NYC Transportation

MNLIvin

Can anyone give me a "best guess" of what it would cost for a cab or limo for 2 people from JFK to a hotel in Queens LI and from there to the cruise ship terminal? Old farm boy from MN so will take any info and advice at this point.

Queens is very big. Your hotel could be at JFK...which would be a cheap ride...or it could be $75 if it's at the other end of the boro.

Same for hotel to port....depends on where in Queens you are.

Can you be more specific?

If you're traveling in the very near future (this week??) I'd make plans in advance.

We're a mess.....

I can not give you an idea on price, since when I normally take a taxi in NYC it depends where I am going.

According to google you are bout 15 minutes from the pier by a car ride, so it may not be terribly expensive.

I would call the hotel and see what transportation options they may work with, since they may be able to get you a deal.

Country Inn & Suites

4034 Crescent St

Long Island

Travel March 16th sailing on the Miracle

Thank you for the response with all you have to worry about.

Joe

Whichever you choose, please be advised-----March 16 will be the St Patrick's Day Parade in NYC. It is a HUGE event. Make sure that you arrange to leave your hotel and arrive at the pier in time! See you onboard.

Al

That's in Queens...very close to Manhattan.

Google car services in Queens.

I'm getting $44 from JFK to the hotel...and it would be about that from hotel to the port.

However, these services always have coupons.

Call a few to find out...

There is a "flat fare" from the airport to Manhattan for $45. Our cabs are metered...time & mileage...so the fare from JFK to the hotel in Queens would probably be about the same.

It isn't 15 minutes from that hotel to the pier...maybe more like 30 minutes....and things depend on traffic.

ETA: The St Patricks day parade isn't near the route from hotel to pier. You would take the Triboro Bridge...and then go west. The parade is east and lower down.

Country Inn & Suites

4034 Crescent St

Long Island

Travel March 16th sailing on the Miracle

Thank you for the response with all you have to worry about.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Any particular reason you choose this hotel? Long Island City is kind of desolate in the evening. Did you check hotels on the west side of Manhattan?

The difference in price may make it worth your while to go from the airport to the hotel in the City for a set price rather than a taxi fare to the hotel and than a taxi fare from the LIC hotel to the pier.

We have a very active roll call going for this cruise. We are on it with you.

The St Patricks Day Parade is scheduled for March 16th. Very Big event in NYC.

The city will be tied up and a lot of streets will be closed or restricted.

The cab ride will probably bring you over the 59th Street Bridge as it it right there in LIC.

The bridge does not have a toll so most cabs will use it, that will bring you right into Parade.

If the hotel calls you a car service (which I suggest) they have set prices. Yellow cabs are not as easy to hail in Queens (where LIC is located) and charge you on the meter. It is set price to get in, runs for how long the ride is and will charge you while you are standing in traffic.

If you need any more info please ask.

Thanks to all that responded.

I chose this as Country Inns are usually pretty nice. Has not been booked if anyone has a good option I am open to ideas. Fly in the morning of the 15th and have no plans so feel free to throw out your thoughts.

Just to clarify for other readers:

Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens, adjacent to midtown.

Queens and Brooklyn are on the western end of Long Island, which consists of several counties in New York State. Your cabby should know the difference, but it pays to be clear especially if your driver is foreign-born.

I live in LIC, and I would leave 45 minutes to get to the pier, mostly because you'll have to cross the 59th Street bridge and go crosstown, and you never know how the traffic is going to be.

LIC is not a sexy location, but it is extremely convenient to midtown and much cheaper than Manhattan. The hotel you're staying at is one of the new ones by the bridge, which is an area undergoing a rapid transformation with several very nice new condos and hotels. Being a transportation hub, there are several recognizable fast food chains there. For a late night drink, hit the Ravel Hotel which has a rooftop bar with amazing views over the water of the city.

At night, stay away from the Queensbridge Houses on 21st Street (no reason you would be over there anyway).

LIC was very lightly affected by Sandy. A few trees down, but you would never know we had anything other than a heavy rainstorm. We are SO thankful.

I just reread the post about the St Patrick's Day parade being on the 16th. This will create great difficulty getting crosstown, you'll have to go way out of your way to get around it (down to the Midtown Tunnel, across 34the Street, and back uptown again). I agree it might be best to find a place on the west side, and avoid the whole thing.

Oh my gosh.

I almost feel like I know less now than before. What are some suggestions. Be gentle on an old MN farm boy as the cow seems to give less mike since I retired.

Thanks to all--much appreciated.

Joe,

Quite a few of us from the roll call are staying in Manhattan on the West Side. We are staying in the Holiday Inn Midtown located on 57th Street and 8th Avenue. Technically walking distance to the piers. Many are staying at the Millenium Broadway.

I would STRONGLY :) suggest you find a Hotel on Manhattan's West Side.

Any where west of 5th Avenue will keep you on the other side of the Parade route.

The difference in price is a wash. Good luck!

This is the link to our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1568860

I found one at 440 west 57th. Does that sound right?

Yes. That hotel is technically walking distance. About 7 Long city blocks.You can also grab a cab right out in front or have the hotel call you a car service.

The best way from JFK is by yellow cab. When you come out of the terminal, the cab stands are right there. There is a dispatcher that will ask you where you are going, tell you how much and give you a receipt.

From any hotel (depending on where you are staying), get a yellow cab, this will be on the meter. Short ride, usually 10-15 dollars including tip.

Leaving the cruise ship, (if you are flying home the same day), Walk (CAREFULLY) across 12th Avenue and there is a yellow cab stand right across street

rates:.

From the nyc.gov website

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

If passengers request multiple stops, the flat rate of $52.00 will be collected at the first stop in either Manhattan or JFK International Airport, and the meter will be activated at Rate Code 1 (standard city rate) for the remainder of the trip. The metered fare should be collected at the last stop, from the last passenger.

All trips between JFK International Airport and New York City destinations other than Manhattan will use that standard metered rate

Yes. That hotel is technically walking distance. About 7 Long city blocks.You can also grab a cab right out in front or have the hotel call you a car service.

The best way from JFK is by yellow cab. When you come out of the terminal, the cab stands are right there. There is a dispatcher that will ask you where you are going, tell you how much and give you a receipt.

From any hotel (depending on where you are staying), get a yellow cab, this will be on the meter. Short ride, usually 10-15 dollars including tip.

Leaving the cruise ship, (if you are flying home the same day), Walk (CAREFULLY) across 12th Avenue and there is a yellow cab stand right across street

rates:.

From the nyc.gov website

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

If passengers request multiple stops, the flat rate of $52.00 will be collected at the first stop in either Manhattan or JFK International Airport, and the meter will be activated at Rate Code 1 (standard city rate) for the remainder of the trip. The metered fare should be collected at the last stop, from the last passenger.

All trips between JFK International Airport and New York City destinations other than Manhattan will use that standard metered rate

You do NOT have to cross 12th Avenue to get a cab. There are many cabs right in front of the Cruise Terminal in the "Passenger Pick Up Area". If you need assistance finding it, ask a porter or Cruise Terminal Represenative, they will give you directions.

Archived