A Grouch Does the Prinsendam – Live

whogo

Hope the ship does less pitching today and across the Atlantic. I am interested in your review of Horta. I could not find much to do there. I understand the blue hydrangeas that cover the hills are gorgeous but probably too late to see them.

Good luck on the closet light!

Horta is a fun place to wander around; we had a driver who took us around the island a bit; beautiful scenery. In Horta, a must-visit is Peter's Bar. There is a scrimshaw museum upstairs. Also, take a look at all the "artwork" from passing yachts and sailors. Similar to what is found in Skagway on the rocks.

Hope you enjoy Horta!!

And thank you for your fun to read and informative journal!

Denice

November 8, 2012

cruiselecturefan asked about our lecturer. He is Jim McParland, a geology graduate who taught high school science. He is Canadian, a nature loving outdoorsman and outdoor sports enthusiast. His love of the outdoors shows through in his lectures. The lectures I attended concentrated on geology, which makes sense when visiting islands on the Mid-atlantic Ridge. He makes good use of the TV projectors in the showroom.

I have not heard the psychology lecturer, Pat Pearson. The first cruise ship lectures I remember were on a 1998 Royal Caribbean Baltic cruise where we laughed at how quickly the dry lecturer put the old folks to sleep. We joked that people attended the lectures just to get a nap.

Today started off inauspiciously when I cut my nose shaving. Ate in the Lido instead of the dining room because of our early excursion. The cook broke a yolk in my over easy eggs. I told him that would go on his permanent record. He then put hash browns on my plate when I had asked him not to. He removed the hash browns and said, “Permanent record.” My day had to get better.

The island of Faial, Azores, was a delight with lush greenery, small fields, cows, goats and small towns. The caldera was a bit of a bust as it was hidden by fog. One of us had a hot tea and the other a Sagres beer at a comfort stop. We wandered around Capelinhos, the site of a 1957-58 volcanic eruption that added a square mile of land to the island. Beautiful landscape has few plants. We were able to walk down to the ocean. Guide, bus, and driver were good. Others reported good luck using a taxi for less money.

We walked from the pier back to the famous Peter's Cafe Sport, where one of us had a Super Bock beer. The scrimshaw museum was closed during the lunch crush. Cafe Sport overlooks the yacht harbor, a famous stopping off point for transatlantic sailors. We saw one bearded man who may have been sailing solo too long. He looked like he was unused to civilization. I was vexed by a long wait for a tender back to the ship, they did not seem to be trying to get to the ship. The captain explained later that the tendering takes place in the lee of the ship and as the ship swings at anchor the tenders have to wait for the ship to get back into a protecting position. Shame there is never anyone ashore or on the tenders to explain such delays.

Speedy service at a table for two gave us a record fast one hour dining time. Soup was too hot to eat, possibly a Holland America first. Best towel animal ever, an elephant with a chocolate balanced on his trunk. Next port is Fort Lauderdale after six days at sea.

Charity of the Day: Teenage Mothers of Teenagers.

November 9, 2012

I got it! I got it!

You will recall yesterday's bad omens. I got the respiratory ailment that is going around. I am blaming the lout that I felt cough on me on our Faial excursion, but it could have been anyone. Jim McParland's Azores lecture was a constant cough fest. The nightly shows are probably just as bad, but the music drowns out the coughs. I am laying low, trying to keep away from other people. I did sit down in an isolated corner of the Ocean Bar while my wife slept this morning, but a staff member immediately started vacuuming near me. I was constantly being chased by vacuums on my last cruise and wonder why they can't vacuum at 3 AM instead of 8 AM. I hope I have not become a vacuum magnet again. Received a note that the water would be turned off between midnight and 2 AM for maintenance and would like to see vacuuming done at similar times.

We received chocolates to apologize for our air conditioner outage. I thought the problem had been handled quickly and there was no need, but I just finished the last of them. In other Prinsendam notes, I walked through the halls of the new aft AB cabins on deck 8 without noticing unusual vibrations, but I have not tried sleeping in those cabins. There was a nasty vibration for a few minutes while sailing days ago. It felt and sounded worse than the thrusters. Also, there is a lot of traffic through the front dining room with most aft diners walking through there after their meals. There is word that we will have limited satellite TV for three days. If this affects the internet, you won't hear from me.

The Prinsendam has brought back “Cruise Classics”: horse racing, blongo ball, bean bag toss, bocce ball, and ring toss. I saw the start of the horse racing, but have not taken part in any of these. I do not know if prizes are offered.

Explorations Speaker Pat Pearson's lecture topics include The Psychology of Rewarding Relationships, Why Passion and Purpose Can Extend Your Life, an The Psychology of Living a Better Life. I won't be attending.

Here is the crew, as best I can make out:

Captain, Halle Thon Gundersen

Hotel Director, Craig Oakes

Cruise Director, Carlos Mendoza

Assistant Cruise Director, Marcel

Explorations Speaker, Jim McParland

Explorations Speaker, Pat Pearson

Piano Bar, Daryl

Cocktail Music, Jerry Moors (piano, one hour pre-dinner)

Travel Guide, Daniel

Lifestylist, Meagan

Techspert, Kristen

Party Planner, Annette

Fitness, Laura

Librarian, Anya

Internet, Dragan

Priest. Have not met him. I have seen a clergyman with a HAL name tag and assume it is he.

Whogo,

Thanks again for the daily update; I can now relax the rest of the evening and quit checking the roll call! I certainly do not want to miss anything!

Sorry to hear about all the coughing. My dh is still doing a good bit, but nothing llike before. And better to be home even though I am still suffering with cruise withdrawal............... I hope you and dw stay well.

You haven't mentioned the closet lights or spys lately. Did you solve the problems?

Hope you have calm seas for the rest of the cruise!

Whogo - hope you don't lose internet as we are enjoying you too much:D but if there is a gap :D- we get it.

Do hope you are feeling better quickly and that your crossing on the Atlantic is a smooth one:)

Thanks again for great updates and for your fabulous sense of humour:)

November 10, 2012

Great rack of lamb last night at a table for two. A fellow cruiser accused us of being separatists for dining alone. Explorations speaker Jim McParland has been apologizing for overcast skies all cruise. DW finally had some stars available for viewing last night under his direction. Jupiter was very bright.

I will try to live up to my grouch reputation by mentioning a few things around the Prinsendam. I have noticed a sewer smell a few times on the outside promenade deck. There was such an unpleasant smell when we embarked in Horta that a couple of crew members were wearing face masks (I doubt that the masks were effective against odors.) Heard a terrible metallic clanking noise at Lido breakfast and found it was the aft awning flapping. They can not replace the awning soon enough in the upcoming dry dock. I heard from someone who heard from someone that the dry dock would replace the propellors, the propellor shafts, turbines, thrusters, bow (!), and the upholstery in cabins. Sounds like a lot to do in two weeks. I would not chance the first cruise after such an extensive dry dock. DW and others showed up for the birthstone seminar, but no staff did. In a cruise first, I found chair hogs in the library and Explorer's Lounge, eight chairs empty except for a book. I attempted to remove one and was told that the man's wife was returning. She did. To wrap up the grouching, I was just kicked out of a comfy sofa so the photographers could set up. I am dressing for formal night in a well tailored sport coat and tie instead of an ill-fitting polyester dinner jacket.

I have dreamed of taking an around the world voyage, but I don't think I could last even thirty days on Holland America without strangling the cruise director with his microphone cord. I am not picking on Carlos, they all make too many announcements and sales pitches.

Not much to do and all day to do it. It is the second Mariner's lunch. We are not attending. I'd rather have a regular dining room lunch than shake the captain's hand and have a glass of bubbly. Lost badly at trivia, all my fault.

Still a great cruise.

November 10, 2012

Great rack of lamb last night at a table for two. A fellow cruiser accused us of being separatists for dining alone. Explorations speaker Jim McParland has been apologizing for overcast skies all cruise. DW finally had some stars available for viewing last night under his direction. Jupiter was very bright.

I will try to live up to my grouch reputation by mentioning a few things around the Prinsendam. I have noticed a sewer smell a few times on the outside promenade deck. There was such an unpleasant smell when we embarked in Horta that a couple of crew members were wearing face masks (I doubt that the masks were effective against odors.) Heard a terrible metallic clanking noise at Lido breakfast and found it was the aft awning flapping. They can not replace the awning soon enough in the upcoming dry dock. I heard from someone who heard from someone that the dry dock would replace the propellors, the propellor shafts, turbines, thrusters, bow (!), and the upholstery in cabins. Sounds like a lot to do in two weeks. I would not chance the first cruise after such an extensive dry dock. DW and others showed up for the birthstone seminar, but no staff did. In a cruise first, I found chair hogs in the library and Explorer's Lounge, eight chairs empty except for a book. I attempted to remove one and was told that the man's wife was returning. She did. To wrap up the grouching, I was just kicked out of a comfy sofa so the photographers could set up. I am dressing for formal night in a well tailored sport coat and tie instead of an ill-fitting polyester dinner jacket.

I have dreamed of taking an around the world voyage, but I don't think I could last even thirty days on Holland America without strangling the cruise director with his microphone cord. I am not picking on Carlos, they all make too many announcements and sales pitches.

Not much to do and all day to do it. It is the second Mariner's lunch. We are not attending. I'd rather have a regular dining room lunch than shake the captain's hand and have a glass of bubbly. Lost badly at trivia, all my fault.

Still a great cruise.

You go ahead and be a separtist! Nothing wrong with a table for two at all:D Dh and I are going to give it a shot next cruise for the fun of it:D

Yes the Prinsendam is scheduled for a lot to be done for sure - let's hope they do it right - this ship deserves to be cared for.

I assume the bow they are replacing is where the ship was dinged a couple of years ago? I understood they were also enclosing the Lido aft portion to make it more usable in inclement weather.

sounds like the crew are going to be very busy indeed.

You go ahead and grouch away whogo - your posts are very enjoyable. Btw - I still don't consider you a grouch:D

November 10, 2012

<snip>I would not chance the first cruise after such an extensive dry dock.

Been there, done that and absolutely don't recommend it! :eek:

<snip> I have dreamed of taking an around the world voyage, but I don't think I could last even thirty days on Holland America without strangling the cruise director with his microphone cord. I am not picking on Carlos, they all make too many announcements and sales pitches.

Sure hoping we can do our 31 day Collectors cruise without resorting to same.... but I get exactly what you are saying..... :rolleyes:

Still a great cruise.

Glad things are going reasonably well for you. Hope the cough passes on... maybe the vacuuming crew members are trying to vacuum it out of you? :)

Hope you are feeling better Whogo. I have thoroughly enjoyed your daily comments and perspective on this cruise, and look forward to your remaining posts. I would like to ask you a huge favour, and hope it is not an inconvenience. If you run into Jim McParland this week, tell him cruiselecturefan misses him here at home and is looking forward to his arrival home in a few more days. Enjoy the remaining time on the Prinsendam. Cruising with Holland America is a wonderful experience.

November 10, 2012

Still a great cruise.

Rack of lamb is one of my favorites! Funny that chair hogs have moved inside:rolleyes:.

November 11, 2012, thanks vets.

Last night wind was from the south at 41 knots, really howling. Did just one half lap of the promenade deck yesterday, did not like getting drenched with salt spray or trying to walk into the wind. Hard rain this morning before clearing a bit. With a following wind walking outside was pleasant and I read a while on the veranda.

We observed a minute of silence at 11:00 before Jim McParland's humpback whale lecture. We haven't seen a marine mammal, yet, others have seen dolphins. I heard that the whale watching excursion in the Azores had no whale sightings, glad I did not book that one.

Paella buffet in the dining room was a big hit with me with lamb chops and roast suckling pig. The waiters were dressed in Spanish hats with the little dangling balls, very festive. Service can be hit or miss at these buffets with long waits for ice water or tea. Best meal thus far was the leg of lamb for dinner, delicious, with excellent service. The big, round table in the back of the dining room is not my favorite with engine noise and some vibration.

A vacuum cleaner chased me out of the Lido pre-dinner. Violinists Lazslo & Claudia put on a good show, marred by the fellow next to me that yakked to his wife. I was driven from Danny Rhodes' Rat Pack and Swing Tribute by a guy that had to sing along. If you hear of a cruise director strangled by his microphone cord, a crew member choked by a vacuum hose, and a few murdered Prinsendam cruisers, you don't know nuttin', got it?

It's a great cruise.

November 10, 2012

Great rack of lamb last night at a table for two. A fellow cruiser accused us of being separatists for dining alone. . DW and others showed up for the birthstone seminar, but no staff did.

. Lost badly at trivia, all my fault.

Still a great cruise.

Your meals sound better than those we had on The Rotterdam a few years ago, maybe because we did not get fixed dining. On Azamara, the tables for two were separated enough to drop a pair of sunglasses between them if positioned properly. Three 2tops looked like a six seat picnic table.

Our cruise director only gave announcements with incorrect information, no buss on corner when there was one, nothing to see or do if you don't buy the ship's tour, etc. I missed two ports because of that and would have liked to drop her overboard out where the TV reception was missing! Never saw her, maybe she knew!

Our trivia had three of us show up for history with a girl who had been given the job minutes before and had probably flunked history. Never saw another notice for trivia in 8 sea days!

Our cruise was saved by having great weather and fellow pax. We spemt all day every day on deck playing cards and reading.

November 12, 2012

There is nobody around at 5:00 AM. The Lido is dark. Is it possible that there is nowhere to buy booze at this hour? Even the Java Bar is dark.

It has started again. I was chased out of the library by a vacuum and now they are coming at me from both ends of the Explorer's Lounge. Aagh! Another blocks my escape through the Java Bar. This is like a horror movie. The spying staff knows I hate vacuum cleaners and they are all out to get me. I am not paranoid.

Seriously, the dust that vacuum cleaners stir up bothers me at the best of times and the irritation is worse with this cold. I am more sensitive to cigarette smoke now, too. The cold is much improved, I cough rarely. While I am grouching, the fresh squeezed orange juice must be fresh squeezed hours before it is served. It settles out to translucent liquid on the bottom and glass clinging pulp on top, delicious, but not visually appealing.

A quick scan of the deck plan shows eight sets of public toilets. A bonsai tree was flourishing in the mens room I used. That is a good indication of cleanliness, most mens rooms grow nothing but mold and mildew.

We went down to our regular dining room lunch and found ourselves at the Indonesian buffet, an absolute madhouse. You would think that after a few weeks on board no one would be that anxious to pile up a plateful. As it turns out, the buffet was for collector's cruise members, those who had been on the previous cruise or cruises. We were 45 minutes late and the place was still a zoo. That is the first party I have crashed in years.

We are not winning at trivia. What was the name of Sherlock Holmes's landlady? What was Sherlock's trusted companion's full name? What is the biggest selling gin in the world? What does the T.S. in T.S. Eliot stand for? Better luck next cruise.

It is a great cruise.

Archived