clipper in the outside zipper part, so I have that to cut the ziptie when I get to my destination. I keep extra zipties in the outside part of the suitcase also for my return. Should TSA cut it, that is what they normally put back on,

I use zipties. Keep a nail clipper in the outside zipper part, so I have that to cut the ziptie when I get to my destination. I keep extra zipties in the outside part of the suitcase also for my return. Should TSA cut it, that is what they normally put back on,

I do exactly the same thing :D even when flying over the pond...zipties (cable ties I call them) on suitcases and wee nail clipper (without the file on it) in the outside zipper part.

We sailed on the Oasis the week of the 13th, after getting off the ship and checking into our hotel DW and I walked to the Walgreens by the port and there was good sized group of crew inside buying stuff. I asked one of the crew if they walk from the ship and the answer was yes. So my guess is that if you wanted to drag your bags to the ship you could.

We sailed on the Oasis the week of the 13th, after getting off the ship and checking into our hotel DW and I walked to the Walgreens by the port and there was good sized group of crew inside buying stuff. I asked one of the crew if they walk from the ship and the answer was yes. So my guess is that if you wanted to drag your bags to the ship you could.

Yeah well, my question actually was a) would it be even possible/allowed and b) is it advisable.

Now I know that i actually can be done, but I won't try it. I'll save the extreme for nature parks and adventure trails. Safety first, so taxi it is :)

(I once tried to walk to an airport, would NOT do it again)

Yeah, a lot of folks use zipties. I think it's all in what people want to use. We don't do the zipties.

I've seen way too many things about airline employees getting into luggage and several that were interviewed (a special that aired several years ago) said that the zipties were much easier & quicker to get off than a lock. These were the guys that take your luggage out to the plane, so they typically don't have anything on them that will cut a lock off; however, nail clippers are very small and anyone can carry them.;)

We have done this numerous times. Only we both drive to the port and drop off the luggage. Then both go to the airport (a very short drive away) and return the rental car. Depending on who you rent from, there may be a free shuttle back to the port. We always rent with National and they provide the transportation. Some rental companies do not but it would be a cheap cab ride.

just what i was about to post, the crew and back to backers walk to the stores and we have stayed in hotels near enough to walk.

There are rental car drop offs near the port and they will shuttle you to the port. We're renting a car from Hertz in March and we're dropping it off at 9:30 and getting one of their shuttles to the port - they run every 20 min. So just switch your drop off to a location near the port.

Archived